UIndy Post Game Thread

KDB

There were some defensive lapses that led to some open looks, but overall I thought the defense was solid. This team could be elite defensively if everything clicks.

The offense was horrible in the first half, but much better in the second half. Felt like we got out in transition more which helped. I feel like we’re just going to have some games this year where we struggle to score.

I didn’t have high expectations for Walker based on his role at Miami, but he looked really good. Was really impressed with a lot of the bench guys.

• Like 1

Obviously a better 2nd half after an abysmal 1st half but expected more. We need to be tougher and my concern with this year's team is we're 1 or 2 shooter's short if some of our 2nd year players don't make bigger strides. Free throw shooting and 3 point scoring could be a consistent theme this year regarding needing improvement (much like prior years). On a positive note, Mgbako looked real aggressive in the 2nd half and Cupps played very sound defense.

Edited by Hoosier987

Obviously much better 2nd half.  Seemed the pressure cranked up with the 2nd unit.  This team will have to be scrappy and connected on d.  Outside of X, there isn't one guy that is super laterally quick.  But there is length for days.  Maybe I would call Walker laterally quick for his size and position.  Mbako might be a bit over advertised.  He is long but not as much bounce as I hoped.  Cupps played really hard and mostly smart.  Did get blown by for a lay up on his first possession but he then played full court disruptor causing 2 back to back turnovers.  3 fouls in 18 mins.  

We gotta shoot more than 10 threes.  We will likely regret not adding a true scoring guard.  Galloway is my perfect non scoring college 2/3 glue guy but points win games.  He will have big nights and he will have lows.  X didn't force, only had one dumb foul.  

I can't say I'm super optimistic about the season after watching that.  Probably like a 5th -9th in conference, floor to ceiling.  Reneau didn't look vastly improved.  I like the depth and chemistry will come.  Hopefully they keep pushing the effort and defense as the calling card.  

this performance definitely can't help our confidence as a fan base, but man we have a lot of talent.  Galloway has got to be better and you have to think he will be.  Gunn was encouraging, so that kinda cancels out.  Mbako and Ware are exciting to think about.  they didn't look great early, but so much potential!  Sparks and Walker off the bench are huge.  Cupps is gonna be a HOOSIER.  XJ and Reneau need to give us what we expect.  already excited for the next exhibition.  

1 hour ago, DWB said:

Woody just gave a special shout out to Cupps and the 2nd unit. Said it was the difference in the game

I don’t know if it came through on the TV feed but the crowd gave mad love to the 2nd unit in the last half.  Cup and Walker were spark plugs and seemed ready to give their all.  Sparks was great in the first half.  I see a lot of changes coming to the first team of that effort imbalance stays.  Just one exhibition game but it was clear who came with the energy.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

I don’t know if it came through on the TV feed but the crowd gave mad love to the 2nd unit in the last half.  Cup and Walker were spark plugs and seemed ready to give their all.  Sparks was great in the first half.  I see a lot of changes coming to the first team of that effort imbalance stays.  Just one exhibition game but it was clear who came with the energy.

i get you, but i think about the only debate would be Gunn over Galloway and i doubt that.  

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

We gotta shoot more than 10 threes.  We will likely regret not adding a true scoring guard.  Galloway is my perfect non scoring college 2/3 glue guy but points win games.  He will have big nights and he will have lows. 

it's amazing. There are shooters all over college bball, including mid-majors, and we haven't been able to land any in years. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i get you, but i think about the only debate would be Gunn over Galloway and i doubt that.  

Just because the starters won’t change doesn’t mean you won’t see a different lineup at the end of games.  No ways Cupps stays off the floor with that effort.  I could see coach doing what he did today and have both him and XJ on the floor.  Both played great D.

• Like 1

I went to the game today and noticed a little competition between Cupps and X.

It was almost like X would shut his guy down, turn to Cupps and say "See, like that that"

Then Cupps would say, here, Hold my water bottle I'll be right back....

Than X would say..................  

Back court is in EFFING session !!! We good guys !

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i'm easily confused, but this has me very confused.  i don't get the 1.1 and the 2.5?  and i mentioned Gunn not Cupps.  

I have no idea how you could be so confused about what I typed. It seems pretty clear that I totally whiffed on almost ever aspect if it. That's pretty clear !!! HAHAHAHa

You said Gunn, my mind translated that to NOT GUNN he means Cupps (but I don't know why honestly).

1.1 means the starting PG is the 1... We expected a BIG drop off with the freshman Cupps (which you said Gunn and my reply still makes no sense). But with all of that nonsense, Cupps is 2.5 years further advance (because I have trouble saying 2 years further along, but can't say 3 yr further along, soooooo ..... 2 1/2 is where my mind landed).

non of it has anything to do wit Gunn so I hope that clears it up.. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

I have no idea how you could be so confused about what I typed. It seems pretty clear that I totally whiffed on almost ever aspect if it. That's pretty clear !!! HAHAHAHa

You said Gunn, my mind translated that to NOT GUNN he means Cupps (but I don't know why honestly).

1.1 means the starting PG is the 1... We expected a BIG drop off with the freshman Cupps (which you said Gunn and my reply still makes no sense). But with all of that nonsense, Cupps is 2.5 years further advance (because I have trouble saying 2 years further along, but can't say 3 yr further along, soooooo ..... 2 1/2 is where my mind landed).

non of it has anything to do wit Gunn so I hope that clears it up.. :)

my mind is so jumbled.  i do like Cupps and Gunn though.  i just don't think either will start this season.  

5 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

my mind is so jumbled.  i do like Cupps and Gunn though.  i just don't think either will start this season.  

Oh I agree, but Cupps isn't going to be much of a down grade from X is what I am saying.  (AGAIN, nothing to do with your original post that I replied to. I totally hozed that up, TOTALLY) ! 

I don't Think Gun cost us anything today, but his shot still didn't fall. It's so close though. Love the kid and like you I fully expect it to all come together.

Now to my last post, answering your question as to why my post made no sence and then @DWB gave me a confused face.. It was supposed to be a long drawnout funny way to say.... I totally screwed the whole response. Doesn't that make more sense @DWB ? I had an out of body experience and muffed it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not that anyone should care, but here are my thoughts.

I certainly wasn't watching him the whole game, but Reneau's D seemed lacking. He got burned on the perimeter, was out of position on the post and had 2 specific possessions I remember where he got those stupid De'Ron David type fouls where he just had his arms in a dumb place for no reason and got a ticky-tack whistle. He was his old, patient self on offense, though - hopefully that carries over against better competition.

Ware looked like the guy in the MSU/UConn highlights from last year. When he gets the ball in the right spot, there's not much that can be done to stop him. 

I didn't think MM looked like an athletic slasher/finisher, but he looked smooth with his jumper. 

For a brief second, I thought Sparks looked like Zion as he went out on the break. Then he basically tripped over himself and got hurt. I'm not sure I will have that thought again. But, man, that spin move in the first half was fast. Not much you can do when a truck spins on you like that.

I was hoping against hope that the off-season rumors were legit and Galloway could be a guy that could create offense with the ball in his hand. That did not seem to be the case. I didn't see much from anyone that makes me think we have guys that can just beat their man off the dribble. I'm still hopeful MM can do that.