Ohio State Game Thread

KDB

Offense - I get that some of you are upset but they did what I thought they’d do.   Focus on the run, put the QB in plus positions where we could develop them.  Don’t overwhelm them and shatter them.  We need more chunk plays and down field action with our receiving corps.  But today wasn’t the day to unveil all that.  You can’t win without doing that, and they know it.  I think we will see more of that as the season unfolds.  What looked like an uninspired game plan to me was actually pretty advanced.  No turnovers, protect the QB.  Put the O line in good positions.   Yeah, no TDs either but you have two QBs who can develop and I honestly think both passed the eye test that they can be good qb’s at this level.  That’s all still out there.  

Defense - lot of promise delivered.  Will OSU score only 23 the rest of the season?  Will Harrison be held in check like that?  Lot of players really showed a lot out there.   Lot more physical ability.  

• Like 5

11 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Offense - I get that some of you are upset but they did what I thought they’d do.   Focus on the run, put the QB in plus positions where we could develop them.  Don’t overwhelm them and shatter them.  We need more chunk plays and down field action with our receiving corps.  But today wasn’t the day to unveil all that.  You can’t win without doing that, and they know it.  I think we will see more of that as the season unfolds.  What looked like an uninspired game plan to me was actually pretty advanced.  No turnovers, protect the QB.  Put the O line in good positions.   Yeah, no TDs either but you have two QBs who can develop and I honestly think both passed the eye test that they can be good qb’s at this level.  That’s all still out there.  

Defense - lot of promise delivered.  Will OSU score only 23 the rest of the season?  Will Harrison be held in check like that?  Lot of players really showed a lot out there.   Lot more physical ability.  

Best post yet. Our offense, which didn’t look great, is being blasted because it didn’t score more against possibly and potentially, one of the top 3 defenses in the nation? I saw no turnovers, the QB’s had better protection and was able to move up and down the field at times. We just couldn’t finish drives. Last year, this game would have been 60-0.   JMO. Go IU!

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

Best post yet. Our offense, which didn’t look great, is being blasted because it didn’t score more against possibly and potentially, one of the top 3 defenses in the nation? I saw no turnovers, the QB’s had better protection and was able to move up and down the field at times. We just couldn’t finish drives. Last year, this game would have been 60-0.   JMO. Go IU!

I don’t think anyone is blasting the offense just for not scoring, we are blasting it because the strategy was pretty horrendous and not really conductive to ever scoring. 

The idea we were going to be able to put up points almost running a Navy lite offense was a pretty poor one and there was never much of an adjustment. We never allowed Tayven or Sorsby to ever even try to get comfortable, and we mostly asked them both to throw out of 2 WR sets. 

I get the OSU defense is good, which is why we really needed some creativity on offense… not whatever we just saw. 

Edited by HoosierFan997
  • Like 5

33 minutes ago, HoosierFan997 said:

I don’t think anyone is blasting the offense just for not scoring, we are blasting it because the strategy was pretty horrendous and not really conductive to ever scoring. 

The idea we were going to be able to put up points almost running a Navy lite offense was a pretty poor one and there was never much of an adjustment. We never allowed Tayven or Sorsby to ever even try to get comfortable, and we mostly asked them both to throw out of 2 WR sets. 

I get the OSU defense is good, which is why we really needed some creativity on offense… not whatever we just saw. 

This. Watching an OSU podcast this morning, the co host was flaming Tom Allen saying the new commissioner of the Big Ten’s first act should be fining Tom Allen for not trying to win. Lol. It really was just a pathetic game plan. I don’t care that it’s Ohio State, play to win the freaking game.. Not cram it up the middle and run triple option for 3 downs and punt every drive just to hopefully keep it close. The Louisville game should be the first real indicator on what our offense is capable of accomplishing this year. Hopefully we can get both QB’s some confidence next week.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Artesian_86 said:

I think everyone understands that we aren’t and shouldnt throw the ball 30 plus times…it’s the scheme and the creativity to get our best skill players the ball like Lucas in space that is lacking…you can have better creativity without taking a ton of risk. Running Lucas up the middle 5-10 times is not where he needs the ball..he needs to the ball on the perimeter where basically no one can tackle him 1 on 1…it really shouldn’t be that hard that’s the frustrating part.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, HoosierFan997 said:

It was all designed to prevent Indiana State from getting a look at our playbook  :coffee:

• Haha 3

Walt Bell did NOT.... 

False start on third and 1, force Tayven to run the wrong way on a beautiful draw play, or tell Coby to not turn up in time on a crosser that should have resulted in a 1st. 

