Ohio State Game Thread

KDB

On 9/4/2023 at 7:15 AM, btownqb said:

Walt Bell did NOT.... 

False start on third and 1, force Tayven to run the wrong way on a beautiful draw play, or tell Coby to not turn up in time on a crosser that should have resulted in a 1st. 

3 massive plays that had zero to do with coaching and everything to do with execution. 

The play calling was fine, when you take all factors into account. 

Your points are correct but how about putting Lucas in motion and getting him the ball on the perimeter? Running a screen? Throwing the ball to him out the back field on a wheel route or on the perimeter where a linebacker has to cover him or put him in the slot and try covering him in a quick slant or side out??? I didn’t see any of that…and none of that is taking a big risk it’s getting your most dynamic playmaker the ball where he can make plays not just a handoff up the middle…that’s elementary level

5 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

Your points are correct but how about putting Lucas in motion and getting him the ball on the perimeter? Running a screen? Throwing the ball to him out the back field on a wheel route or on the perimeter where a linebacker has to cover him or put him in the slot and try covering him in a quick slant or side out??? I didn’t see any of that…and none of that is taking a big risk it’s getting your most dynamic playmaker the ball where he can make plays not just a handoff up the middle…that’s elementary level

Well... love wheel routes out of the backfield, big fan... but you do have to have some longer protection, for that route, and you do have to scheme it and the defense has to respect your first action to create the mismatch/openness of the wheel route to begin with, I am not sure that was ever there with OSU on Saturday. I will guarantee we have plenty of ways to use Lucas more and more in the offense. I just didn't think it was all going to be Week 1, especially once he got dinged up. 

It wasn't just "handoff up the middle", though. It's part of the entire concept, they have to account for it, and when we are running true triple, they have way fewer bodies committed to Lucas (or the dive) than regular teams, running regular offense do. 

Lucas wasn't getting outside of OSU on Saturday, I thought their defense made that pretty clear.. next best option, see if you can pop one with scheme, etc. And personally, I think handing the ball to Lucas, at any point during the game, going ANY direction is crazy scary for the defense. 

If we have this same look, the same VERY vanilla-ish feel to our offense against UL... then, to me, that would be the time to be pretty pissed, the way it stands now.... and the context of the game---- field position, Lucas a little dinged up, 2 insanely inexperienced QBs, and playing OSU Week 1... doesn't seem like the time to be all that upset. That is just my opinion though. 

I thought we looked better and more of a sustainable base to our offense than we have had. Now, my expectations were crazy low coming into the year.... but, I think if we can stay healthy (massive if)... I do think this crew can win 6 games. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Well... love wheel routes out of the backfield, big fan... but you do have to have some longer protection, for that route, and you do have to scheme it and the defense has to respect your first action to create the mismatch/openness of the wheel route to begin with, I am not sure that was ever there with OSU on Saturday. I will guarantee we have plenty of ways to use Lucas more and more in the offense. I just didn't think it was all going to be Week 1, especially once he got dinged up. 

It wasn't just "handoff up the middle", though. It's part of the entire concept, they have to account for it, and when we are running true triple, they have way fewer bodies committed to Lucas (or the dive) than regular teams, running regular offense do. 

Lucas wasn't getting outside of OSU on Saturday, I thought their defense made that pretty clear.. next best option, see if you can pop one with scheme, etc. And personally, I think handing the ball to Lucas, at any point during the game, going ANY direction is crazy scary for the defense. 

If we have this same look, the same VERY vanilla-ish feel to our offense against UL... then, to me, that would be the time to be pretty pissed, the way it stands now.... and the context of the game---- field position, Lucas a little dinged up, 2 insanely inexperienced QBs, and playing OSU Week 1... doesn't seem like the time to be all that upset. That is just my opinion though. 

I thought we looked better and more of a sustainable base to our offense than we have had. Now, my expectations were crazy low coming into the year.... but, I think if we can stay healthy (massive if)... I do think this crew can win 6 games. 

I agree mostly I was disappointed we didn’t get him the ball a single time on the Perimeter outside of the option and there’s ways to that without a ton of risk as I’ve mentioned…will see if that was just because it was week 1 and Ohio state or if Bell is that bad. 

5 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

I agree mostly I was disappointed we didn’t get him the ball a single time on the Perimeter outside of the option and there’s ways to that without a ton of risk as I’ve mentioned…will see if that was just because it was week 1 and Ohio state or if Bell is that bad. 

I do want to see some more screens. Especially to McCulley and Perry.

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

I do want to see some more screens. Especially to McCulley and Perry.

Ya and I think getting Lucas Matched up with a linebacker coming out the backfield and getting him the ball is ideal…Colorado’s Edwards had a couple touchdowns doing that exact thing and a few other top teams did a great job getting their RB’s matched up with LB in man coverage/ dumping it down to em and letting them go and don’t think they are as dynamic as Lucas….he’s gotta have the ball on perimeter going forward or in concepts like that in main coverage as a pass catcher out the backfield…no one can tackle him in open field