UIndy Post Game Thread

KDB

1 hour ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

I went to the game today and noticed a little competition between Cupps and X.

It was almost like X would shut his guy down, turn to Cupps and say "See, like that that"

Then Cupps would say, here, Hold my water bottle I'll be right back....

Than X would say..................  

Back court is in EFFING session !!! We good guys !

Just from that little exchange, you can tell we've come a long way from the RMK years...they'd be yelling "Hold my beer n watch this!" 🤣

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, 3Ballin said:

Just from that little exchange, you can tell we've come a long way from the RMK years...they'd be yelling "Hold my beer n watch this!" 🤣

FO SHO ! ! But as a 26 YO man, X has to be looking at Gabe and saying (to himself) DAYYYYUm, you really want this don'tcha !

We gonna be Ok at point for a while !

Definitely not a super encouraging performance. This team has a long way to go, but the good news is that this is exhibition game 1, they have time to improve. 

If we played Kansas this week, I think we'd get smashed. 

With that said, there were some good things too. I thought our best six or so guys we're (in no particular order) XJ, Galloway, Mgbako, Reneau, Cupps and Walker. 

I'm really surprised some were impressed with Gunn. I thought he was just a more confident version of last season. He's high volume and low efficiency, while also getting lost defensively A LOT. 

Ware finished with good numbers but I generally wasn't super impressed. He got pushed around a lot and he's not nearly as athletic as I thought. He's incredibly long, but lacks quick twitch athleticism which I thought makes him play smaller than he is. 

I thought Cupps was fantastic, this kid is going to play, and may end up in our finishing lineup if he can hit shots too. I also thought Walker was really good. 

I'm with @5fouls in that i'm just really concerned that we once again barely took any 3's. 

This has been talked about the last few years a tad, but not as much as it probably should have because TJD convered up so much, but our bigs are really, really bad at recognizing open shooters from the block. 

I know Reneau is really strong on the block, has great touch, etc., but it's a different game in 2023 and there were numerous times he had kickouts to wide open shooters but passed them up. Reneau wasn't the only one. But we need a mentality to be a higher volume 3pt shooting team. 

Finally, I thought there were some really good things defensively, especially XJ and Cupps, but definitely concerned about Reneau, Gunn, Mgbako and Ware (when he's not blocking shots) on that end. 

Last thing, our bigs won't like it, but I really think this team needs to go smaller as opposed to the two true bigs lineup. Not saying he has to be the guy, but I felt like our best runs came with more athleticism at the 4 with Walker. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Definitely not a super encouraging performance. This team has a long way to go, but the good news is that this is exhibition game 1, they have time to improve. 

With that said, there were some good things too. I thought our best six or so guys we're (in no particular order) XJ, Galloway, Mgbako, Reneau, Cupps and Walker. 

I'm really surprised some were impressed with Gunn. I thought he was just a more confident version of last season. He's high volume and low efficiency, while also getting lost defensively A LOT. 

Ware finished with good numbers but I generally wasn't super impressed. He got pushed around a lot and he's not nearly as athletic as I thought. He's incredibly long, but lacks quick twitch athleticism which I thought makes him play smaller than he is. 

I thought Cupps was fantastic, this kid is going to play, and may end up in our finishing lineup if he can hit shots too. I also thought Walker was really good. 

I'm with @5fouls in that i'm just really concerned that we once again barely took any 3's. 

This has been talked about the last few years a tad, but not as much as it probably should have because TJD convered up so much, but our bigs are really, really bad at recognizing open shooters from the block. 

I know Reneau is really strong on the block, has great touch, etc., but it's a different game in 2023 and there were numerous times he had kickouts to wide open shooters but passed them up. Reneau wasn't the only one. But we need a mentality to be a higher volume 3pt shooting team. 

Finally, I thought there were some really good things defensively, especially XJ and Cupps, but definitely concerned about Reneau, Gunn, Mgbako and Ware (when he's not blocking shots) on that end. 

Last thing, our bigs won't like it, but I really think this team needs to go smaller as opposed to the two true bigs lineup. Not saying he has to be the guy, but I felt like our best runs came with more athleticism at the 4 with Walker. 

More 3’s and go smaller! Love it 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Didn’t get to watch but two things stuck out to me on the box score. 11-20 on FTs, mainly Mgbako and Gunn.. HAS to be better. And 3-10 on 3s. Really hoping the volume increases, needs to.

I agree on the 3 pt volume. Mgbako passed up two open threes to drive to the basket and Cupps passed up one to do the same. There may have been more, but those three instances had me in mid season form of yelling at the TV. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

I agree with the vast majority of this, but I'm curious about your take on Galloway...

I thought he was a bit off on both ends... He tried to create his own shot a couple of times (and I don't think that's his game) and got stuffed...

10 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I agree with the vast majority of this, but I'm curious about your take on Galloway...

I thought he was a bit off on both ends... He tried to create his own shot a couple of times (and I don't think that's his game) and got stuffed...

Galloway disappointed. I think Galloway is what he is. Plays tough D, low volume shooter…etc. I’m not sure we’re going to see a major jump in his play. He’ll make some good plays. I’ve always viewed Galloway as a 6th or 7th man on a really good team…

As others have mentioned, the shooting and lack of 3 point attempts is concerning. I watched the game from start to finish. We need to improve a lot…good teams would whip us based on the play today. Luckily we have an another exhibition to hopefully fine tune ourselves more…

Edited by Hoosier987

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Good question. By no means saying he played great or even good today, but Galloway has equity built up and we know what he'll give us. While we need him to score for us, he still impacts the game with his floor game. 

One example is the play and pass he made to get Mgbako that great baseline/corner 3 late. Not a lot of guys on this team could or would make that play. 

