Marian Post Game Thread

BGleas

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Was it me, or were his hands a little bad tonight? Not Jordan Geronimo or Justin Smith bad, but he didn't seem to catch much cleanly... 

First game for him this year. I think we forget that it takes kids a while to find their place. Those guys who were a part of the great teams in the early 90's took their lumps early in their careers. We just don't have much patience with kids anymore. If they aren't great early, we just seem to write them off. Give Banks and Gunn a bit to settle in. They might just surprise us.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cthomas said:

First game for him this year. I think we forget that it takes kids a while to find their place. Those guys who were a part of the great teams in the early 90's took their lumps early in their careers. We just don't have much patience with kids anymore. If they aren't great early, we just seem to write them off. Give Banks and Gunn a bit to settle in. They might just surprise us.

I don't think anyone is lacking patience or writing them off whatsoever. We're just discussing what we're seeing right now. 

Of course it's incredibly early in the season and this team is just beginning to feel their way out. 

I think Gunn can be an incredible player as an upperclassmen, all of the tools are there, but he also has a long way to go right now. 

8 minutes ago, cthomas said:

Daryl Thomas of the 1987 national champions is a perfect example of this. He was a McDonald’s All American, but didn’t come into his own until his Jr-Sr seasons. So yes, we need to be patient, but hard to do in today’s world.

Edited by Hoosier4Life53

rando thoughts

Walker is such a huge upgrade over Geronimo. 

To me, in the first half the defense looked a lot more together.  The other night it was like everyone was just playing one on one and not as a unit defensively.  I liked seeing some pressing.  Our guards were in their grill basically full court.

X was very patient on offense.  He can still get into the paint at will when necessary.  Having Mbako to kick to, Ware to lob.  We gonna like that action.  How he hasn't developed a quicker and prettier jump shot in 6 years is just beyond comprehension. 

I really hope Banks isn't Geronimoish. 

This team is probably lacking a killer scoring guard from being a top ten team.  If they come together as a team, committed to playing defense, they could be top 25 and be a hunter.  

We sure shared the heck out of the ball and guys still passed up some threes.  I'll take this as a confidence boost though.  

Pretty hard to judge much from that though.  That team was so small and just levels below.  

• Like 3

Man. You guys put the barbershop scene in Hoosiers to shame. I get it. This is where to discuss the game. But to dissect someone’s hands? To criticize lack of 3 shooting by the guards? Over analyze much?

These exhibition games are to try stuff out. To find out what works and what needs work. They mean nothing other than guys playing against someone besides themselves. 

It just feels like this forum has become the townspeople of Hickory. Over analyzing and nitpicking about minutiae. 

Let these guys develop and grow without being under the microscope. Geez, let them play a few games that matter before becoming armchair experts 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

This team is going to fun to watch

most of the big guys have range. Teams are going to have guard them outside. That will make a bug difference over last years team. Drive lanes should open up. plenty of guys can score in the post

Gunn and Banks just need to keep improving. we don’t need them to play 25 minutes or score a lot. just need quality minutes  Cupps just needs to play hard  kid is a baller.

I always like Geronimo but walker is a major upgrade

• Like 5

3 hours ago, BGleas said:

I wasn't really in the game thread until towards the end, so dont know what was said there, but at least for me on Gunn the stat sheet doesn't tell the entire story. 

It rarely does, but I didn't expect the stat line I saw on these two based on the in-game commentary.  I'm with Steub...it felt like some of our members were looking for small stuff to complain about.  Considering this is the second exhibition game with two comfortable wins, I'd hate for our fanbase to have to watch a team effort like Louisville, St. Johns, or even Purdue.

5 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

It rarely does, but I didn't expect the stat line I saw on these two based on the in-game commentary.  I'm with Steub...it felt like some of our members were looking for small stuff to complain about.  Considering this is the second exhibition game with two comfortable wins, I'd hate for our fanbase to have to watch a team effort like Louisville, St. Johns, or even Purdue.

Oh Lord, can you imagine us being Louisville fans right now?! 

I love the talent of this team.  I was saying before that it seems like most college teams are going to have to deal with roster turnover every year, so it's hard to use coming together/developing chemistry as an excuse, but it just feels like this is a team that will get so much better in another month or so.  Have to love the assists to TOs and the FT % of this game.  That is a great start to a successful formula.  I like the fast pace too and that makes the lack of turnovers even more impressive.  I like the starting 5.  I like them playing a lot of minutes.  At the same time, I like Walker and Sparks a lot.  I don't mind Gunn's style of play with the second unit.  His role with that unit is as a scorer.  I get that.  Banks was encouraging.  Gotta love Cupps.  Can't wait to see him start getting shots too.  I'm excited to see this team progress.  

• Like 5

8 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Of course we were nit-picking! :) 

We did play pretty well...I do love how, as @NotIThatLives mentioned, XJ is running the team, and I think our shooting is better...Ware can be huge for us...That little mid-range game he has can pay a lot of dividends down the road...

The (slight) criticisms of Banks and Gunn were mainly on the defensive end, and I did say I thought Banks was a bit rusty from not practicing over his groin strain...

But I think both fit into our transition game really well...as does Walker...I've been very impressed by him...This can be a really fun season...

• Like 1

Just re-watched the game this morning and came away with the following:

• Really big upside for this team IF...they keep getting better. Lots of great pieces of the puzzle here.
  • Ware has some very good offensive skills, but defense, esp blocking out isn't his strong point. Really needs to focus on the D
  • Gunn is athletic as hell, but hunts for his shots too much, instead of letting the game come to him. Hope it's just his confidence, vs being selfish. We'll see.
  • Once Banks shakes off all the rust, he'll be a great player that the opposition loves to hate.
  • Cupps has already taken over the leadership of the 2nd unit. Plays like a veteran.
  • Gallo played "hard hat" D all night long. Got the crap beat out of him on high ball screens because Ware, or others didn't call them out for him.
  • Malik will be huge this season, based on his improvement that's obvious already. Granted the competition isn't top notch, but he's much better.
  • Mgbako is a great shooter, but not consistent effort on D. Has flashes of good hustle, but not nearly as often as needed.
  • We are legitimately DEEP !!

Can't wait for Tues to see how we play against a formidable team and coach.

• Like 6

The good - just a couple turnovers and multiple guys knocked down threes. 

The bad - they gave up double digit threes to Marian and it was almost even on the boards.

Reality - similar to the first exhibition, team footspeed is slow outside a few guys. Too many examples where they were beat off the dribble leading to a lot of open threes. Good teams hit threes. This will be an issue if it continues.

Rebounding is not good right now. Lots of spectators when shots went up. Not a lot of guys working to get position to rebound. This team will have to rebound as a group or it's going to be ugly.

The coaches have a lot of work to do with this team.

14 hours ago, BGleas said:

I don't think anyone is lacking patience or writing them off whatsoever. We're just discussing what we're seeing right now. 

Of course it's incredibly early in the season and this team is just beginning to feel their way out. 

I think Gunn can be an incredible player as an upperclassmen, all of the tools are there, but he also has a long way to go right now. 

Long ways to go...I think Banks has further to go. Lets not sugar coat this (not you specifically) but the progression of Banks and Gunn are imperative for this team. I for one, am counting on at least 1 to make a significant sophmore leap...however, forgive me if I'm a little unsure of both. We've seen marginal sophmore jumps from several players in the past whom are now at different programs. Right now, I trust freshman Cupps more than these two to make the right play. Lets see what happens but I will be rooting tremendously for both to have an outstanding year.

Edited by Hoosier987
  • Like 2