2023 Mackenzie Mgbako COMMITS TO INDIANA UNIVERSITY!!!

Just now, iuswingman said:

Yea, I don't get the visited IU out of respect thing.Ā  That would have made more sense with Louisville.Ā  He had no prior connections to the IU staff that I am aware of.

100%.Ā  If true, why wait 72 hours after canceling the UL visit to say Kansas if he was a silent commit all along?Ā Ā 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

If he was in love with IU he would have committed on the spot.

I just don't understand thinking because he wasn't impulsive he isn't coming. Nothing about this recruitment seems anything other than calculated.

It's going to come down to relationships and how they weigh the slight pros and cons of each school. They're being very thoughtful from everything we can tell.Ā 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

IU's had kid's that've been "verbal commits" on visits that didn't end up officially committing to IU. Sometimes kids say things that make coaches think they will come to their school and then they don't.

Iā€™m sure we could go back through our old recruiting threads and find an example of this happening.Ā 

29 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

So now Mark Cuban has joined in on following Mgbako. Tracking Instagram follows is just weird lolĀ 

I'm becoming more and more convinced that all of the Social Media follows by IU staff and alumni are moves of desperation. I would love nothing more to be wrong about this, but my gut says otherwise.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

5 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I just don't understand thinking because he wasn't impulsive he isn't coming. Nothing about this recruitment seems anything other than calculated.

It's going to come down to relationships and how they weigh the slight pros and cons of each school. They're being very thoughtful from everything we can tell.Ā 

OK then...

Respect and admiration?

image.png.27981002b24c3ba5850880c5b21f7aca.png

Or a creepy guy playing pocket pool with his arm around your shoulder?Ā 

image.png.0c25a80e405703d516f734df3844ab2b.png

šŸ˜®Ā 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

57 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

My guess is Kansas.Ā  And the only reason over NIL and Playing time is Kansas is more likely to make the final 4 or win a national championship.Ā  Based on the last say 20 years.Ā  Other than that, we have a great coaching staff, decent facilities and top of the line NIL.

If IU is equal or better in the NIL game they'll get him.Ā  The end game is to be a lottery pick $$$$ not get to a Final 4 to appease a fanbase.Ā  He'll be featured in IU's offense and he'll get more shots and playing time.Ā  TJD and JHS being first rounders is a big deal.Ā 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IUAlumn09 said:

I'm becoming more and more convinced that all of the Social Media follows by IU staff and alumni are moves of desperation. I would love nothing more to be wrong about this, but my gut says otherwise.

Probably the Mexican you ate last nightĀ 

• Haha 4

I think it's IU, but I won't be shocked either way.

The case for Kansas is basically the case for Duke, which he recommitted from. I understand there is a little more logjam at Duke, but the best path to minutes at Kansas is playing the 4 as they are very heavy with off guards that will take up some minutes at the 3.

I get what ya'll are saying about winning at Kansas, but I don't know how much that plays into things for an 18 year old that has seen a pretty quick rise from IU with Woodson, and when he was a little boy watching basketball he watched Mike Woodson with some pretty good Knicks teams led by Carmelo, who was followed recently by his mom (and Carmelo's kid is also a recruit we are targeting now).

IF MM is a Knicks fan, which is very possible with where he is from, Woodson would be a much bigger draw than Self in terms of coaches. I think the likelyhood of winning big next season is pretty even between the two if you add MM to our roster - I'm just not sure how much he raises their ceiling. So he can take on what may be a secondary role at KU on a top 10 team, or a primary/go-to role at IU on what could be a top 10 team.Ā 

60/40 IU, IMO.Ā 

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, IUAlumn09 said:

Donā€™t be convinced. Staff is not like that to follow out of desperation. Itā€™s much more likely the latter. Theyā€™re feeling confident.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

OK then...

Respect and admiration?

image.png.27981002b24c3ba5850880c5b21f7aca.png

Or a creepy guy playing pocket pool with his arm around your shoulder?Ā 

image.png.0c25a80e405703d516f734df3844ab2b.png

šŸ˜®Ā 

Totally hear you and tend to agree. Woodson coached some pretty good Carmelo Anthony Knicks teams when MM was probably just becoming a basketball fan in that part of the country, right?Ā 

• Like 2

My gut says Kansas unless the staff was able to sell him on the idea of being a primary or secondary option and leaving doubt that Kansas would give him such a large role.

Originally committing to Duke to me means that being part of a big brand and a team that could win a national title is important. Also probably have more NIL $ to offer.Ā 

I hope Iā€™m wrong but weā€™ve rarely won recruitments like this and have yet to see any of these people flip their predictions.Ā