11 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Here's the Galloway play I was referencing. While just one play, a great example of just a super smart play that most guys on this team can't make and that makes Galloway valuable even when he's not scoring. 

Also, love that Walker can grab a board and then push it. We need more of that. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Here's the Galloway play I was referencing. While just one play, a great example of just a super smart play that most guys on this team can't make and that makes Galloway valuable even when he's not scoring. 

I just thought Trey played a little bit out of character...I'll take the Trey Galloway we saw for most of last year...I hear what you're saying though...He has built up a lot of cred...Maybe my expectations were higher than they should be after hearing the glowing reports in the off season...

I watched the game again this morning, and one thing I really like is the edge Mgbako plays with...I heard him compared to Caleb Houstan (Michigan), but Houstan never had the chip on his shoulder I saw out of Mac yesterday...

As far as Ware goes, the expectations are enormous...and I agree he got pushed around some in the 1st half (UIndy was a very physical defensive team) but he wound up with a pretty good stat line...

I think we'll look better Friday...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Galloway actually played really well on fast breaks. This was a great example, but there were a couple other really nice plays from him.

Definitely want to see more, especially in the half court, but he still looked like Transition Trey too when we were able to push the ball. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I just thought Trey played a little bit out of character...I'll take the Trey Galloway we saw for most of last year...I hear what you're saying though...He has built up a lot of cred...Maybe my expectations were higher than they should be after hearing the glowing reports in the off season...

I watched the game again this morning, and one thing I really like is the edge Mgbako plays with...I heard him compared to Caleb Houstan (Michigan), but Houstan never had the chip on his shoulder I saw out of Mac yesterday...

As far as Ware goes, the expectations are enormous...and I agree he got pushed around some in the 1st half (UIndy was a very physical defensive team) but he wound up with a pretty good stat line...

Agree with all of this. I think it's easy to be a bit "down" about the performance but when your really step back, the starters played bad in the first half but the second unit was a strong point and the starters had a really good second half.

And re: the second unit - as good as they looked, how much better do they look if Banks is in for Leal? I think just about everyone came away impressed with GC, CJG, Walker and Sparks, but I think Banks can do a lot of that too. I know we tend to do this about this time every year regarding our depth and often times end up disappointed, but we have guys a little more proven in some of those spots this time and GC just seems to have "it". 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Agree with all of this. I think it's easy to be a bit "down" about the performance but when your really step back, the starters played bad in the first half but the second unit was a strong point and the starters had a really good second half.

And re: the second unit - as good as they looked, how much better do they look if Banks is in for Leal? I think just about everyone came away impressed with GC, CJG, Walker and Sparks, but I think Banks can do a lot of that too. I know we tend to do this about this time every year regarding our depth and often times end up disappointed, but we have guys a little more proven in some of those spots this time and GC just seems to have "it". 

I'm looking forward to Banks playing.  He may be a 6th starter.  I see him as a guy that us going to stick like glue on a guy, grab rebounds like Dennis Rodman, hit open 3s.  But I was also pleased with what Leal brought.  Man I wish he could stroke from 3.  

The depth is truly going to prove to be an asset.  I wonder how much pressing or trapping we throw into the mix this year.  With the length and depth and wanting to be more a transition team, speed things up a bit.  

• Like 2

Gonna chalk this one up to "shaking off the cob-webs". If we don't make a major improvement on Friday, it'll be hard for us to win any of the pre-conf, big name games, like UConn, Kansas, Auburn.

Hated the stand around offense in the half court. No screens, or movement. (or very little movement)

Edited by DWB
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I agree on the 3 pt volume. Mgbako passed up two open threes to drive to the basket and Cupps passed up one to do the same. There may have been more, but those three instances had me in mid season form of yelling at the TV. 

Sounds like we’re going to be frustrated all year on that front according to Woody. Said there isn’t an emphasis on getting 3s but the kids need to shoot if they are open. I’d prefer and hope we have plays drawn up occasionally to get certain guys three point shots. Being out-volumed from three has been a huge problem of ours in recent years. We dominate the paint but still lose because we don’t make enough threes. Have to make threes in today’s game. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Sounds like we’re going to be frustrated all year on that front according to Woody. Said there isn’t an emphasis on getting 3s but the kids need to shoot if they are open. I’d prefer and hope we have plays drawn up occasionally to get certain guys three point shots. Being out-volumed from three has been a huge problem of ours in recent years. We dominate the paint but still lose because we don’t make enough threes. Have to make threes in today’s game. 

It's also important when recruiting shooters that the team tries to create 3-point opportunities. That's the type of offense a lot of players like to play in.

Edited by go_iu_bb
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Because the competition will be weaker? :coffee:

Edited by Reacher
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

I'm looking forward to Banks playing.  He may be a 6th starter.  I see him as a guy that us going to stick like glue on a guy, grab rebounds like Dennis Rodman, hit open 3s.  But I was also pleased with what Leal brought.  Man I wish he could stroke from 3.  

The depth is truly going to prove to be an asset.  I wonder how much pressing or trapping we throw into the mix this year.  With the length and depth and wanting to be more a transition team, speed things up a bit.  

Too often we (im as guilty as anyone) talk about the depth we have going into a season just to play 7, maybe 8 after Janurary. I think the potential for depth would be a better phrase to use.

"If the guys play up to their ceilings this year, our depth could be a real asset."  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DWB said:

Gonna chalk this one up to "shaking off the cob-webs". If we don't make a major improvement on Friday, it'll be hard for us to win any of the pre-conf, big name games, like UConn, Kansas, Auburn.

Hated the stand around offense in the half court. No screens, or movement. (or very little movement)

Meh.  What I saw of Kansas, they didn't look very good either.  It's early.