2024 Class Rankings and Discussion

KDB

Thought this was interesting...

On Liam McNeeley.. 

"The 6’7 wing and top-10 overall prospect has six teams involved, with Indiana viewed as a major contender. How that works after landing Mackenzie Mgbako will be interesting but look out for Alabama, Kansas, and Texas in this recruitment."

On Asa Newell... 

"Indiana is definitely a team to watch, though its frontcourt situation has to be worked out. Five-star freshman Mackenzie Mgbako is a combo forward, while the projected starting frontcourt is Malik Reneau and Kel’el Ware, two sophomores that are former five-star recruits themselves. So unless 1 or 2 are guaranteed to depart, it’d be too crowded a situation for Newell."

On Derik Queen... 

" A case could be made that I shouldn’t even have Queen listed among recruitments to watch since it could already be over. Maryland, which has been after the big man for a long time, is viewed as a heavy favorite to land the top-10 overall prospect.

Other programs that could also get into the mix are Indiana, Houston, and LSU, as well as another local program in Georgetown."

On Boogie Fland... 

" Recruiting battle: Alabama vs Kentucky vs UConn vs Maryland vs St. John’s vs UNC vs Michigan

The clear team that stands out is St. John’s"

IU is not even mentioned...

A lot of this is contrary to what we've been hearing... I trust our insiders and sources more than I do this guy... 

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Thought this was interesting...

On Liam McNeeley.. 

"The 6’7 wing and top-10 overall prospect has six teams involved, with Indiana viewed as a major contender. How that works after landing Mackenzie Mgbako will be interesting but look out for Alabama, Kansas, and Texas in this recruitment."

On Asa Newell... 

"Indiana is definitely a team to watch, though its frontcourt situation has to be worked out. Five-star freshman Mackenzie Mgbako is a combo forward, while the projected starting frontcourt is Malik Reneau and Kel’el Ware, two sophomores that are former five-star recruits themselves. So unless 1 or 2 are guaranteed to depart, it’d be too crowded a situation for Newell."

On Derik Queen... 

" A case could be made that I shouldn’t even have Queen listed among recruitments to watch since it could already be over. Maryland, which has been after the big man for a long time, is viewed as a heavy favorite to land the top-10 overall prospect.

Other programs that could also get into the mix are Indiana, Houston, and LSU, as well as another local program in Georgetown."

On Boogie Fland... 

" Recruiting battle: Alabama vs Kentucky vs UConn vs Maryland vs St. John’s vs UNC vs Michigan

The clear team that stands out is St. John’s"

IU is not even mentioned...

A lot of this is contrary to what we've been hearing... I trust our insiders and sources more than I do this guy... 

Yeah, I'd have to think IU is definitely in the mx for Boogie.  Sounds like it's all guesswork as usual.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

So clearly there’s positive news coming out today with Liam, Queen, and Boogie. 

Even Coach SS tweeting about it lol.

C02E2E21-C75F-4D79-8D61-10DF0326E4D5.png

C606FE13-2DEE-47CA-8130-D99EEF68F1C8.png

It’s being a bit exaggerated. Peegs has had good things to say the last two weeks on his ILTR and basically people are running with it. Cam Scott going to TX helps a lot though. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Andrew said:

It’s being a bit exaggerated. Peegs has had good things to say the last two weeks on his ILTR and basically people are running with it. Cam Scott going to TX helps a lot though. 

Thanks! I figured it wasn’t a commitment or anything drastic. 

Mind elaborating on why that helps with Liam. I thought Scott was a SG and Liam is a SF? 

21 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

Thanks! I figured it wasn’t a commitment or anything drastic. 

Mind elaborating on why that helps with Liam. I thought Scott was a SG and Liam is a SF? 

He didnt go in much depth but he basically said it doesn’t hurt iu at all that cam Scott committed 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Bidunga to Auburn?

"Once considered all but a lock to commit to Duke, the recruitment process for Congo native who attends Kokomo High School has reportedly changed drastically. Jon Scheyer and the Blue Devils have seemingly dropped out of the race for Bidunga, and he now favors the Auburn Tigers" 

🤔

What's up with this recruitment??   SMH.   

2 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

What's up with this recruitment??   SMH.   

I don't know, and this is purely speculation, but...

The last 3 in the race were all a little shady pre NIL... And I wouldn't be surprised if they bend the rules on NIL now. I think it boiled down to a bidding war.

I know a lot of people, particularly whiney Kansas fans (and the Bidunga article I linked was from a Kansas "insider" <snicker>), thought Mgbako's recruitment boiled down to money, but subsequent articles about his mother reaching out to Coach Woodson says there was at least another component to it.

Mike Woodson said these words back in May of 2022 

“The NIL is there to pay players money, and if they can negotiate their money, I’m happy for them,” Woodson said.  “But you come to college to get an education and play basketball.  That to me is first and foremost, and if you think any other way, I don’t want you on our ball club.  You can go somewhere else and do your thing.”

Maybe an example of this here? 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Bidunga to Auburn?

"Once considered all but a lock to commit to Duke, the recruitment process for Congo native who attends Kokomo High School has reportedly changed drastically. Jon Scheyer and the Blue Devils have seemingly dropped out of the race for Bidunga, and he now favors the Auburn Tigers" 

🤔

I think Pearl was at the state championship game and I thought, no chance here fat guy.  

I just hope for the kids sake he actually develops and makes it.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Bidunga to Auburn?

🤔

Hopefully for the kids sake the adults around him finally get out of the way  and he has a chance to just play. From what some have shared on here from the beginning this was an odd recruitment all the way around. Good luck to him.

We'll be just fine with our class once it all starts.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

I think Pearl was at the state championship game and I thought, no chance here fat guy.  

I just hope for the kids sake he actually develops and makes it.  

I think he would be a better fit at Auburn than most places. They run a frenetic offense that is very guard dominant. He would have a lot of rim runs and scoring opportunities at point blank range. Fits SEC style of play as well (focus more on athleticism). Pearl has his issues but he is a good coach. Doesn’t hurt Auburn is willing to pay to play as well. I’m sure they will arrange a good package for the kid.