Ohio State Game Thread

KDB

So I am one of those people who doesn't really have the time or desire to follow sporting events unless I have a rooting interest in the team.  I wish we could put together a football program AR some point in my lifetime so that there was something to watch in the fall.  Groundhog Day gets old....

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Pretty pleased. Both lines looked very much improved. 

That’s the main positive. Defense was impressive. We can win 6 games, but Walt Bell is going to have to improve. Least innovative offense I have ever seen. We’re in this game today with a competent OC.

• Like 1

My hope for today was that I would turn off the TV without my hopes for the year being completely crushed. Mission accomplished. 

There are obviously areas in need of improvement, but there was enough good there to give you some hope, particularly on defense. 

I’m interested to see if they are less conservative on the play calling next week and open up the offense some more against ISU. I get why they were like that today, but if that is still they way they call it next week that will be a bit concerning. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, KDB said:

That’s the main positive. Defense was impressive. We can win 6 games, but Walt Bell is going to have to improve. Least innovative offense I have ever seen. We’re in this game today with a competent OC.

How innovative do you want an OC to be with two freshmen QBs playing against a defense with 5+ pros on it? This also wasn’t Bell operating in a silo. Allen wanted this game plan. I get why it’s frustrating to watch and root for but I can’t imagine opening up the playbook would have yielded better results 

Edited by Hoosier82
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

How innovative do you want an OC to be with two freshmen QBs playing against a defense with 5+ pros on it? This also wasn’t Bell operating in a silo. Allen wanted this game plan. I get why it’s frustrating to watch and root for but I can’t imagine opening up the playbook would have yielded better results 

Yeah, definitely agree. Worst thing we could have done would have been to start slinging it and let our qb’s rack up multiple interceptions and kill their confidence.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

We did nothing to get Jaylin Lucas the ball in space, which we heard was an emphasis all off-season, and nothing to get either QB comfortable. We threw the ball 5 times in the first half and ran it 22 times. That’s about as conservative as you can be. Bell isn’t good enough. He’s been mediocre every where he’s been. This team has talent on both sides of the ball and I hope we figure it out offensively because we can win some games if we do, it’s just hard to have faith in Walt Bell. This game isn’t the start of the concerns.

• Like 2

Just getting back from the game. First off. Bloomington you'll never change and we love it. The vibe and the town is still one of the best going.

In terms of the game. Here's my 5 cent opinion. I get the strategy. When facing an opponent like that you shorten the game. The Patriots did that to Peyton for years so I understand. I will say though eventually at some point you have to take some shots but this isn't the game or script to do that. 

Our defense has something gang. Held one of the best WR's crew in all of college football essentially to nothing. Stover had a few...Harrison Jr was held in check. All in all. Casey Carr, Moore, Carter....phenomenal scheme today to disguise our stuff.

No clue what Allen was thinking at end of first half. Coaches have first game mistakes too. 

Have to figure out a way to get JL in space but Ohio St has some pretty good players too (haha). Onto next week. Nothing to be ashamed about this one.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KDB said:

Bell is terrible…we never got Lucas the ball in space or used him in the slot for 1 on 1’s…ran him up the middle instead…even the announcers go “ interesting to run 170 pound back up the middle” 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, KDB said:

We did nothing to get Jaylin Lucas the ball in space, which we heard was an emphasis all off-season, and nothing to get either QB comfortable. We threw the ball 5 times in the first half and ran it 22 times. That’s about as conservative as you can be. Bell isn’t good enough. He’s been mediocre every where he’s been. This team has talent on both sides of the ball and I hope we figure it out offensively because we can win some games if we do, it’s just hard to have faith in Walt Bell. This game isn’t the start of the concerns.

Bell gotta go…he’s pathetic 

• Like 1