What The Numbers Say

5fouls

10 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

That's fine...As I said, if we win enough, we don't have to worry about it...

I guess those are the 2 major points of contention on this board...How much metrics mean, and whether our our offense has "changed" or it's just residue of players understanding more, and being more comfortable in their roles...

For the second question, I think it's the latter...and I think it'll continue...Always seems to with younger players...

The first part is literally just getting exhausting to even discuss anymore. Some of us like to dig deeper into the metrics that matter, how many wins it will take, etc.

For the 2nd question, I think it's crystal clear that offensive improvements are more than just guys getting comfortable. 

I've shared film from Coach Adranga on new sets and schemes that IU has implemented over the last couple of weeks. 

We've used a horns set more, we've used chin action much more, etc. We've used Galloway is much different actions that we weren't the first 5-6 games which has gotten him going. 

I hope this doesn't come off as rude because I don't mean it to whatsoever, but it seems like you like these discussions to stay very surface level, where others of us like to dig deeper into the "why" of things, how things can improve or develop, etc., and for some reason those styles seem to often be at odds. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

The first part is literally just getting exhausting to even discuss anymore. Some of us like to dig deeper into the metrics that matter, how many wins it will take, etc.

For the 2nd question, I think it's crystal clear that offensive improvements are more than just guys getting comfortable. 

I've shared film from Coach Adranga on new sets and schemes that IU has implemented over the last couple of weeks. 

We've used a horns set more, we've used chin action much more, etc. We've used Galloway is much different actions that we were the first 5-6 games which has gotten him going. 

I hope this doesn't come off as rude because I don't mean it to whatsoever, but it seems like you like these discussions to stay very surface level, where others of us like to dig deeper into the "why" of things, how things can improve or develop, etc., and for some reason those styles seem to often be at odds. 

See to me sports are entertainment and don't see a need to break everything down to the millimeter.  I know they are important but to me using only analytics is a  terrible way in choosing the teams. To me analytics can lie and paint what ever picture some one wants paint. 

Not saying this about you but some of these analytical nerds are so pompous and act like they invented the game. Brian Kenney on the MLB is the worst and he acts like he is better than others because he only uses analytics. He thinks if you don't use them you don't know anything 

Edited by IU Scott

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

We've used a horns set more, we've used chin action much more, etc. We've used Galloway is much different actions that we weren't the first 5-6 games which has gotten him going. 

I’ve been doing my best to stay out of it, but here I am. The first highlighted is spot on! 
Last highlighted is also spot on!

My question is why can’t we have both without getting into another agitated discussion? And yes it takes two!!!!!!!!!

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

See to me sports are entertainment and don't see a need to break everything down to the millimeter. 

Then let those of us that do like to break it down have the discussion.  You're a great contributor to the board, but you don't have to participate in every conversation.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

I think you need to turn in your emoji!image.gif.cbe6bb9156121d1149bb2cdb8cff9c58.gif

I don't think I was ever s sunshine pumper, but I was accused of it when I tried to bring a little balance in the past when I thought folks were overly negative, so I wear the badge mostly for fun.  Now, frankly, I think a lot of the fans are perhaps a little overly optimistic with a young team.  For sure, they can and likely will get better as the season goes on, but other teams will also get better.  I'd feel a whole lot more confident with X and Galloway in the backcourt, assuming X quickly shakes off the rust and plays like he's capable of playing, but right now, I don't think IU has proven much besides the ability to beat teams they should beat.

I'd love to be more optimistic, but right now, I'm very much in "show me" mode.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I keep it surface level because that's the breadth of my knowledge, and I'm not afraid to admit that...I watch a lot of Big 10 games, and I can see talent and what constitutes a good play as opposed to bad...I know the history of the game very well...

But I'm not going to BS anybody by pretending to know more than I do...

8 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

And you didn’t even need to respond to this! It works both ways!