3 massive plays that had zero to do with coaching and everything to do with execution. 

The play calling was fine, when you take all factors into account. 

• Like 4

On 9/3/2023 at 10:20 AM, KDB said:

This. Watching an OSU podcast this morning, the co host was flaming Tom Allen saying the new commissioner of the Big Ten’s first act should be fining Tom Allen for not trying to win. Lol. It really was just a pathetic game plan. I don’t care that it’s Ohio State, play to win the freaking game.. Not cram it up the middle and run triple option for 3 downs and punt every drive just to hopefully keep it close. The Louisville game should be the first real indicator on what our offense is capable of accomplishing this year. Hopefully we can get both QB’s some confidence next week.

I said this all Saturday, the Louisville game will be the best test.  First two games don’t really give us much of an understanding of where the team can be.  Plus it’s the first game with a lot of new players.  But it sure does feel like there was not a sense of urgency to win this first game and I don’t care  who they’re playing that should never be the case.

Is it sad I king of miss the days of ARE and Sudfeld?  IU scoring and putting up decent offense at least gives you the false sense they can win.  There was no sense of winning this weekend.  I hope that is just because it was OSU and not the season to come.

4 hours ago, btownqb said:

Walt Bell did NOT.... 

False start on third and 1, force Tayven to run the wrong way on a beautiful draw play, or tell Coby to not turn up in time on a crosser that should have resulted in a 1st. 

3 massive plays that had zero to do with coaching and everything to do with execution. 

Great points. I tend to believe CTA advised an offensive game plan that limited pressure on our new qb's, took time off the clock, and gave our defense much needed rest.  He wanted a tractor pull, not a drag race. Don't kill the confidence of our young qb's,  emphasize defense, and take some shots on offense without taking unnecessary risks. The execution on some of those shots just wasn't there yet. 

• Like 3

So how long do they go with the two-headed QB before deciding on a definitive starter? I see where you can get by with it the first couple games. But, at the same time, it seems like they've had sufficient time to assess and define the roles. 

I can tolerate the ultraconservative offensive approach with OSU assuming we start seeing more diversity and more integration of playmakers. Is Bell really expecting to LEAN on the triple option business all season?

Liked the D a lot. O-line didn't get completely dominated. There's some reason for hope. Hate to talk must wins this early, but it is IU football. Non-conference matchups have to be Ws.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Great points. I tend to believe CTA advised an offensive game plan that limited pressure on our new qb's, took time off the clock, and gave our defense much needed rest.  He wanted a tractor pull, not a drag race. Don't kill the confidence of our young qb's,  emphasize defense, and take some shots on offense without taking unnecessary risks. The execution on some of those shots just wasn't there yet. 

Right. If we convert those 3 plays.. we get, at least (barring TO), 9 more offensive plays.... 

The other thing that handcuffed Walt Bell was field position. We started multiple drives inside our own 20, and even own 10 yard line...  

Hard to take many risks on those spots on the field. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, btownqb said:

Walt Bell did NOT.... 

While that’s fair, handpicking a few plays doesn’t really excuse the complete lack of anything resembling an aggressive game plan for the offense. 

The defense played great and the offense overall looked more concerned with avoiding mistakes than keeping up with Ohio State. For as many plays you can point to that could have been more, there were a lot of examples of three straight hand offs and punt. I think you can tell by Allen and some player responses after the game (Camper for instance) that we were a bit too conservative for just about everyone involved. 

The personnel need to be better on offense, but so does Bell. I don’t think there’s any argument against that. 

• Like 2

I actually didn't mind the offensive game plan and think the shotgun option thing we have going can be successful against teams that do not have the same kind of athletes on defense. 

But a big reason our defense was able to be successful is because the offense took their time and while they may not have picked up many yards, they milked the clock and let the D catch their breath. 

In the first game of the season I think it was important not to get completely blown out and demoralized before approaching much more winnable games. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hoosier987 said:

Defense was much better that expected. Kudos to Andre Carter.

Offense was completely unserious. Reminded me of the Matt LoVecchio days from 20 years ago. 

The last drive of the first half was mind numbing. Trailing 7-3 at home against heavily favored opponent. 1st down at OSU 45 with 2:10 to go. Do we take a shot? No, three conservative running plays leaves 4th and 4 with under a minute. OK, coaches decided to go into half trailing by 4? No, now we get aggressive and throw on 4th down. Incomplete stops the clock. Defensive penalty leads to field goal and OSU came close to a TD. Just awful 

• Like 4