What The Numbers Say

5fouls

5 minutes ago, Kdug said:

The eye test has also been proven to be just about the worst way to rank teams in just about every sport. That’s a great way to have a committee that justifies screwing good mid-majors over for mediocre P5 teams.

Yes, most folks agree on that.

In our case, the metrics are anywhere from mediocre to bad, and the eye test seems to back that up.

This team has work to do in the last couple months to avoid a bad season. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Scott.  I hate to tell you, but if IU has to rely on the 'eye test' this season, that might even be worse than our computer rankings.  

I am not talking about IU just college basketball in general. Take ISU and if the finish the season 25-6 and win the regular season but lose in the tournament championship. That would have them at 27-7 going I to selection Sunday. What I have seen they would deserve an at large bid but the numbers probably wouldn't agree. They are a lot better than some muddling power 6 conference teams.

6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

It's kind of semantics. I said "mediocre to bad", you said "our efficiency metrics are bad but our resume metrics are ok."

We're kind of saying the same thing. We're not in a horrible spot right now and the real important part of the season is ahead of us, but we're not in a very good spot either. 

IU has a lot of work to do. 

Fair enough, and agreed.

We’re in a weird spot we’re we’ve played a lot of really bad basketball, and are very lucky to not have lost some of those games vs bad teams. But we didn’t, so our “resume” is still in an ok spot despite having similar metrics to the 16-16 Nebraska team last year.

3 hours ago, Kdug said:

Fair enough, and agreed.

We’re in a weird spot we’re we’ve played a lot of really bad basketball, and are very lucky to not have lost some of those games vs bad teams. But we didn’t, so our “resume” is still in an ok spot despite having similar metrics to the 16-16 Nebraska team last year.

To be fair, KenPom projects us to finish 16-15.

Last seasons Nebraska team may be a good comparison if we don’t start playing better. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I have followed this entire thread and I respect you metrics guys. But I just can’t get this quote out of my head…

”statistics are for losers.”

I'm not even really a "metrics guy", but the reality of the situation is that these metrics are used on Selection Sunday. 

We can ignore them, but again the reality is that they matter. They're not the entire story but they're a big part of it, especially when it comes to being on the bubble. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I'm not even really a "metrics guy", but the reality of the situation is that these metrics are used on Selection Sunday. 

We can ignore them, but again the reality is that they matter. They're not the entire story but they're a big part of it, especially when it comes to being on the bubble. 

I get that. But if they keep winning, regardless of the metrics, how do they not make the tournament?

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

The thing I don't care for is that if we won the same games but by 20+ every game we would have better numbers with the same record 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I get that. But if they keep winning, regardless of the metrics, how do they not make the tournament?

If they start beating tournament teams and pile up wins then things probably will end up with us getting in.

Right now we are 0-3 against tournament teams. The eye test, and yes, the analytics, seem to back up a team that isn’t that good.

I think what is getting lose in the conversation of they just have to keep winning, is that they have to start winning. They haven’t showed they can get the type of win that is going to matter 2.5 months from now. 

• Like 1

Just now, Steubenhoosier said:

Depends on what you mean by "keep winning". At least as of right now, anything less than 13 Big Ten wins and we're probably sweating on Selection Sunday. 

Of course you still have to play the games and anybody can win on any given day, but I wouldn't say we've looked or played like a 13-14 win Big Ten team. 

And even if we're in, the metrics can cost you or gain you a seed line or two. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

The thing I don't care for is that if we won the same games but by 20+ every game we would have better numbers with the same record 

Correct.

It would be indicative of us being a better team and we’d been projected to win more games. Of course we could still win those games anyway, but right now why would we expect to win games like Purdue, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Illinois, and even Ohio State or Nebraska?

Feel free to explain that with past results, metrics, or the eye test. We all know we can play better but right now that’s the rub… we have to play better to accumulate some meaningful wins. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I mean yeah, that's pretty obvious. A team winning by 20 every game is probably better than a team winning by 2 points every game, especially when the team winning by 20 has some wins against some good teams. 

How you're playing and against who matters. It should matter.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

If they start beating tournament teams and pile up wins then things probably will end up with us getting in.

Right now we are 0-3 against tournament teams. The eye test, and yes, the analytics, seem to back up a team that isn’t that good.

I think what is getting lose in the conversation of they just have to keep winning, is that they have to start winning. They haven’t showed they can get the type of win that is going to matter 2.5 months from now. 

I don’t know if we are 0-3 v tournament teams. I would argue that Kennesaw will win their conference. Probably Morehead too.

We are 2-0 in conference which is a great start and provides a bit of a cushion. 

Yes, they need to keep winning 

3 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Correct.

It would be indicative of us being a better team and we’d been projected to win more games. Of course we could still win those games anyway, but right now why would we expect to win games like Purdue, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Illinois, and even Ohio State or Nebraska?

Feel free to explain that with past results, metrics, or the eye test. We all know we can play better but right now that’s the rub… we have to play better to accumulate some meaningful wins. 

Well we took the #2 team to the wire after leading the whole game. I see our offense getting better and actually looking and making 3's. Well I have seen all the other big ten teams and see a lot of heatable teams. The games are played on the court and not on stats

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I don’t know if we are 0-3 v tournament teams. I would argue that Kennesaw will win their conference. Probably Morehead too.

We are 2-0 in conference which is a great start and provides a bit of a cushion. 

Yes, they need to keep winning 

They could win their conference and get in, but that’s the only way those two teams get in.

We are 0-3 against teams that don’t need to win their conference tournament to get in, and haven’t been particularly competitive in those games. 

• Like 1

Just now, IU Scott said:

Well we took the #2 team to the wire after leading the whole game. I see our offense getting better and actually looking and making 3's. Well I have seen all the other big ten teams and see a lot of heatable teams. The games are played on the court and not on stats

Our poor metrics are the result of how we've played on the court. 

• Like 2