2023 Mackenzie Mgbako COMMITS TO INDIANA UNIVERSITY!!!

The thing is, Mgbako or any high level player isn’t less likely to be drafted in the NBA by coming here instead of Kansas (or UK, Duke, UNC, etc.), so long as they play well and are in a position to showcase their talents.

We as fans start splitting hairs when discussing facilities, exposure, perks, etc., when it really comes down to fit and relationships. It’s like any job, it can be a make or break based on who you are working with and surrounded by.

Those connections are intangibles that can’t really be quantified on paper, so truthfully, we have no idea. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

The thing is, Mgbako or any high level player isn’t less likely to be drafted in the NBA by coming here instead of Kansas (or UK, Duke, UNC, etc.), so long as they play well and are in a position to showcase their talents.

We as fans start splitting hairs when discussing facilities, exposure, perks, etc., when it really comes down to fit and relationships. It’s like any job, it can be a make or break based on who you are working with and surrounded by.

Those connections are intangibles that can’t really be quantified on paper, so truthfully, we have no idea. 

Are you being level-headed about this? What the hell is wrong with you?! 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Going to do my best to be super clear here. I love our "insiders" that post here, BTB's and other forums. I think they're good people, great members of these communities, I enjoy what they share, and I hope they always continue to share and post. This isn't a knock on them whatsoever. 

With that said, I think 90-95% of the "insider" information is BS, and I'm including the twitter people, reporters, etc.. I believe our insiders have connections and I believe they hear things from those connections and they share it. Again, I have no issue with the "insiders" themselves, this isn't about them.

But, I've been on the inside at the NBA level. Maybe not apples-to-apples, but pretty darn close. The people that the "insiders" are connected to don't know much. They're sharing what they think they know to seem important. Anyone that actually knows what is really going on isn't running around sharing it.

Part of my job in the NBA was to monitor blog sites, media, etc. I would literally sit at my desk with co-workers LOL'ing at the stuff on those sites being passed around as "insider information" and talked about like it was real and accurate. It was almost always not even remotely close. 

I was in PR, so not in basketball operations, but as close as you can get without being in that department. I'd write the press releases when we made a trade, so again super early in the chain of people finding out about our transactions, and they were almost always out of the blue. I attended all of the draft workouts and sat in the teams war room, yet almost never knew who we were going to draft until the GM told us. The trades we announced were almost (keyword, because of course some times things do get out) never things that were being rumored in the media, blogs, etc.

I mean, Mike Woodson and the coaching staff aren't leaking information on each step of the recruitments like a lot of people seem to think. They're not leaking info on recruiting visits to Jeff Rabjohns like some seem to think.

The vast majority of info that comes out is the telephone game with one-sided info originated from people that really don't know anything. 

^^ this - my point is that let's all accept that, at the most, any of our insiders (bar the rare occurrence where it's an actual family relationship or something) are at best reading tea leaves and we'll all be a lot happier.  

Insiders - post your stuff, put your neck out there, but don't be upset if someone questions you.  Why do you care what a poster thinks?

Everyone else - don't bite the hand that feeds you!! This is a MESSAGE BOARD.  There are very few requirements to post here.  This is a fact that everyone should be grateful for, because if not, nobody would be able to post.  

Keep it light and casual folks, don't shoot the messenger, but also don't get mad if you get shot at when you post inside info that is... wrong.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Good job IU on the video. Pretty awesome. Pure gut feeling, but I feel pretty good about this one since we're getting a visit. I think we're his best opportunity for the combination of heavy minutes, big stage, and potential team success. JHS and TJD both being projected as potential first round picks is a big selling point, especially because of where they were projected before the season. Woody and staff have done a good job of securing commitments on these type of short recruitments when they get a visit, why not do it again!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, KDB said:

Good job IU on the video. Pretty awesome. Pure gut feeling, but I feel pretty good about this one since we're getting a visit. I think we're his best opportunity for the combination of heavy minutes, big stage, and potential team success. JHS and TJD both being projected as potential first round picks is a big selling point, especially because of where they were projected before the season. Woody and staff have done a good job of securing commitments on these type of short recruitments when they get a visit, why not do it again!

Agree.  Louisville, OTOH, would shock me a lot more than Kansas.  I mean, how on earth do you sell 4 & 28?

Edited by FKIM01
  • Like 4

33 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Agree.  Louisville, OTOH, would shock me a lot more than Kansas.  I mean, how on earth to you sell 4 & 28?

Louisville has the 7th rated 2023 class nationally, and the 2nd rated class in the ACC to Duke... So they're selling something... 

I'm not sold on Kenny Payne as a coach though... He had 5 RSCI top 80 kids on the roster last year... 

• Like 2

I’ve generally, over the last decade, been down on recruiting with as many close losses as we’ve had. At this point it wouldn’t surprise me if he gets a flat on the way to the airport. With that said, the short recruitments have worked over the last two years; which gives me hope. Just a small amount, to be crushed at a later date. Glutton for punishment, but I want more. 

2 hours ago, MoyeCowbell said:

Correct. Ant Edwards was the top HS prospect in 2019. He went to GA because it was close to home. They were 5-13 in the SEC. He was still the #1 draft pick. KY is the place where guys fall in the draft

43 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Louisville has the 7th rated 2023 class nationally, and the 2nd rated class in the ACC to Duke... So they're selling something... 

I'm not sold on Kenny Payne as a coach though... He had 5 RSCI top 80 kids on the roster last year... 

Yeah...he's obviously a great recruiter.  Eventually, you'd think the lousy coaching and development would eat into that though.

He's probably about halfway between Patrick Ewing and Penny Hardaway in coaching and development.

Edited by FKIM01
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Yeah...he's obviously a great recruiter.  Eventually, you'd think the lousy coaching and development would eat into that though.

He's probably about halfway between Patrick Ewing and Penny Hardaway in coaching and development.

I'm sure it will... They lost to a lot of bad teams.

IU won 6 games in 08-09 without anywhere near that kind of talent... Bellarmine? Wright State? Appalachian State? 

I don't think he'll have a very long tenure if this year is anywhere close to last... 

6 hours ago, HoosierFaithful said:

Why does anyone on this board care about what anyone else thinks about their posts?  I think we've all shown we're mostly morons, so if someone disagrees with my post, I take it mostly as a badge of honor tbh.

I’d imagine getting the green box for a popular post is pretty disappointing on this one then…

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1