OK.  I'm grouchy today, so I apologize if I'm misinterpreting what you mean, but WTF are you talking about?  I didn't respond to your post.  I quoted Scott.   I started this thread/topic, which gives me a little bit of ownership in the conversation.     

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I don't think I was ever s sunshine pumper, but I was accused of it when I tried to bring a little balance in the past when I thought folks were overly negative, so I wear the badge mostly for fun.  Now, frankly, I think a lot of the fans are perhaps a little overly optimistic with a young team.  For sure, they can and likely will get better as the season goes on, but other teams will also get better.  I'd feel a whole lot more confident with X and Galloway in the backcourt, assuming X quickly shakes off the rust and plays like he's capable of playing, but right now, I don't think IU has proven much besides the ability to beat teams they should beat.

I'd love to be more optimistic, but right now, I'm very much in "show me" mode.

To me being a sunshine pumper is a compliment and not a bad thing. I would rather be a person that look at the good and positive things over looking at everything in a pessimistic viewpoint. It is a lot happier way to live. I use to be overly negative and stressed about the outcomes of IU games but was always miserable.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

OK.  I'm grouchy today, so I apologize if I'm misinterpreting what you mean, but WTF are you talking about?  I didn't respond to your post.  I quoted Scott.   I started this thread/topic, which gives me a little bit of ownership in the conversation.     

Actually I was responding to the combination. Your response to @IU Scott and his included.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

To me being a sunshine pumper is a compliment and not a bad thing. I would rather be a person that look at the good and positive things over looking at everything in a pessimistic viewpoint. It is a lot happier way to live. I use to be overly negative and stressed about the outcomes of IU games but was always miserable.

In reality, I think I'm down the middle...not overly optimistic or pessimistic,  I'd like to think I'm realistic, and the numbers and my eyes agree that this is a team with a lot to prove at this point.  I'm with you on this...IU wins or losses don't really rank that high in my life priorities at this stage.  I'm happy with wins and annoyed at losses, but I tend to get over it pretty quick.

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I keep it surface level because that's the breadth of my knowledge, and I'm not afraid to admit that...I watch a lot of Big 10 games, and I can see talent and what constitutes a good play as opposed to bad...I know the history of the game very well...

But I'm not going to BS anybody by pretending to know more than I do...

Very self aware, which is a great skill to possess. 

I also am not pretending to know more than I do. The game of basketball has been very good to me in my life and with hard work and some good fortune I've been in and around the game at levels where I like to and can reasonably discuss the intricacies, strategies and X's and O's. 

The previous paragraph by no means says that I know more than Mike Woodson. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Very self aware, which is a great skill to possess. 

I also am not pretending to know more than I do. The game of basketball has been very good to me in my life and with hard work and some good fortune I've been in and around the game at levels where I like to and can reasonly discuss the intricacies, strategies and X's and O's. 

The previous paragraph by no means says that I know more than Mike Woodson. 

I was only speaking of and for myself...

And I didn't take the second paragraph that way... I do think the criticism of Coach Woodson gets a little out of hand in a lot of different areas sometimes...

He's at IU for the right reasons in my book, and he's trying to do the right thing, both basketball wise and with the kids as a whole...

And that's good enough for me right now... 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Not really against you at all @5fouls I totally enjoy your contributions! But since you took ownership of this thread I’ll speak to these numbers! While I admit I’m not even close to being a statistician I have been a part of writing test protocols and the associated reports for approving medical devices used in body for cancer treatment. Always involved statistical analysis! Someone posted the Kansas game is fool’s gold, I say relying on statistics based on Box Scores is fool’s gold!

