Welcome to IU, Kel’el Ware!!!!

Some thoughts for Ware:

1.) If Woodson can turn him into a sure fire lottery pick(think he was projected late lottery/late first round pick), that's two years in a row Iu would be sending a lottery player.  Young guys that want to get to the NBA, will definitely be taking notice and wanting to come to IU.

2.) Ware may not be as polished with the ball around the rim or bringing the ball up the court as TJD was, however, he's a few inches taller and can step out and shoot the long ball.  An option that CMW did not have with TJD last year(not speaking down on TJD because he was never asked to do this)

3.) If we are lucky to get two years of both Ware and Malik together, I will be shocked.  I think Ware is one and done but I think Malik will be back for a third year.  

4.) Curious at how much NIL money the kid got.  I know we have a lot to spend/offer.

37 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Some thoughts for Ware:

1.) If Woodson can turn him into a sure fire lottery pick(think he was projected late lottery/late first round pick), that's two years in a row Iu would be sending a lottery player.  Young guys that want to get to the NBA, will definitely be taking notice and wanting to come to IU.

2.) Ware may not be as polished with the ball around the rim or bringing the ball up the court as TJD was, however, he's a few inches taller and can step out and shoot the long ball.  An option that CMW did not have with TJD last year(not speaking down on TJD because he was never asked to do this)

3.) If we are lucky to get two years of both Ware and Malik together, I will be shocked.  I think Ware is one and done but I think Malik will be back for a third year.  

4.) Curious at how much NIL money the kid got.  I know we have a lot to spend/offer.

From the film.. I don't agree with #3. He isn't an explosive enough of an athlete, needs Clif Marshall and 25lbs quick. I think we will get Kel'el for 2 years.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

if we get him for two years I'll be shocked but we'll see.  I secretly hope we do.  

If he's a lottery pick next year Woodson and staff will have done an insanely good job and we will probably have a GREAT year. Hope so, but I still think we get 2 years. 

If you haven't seen the video already, google his game highlights vs MSU and vs UConn. Those videos show every shot he took, every rebound, block and turnover. He certainly has some things to work on, but man, the good parts are highly impressive. I'd say more impressive than the pure highlight video I saw before.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

(Ware) can step out and shoot the long ball.

I've seen this on multiple sites.  Over and over, writers saying he can shoot the three.  Almost every article says so.

Why?

He's a 27% 3-point shooter.  Justin Smith and Race Thompson were 26%.  People cringed when they shot threes.

Illinois was last in the BigTen at 30% 3-point shooting.  Ware's 27% was below the worst team's average.

I hope he has a great Indiana career.  Maybe he will improve.  But until he does, he's exactly the guy other teams want to shoot from three.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

I've seen this on multiple sites.  Over and over, writers saying he can shoot the three.  Almost every article says so.

Why?

He's a 27% 3-point shooter.  Justin Smith and Race Thompson were 26%.  People cringed when they shot threes.

Illinois was last in the BigTen at 30% 3-point shooting.  Ware's 27% was below the worst team's average.

I hope he has a great Indiana career.  Maybe he will improve.  But until he does, he's exactly the guy other teams want to shoot from three.

best guess.... probably did so decently in high school. You are talking about a 7' center who CAN shoot the three at a decently where you cant sag off too much. I dont think they are calling him a shooter that hits it at a high clip. He only shot 55 threes last year. if he makes 2 more threes. he would be 31%.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Anything out there as to when he would be on campus? June sometime I would think?

I would assume. I thought about that when he and Sparks committed... does Oregon/Ball St allow these guys to continue to work with their dudes/in their weight room? or? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

I would assume. I thought about that when he and Sparks committed... does Oregon/Ball St allow these guys to continue to work with their dudes/in their weight room? or? 

i would think it would depend on when the scholly officially ends. Otherwise could be a liability issue. I'm sure the former school wouldn't want to be on the hook for treating an injury.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...