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I don't get people with such a negative outlook on this season. Have you guys watched other big ten teams because there aren't many good teams this year

so, i get your stance is that no one is allowed to be "negative" other than you when you're upset, but this time i think i'm being more realistic than negative.  i mean, i hope we are about to go 20-0 in conference, but just because i want that, should i say i think it will happen?  i like this team and it's potential.  that said, serious question - how many road conference games do you think we'll win?  road wins are awful tough in conference even against weak teams.  has been that way for quite a while now.  we were 12-8 last year.  without even diving into other ratings, just looking at the rankings you have Purdue, Illinois, and Wisconsin ranked.  Ohio St, Michigan St., NW are all receiving votes and we are not.  anyway, i'm saying looking at the schedule i think somewhere around 11-9 or 10-10 seems reasonable.  i think that would put us on the bubble. what is your honest opinion?  you think we go undefeated at home?  what road games do you expect us to win?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I was only speaking of and for myself...

And I didn't take the second paragraph that way... I do think the criticism of Coach Woodson gets a little out of hand in a lot of different areas sometimes...

He's at IU for the right reasons in my book, and he's trying to do the right thing, both basketball wise and with the kids as a whole...

And that's good enough for me right now... 

Honestly appreciate this exchange we've had here. I feel like I have a better understanding of your perspective and how to engage/discuss with you in a more productive way moving forward. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

so, i get your stance is that no one is allowed to be "negative" other than you when you're upset, but this time i think i'm being more realistic than negative.  i mean, i hope we are about to go 20-0 in conference, but just because i want that, should i say i think it will happen?  i like this team and it's potential.  that said, serious question - how many road conference games do you think we'll win?  road wins are awful tough in conference even against weak teams.  has been that way for quite a while now.  we were 12-8 last year.  without even diving into other ratings, just looking at the rankings you have Purdue, Illinois, and Wisconsin ranked.  Ohio St, Michigan St., NW are all receiving votes and we are not.  anyway, i'm saying looking at the schedule i think somewhere around 11-9 or 10-10 seems reasonable.  i think that would put us on the bubble. what is your honest opinion?  you think we go undefeated at home?  what road games do you expect us to win?

I could see us winning Rutgers Penn state Maryland Minnesota the Illinois game might be one to watch with the developments that have happened with that team…

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Where did I say you couldn't be negative but don't.umderstand why people would be pessimistic going into the conference season. To me we definitely looked better than most of the big ten teams. I see a team if they play to win their potential they will be a top 5 team in the conference. Besides Purdue there are no other team who I would say we shouldn't be able to beat 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

@Michigan:coffee:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

@IU Scottyou are one of the most negative posters in game threads, both IU and Colts games.

Today’s game was a complete dump by you and another Colt “fan.”

If you have read my response is that I understand people being upset during the game. Also on this certain topic I didn't say anyone couldn't be negative but don't see why people would be so pessimistic going into this conference season.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, IUskim said:

I could see us winning Rutgers Penn state Maryland Minnesota the Illinois game might be one to watch with the developments that have happened with that team…

fair enough.  i am curious what others think.  it has been so hard to get road wins in conference.  if we get those 5 along with the Michigan one, i'd be very happy.  i guess that's assuming we win all of our home games.  we didn't do that last year.  if i counted right, we won 4 conference road games.  just wondering what most would predict if they went through our upcoming conference schedule and had to make a bet with someone.  i say 9-9 from here, so 11-9.  that would put us at 19-12 going into the BTT.  i would think we'd need to have a solid showing.  just my thoughts and prediction.  i hope we go 18-0!

34 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Where did I say you couldn't be negative but don't.umderstand why people would be pessimistic going into the conference season. To me we definitely looked better than most of the big ten teams. I see a team if they play to win their potential they will be a top 5 team in the conference. Besides Purdue there are no other team who I would say we shouldn't be able to beat 

that's fair.  i definitely don't have time to watch other random B1G games, so you know that better than i do.  i would just caution that we only won 4 road conference games last year.  it's not that the other teams are great.  it's just tough to beat them on their home floor.  pretty hard to point to games that give me confidence we'll win more than that this year.  now that said, i get your point that Purdue is really the only impressive team.  could we beat anybody else on the road?  sure.  i agree.  how many of those games do you think we'll win?