Louisville Post Game Thread

KDB

1 hour ago, bluegrassIU said:

Have you all heard?

IU beat Louisville last night. 

You remember the gossip game kids used to play.  Get a group of about 8 kids together and they whisper the message around the room and it becomes something totally different.  Here's how that might work in this situation.

Kid 1 to Kid 2:  IU beat Louisville last night

Kid 2 to Kid 3:  I beat Louis in a fight

Kid 3 to Kid 4: I could beat you in a fight

Kid 4 to Kid 5: I could beat you in a fight, you better duck

Kid 5 to Kid 6: I could beat you in a fight, you suck.

Kid 6 to Kid 7: I beat you, you suck.

Kid 7 to kid 8:  I'm confused as hell, the message was something like "I and you and suck"

Kid 8 to Group:  The message is "IU Sucks"

Edited by 5fouls
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

You remember the gossip game kids used to play.  Get a group of about 8 kids together and they whisper the message around the room and it becomes something totally different.  Here's how that might work in this situation.

Kid 7 to kid 8:  I'm confused as hell, the message was something like "I and you and suck"

You have too much time on your hands....lol

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i'm just happy we won.  i think you have to remember that Louisville isn't good and that we were supposed to win that game though.  really not much from that game that gives me more confidence going forward.  starters didn't look good.  it is encouraging to get bench contributions, but we are going to play a lot of teams that are a lot better than Louisville.  i stay with what i have been saying - i like the talent on this team.  although i do think it is a poorly put together roster and question if Woodson is the guy - i hope we just keep getting better and better.  quickly!

IU was a 7.5 favorite and covered. But really, I believe Louisville is a decent team. They got beat on a buzzer beater by Texas. Is IU "good"? Not currently. But I think they showed some grit in this game and Woody did some actual "coaching" and both are reasons for optimism. Once the rotation is locked in, and players get more comfortable with their roles you'll see better continuity on both offense and defense. But to be a good team, they are going to have to knock down some threes.  And at this point, that seems like a tall task. It's still odd they haven't been able to recruit a shooter in 6 years or what have you. 

Edited by OGIUAndy
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

If those kids went to Purdue Kid 8 would marry a cow.

Edited by SawatchHoosier
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I have a 39 year old daughter that competes in local martial arts competitions...

If someone came up to her after a match and told her "you suck" I'd get at them (assuming of course she wasn't already kicking their ass) 

It's a smear any way you slice it... Not an "opinion."

Walk up to the next guy you see on the street and say it to him... I'm sure he won't consider it an "opinion."

But you might want to duck... 

You may have a 38 year old daughter, but she isn't a child. You specifically said child - that is drastically different than your adult daughter. 

Just now, Artesian_86 said:

....I'm a father of 2 grown, married and each with 2 yr. old daughters,....In my eyes, they will always be my baby girls. 

That's great, but that is very different from being a child.

The example given was @IUFLA comparing saying "you suck" to a child as opposed to saying "we sucK" about college basketball players who are highly compensated and we are all invested in. It continues to be a terrible example.

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

My own personal opinion is Belichick has past his coaching expiration date (and I believe every coach has one)

I am curious about this point. How many years ago do you think was BB's coaching expiration date? I think you could make a compelling argument that it was 4 years ago, but what do you think? 

I agree with you when you say Mike Woodson knows more about basketball than most likely everyone on this board. By your own admission, though, that doesn't mean that as the game progresses and changes a coach stays on top of what is the optimal strategy based on how things are TODAY. Coaches have an expiration date, after all. 

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Yeah but I'm older than you, so, to cite an old military axiom, rank has its privileges 

Okay Guys.  You wanna talk age? I’m so old I remember the year 1953. IU star center Schlunt scored 41 pts at Chicago Stadium to break Geo Mikan’s record of 37 pts, playing for DePaul.  Mikan went on to star in NBa for Lakers.  Schlunt was drsfted by the Syracuse Nationals.   (Btw, I remember the year, but not a ghing about the game because we had no TVand I was 4 yrs old).  Haha

• Like 3

Just re-watched the game because I've noticed something in all 3 games before this that bothered me. When Ware sets a high ball screen, he doesn't actually get up into the on-ball defender. Most of the time he's 3'-5' to the side, or in the rear of the defender. This gives the defender far to much room to fight over the screen, and...gives Ware's defender an extra second or 2 to recover if our ball handler tries to drive. And to make matters worse our ball handlers (X & TG) don't even try to rub their man off on the screen. It reared it's ugly head yet again in the L'ville game...5-6 times.

Other teams set screens where there is significant contact  from the screener to the on ball defender. Watch Payton Sparks set a screen. You can feel his contact sitting in your chair at home. 

Hope one of the staff points this out to Ware and gets it corrected. Would make for easier drives for the ball handler.

(IMO...)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

54 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Terrible pass by Mahomes, right @bluegrassIU

@KoB2011 played the gossip game while reading the IU/UL Post Game thread and somehow, through all that discussion,  comes out with the words Mahomes, Kevin Harlan, Valdez-Scantling, and drop.  Impressive.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, DWB said:

Just re-watched the game because I've noticed something in all 3 games before this that bothered me. When Ware sets a high ball screen, he doesn't actually get up into the on-ball defender. Most of the time he's 3'-5' to the side, or in the rear of the defender. This gives the defender far to much room to fight over the screen, and...gives Ware's defender an extra second or 2 to recover if our ball handler tries to drive. And to make matters worse our ball handlers (X & TG) don't even try to rub their man off on the screen. It reared it's ugly head yet again in the L'ville game...5-6 times.

Other teams set screens where there is significant contact  from the screener to the on ball defender. Watch Payton Sparks set a screen. You can feel his contact sitting in your chair at home. 

Hope one of the staff points this out to Ware and gets it corrected. Would make for easier drives for the ball handler.

(IMO...)

The player formerly known as twitter and TJD also went through this same thing, until they got it together. Clean up on the PandR CMW!

10 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

see this is what i was going to say.  i do give kudos to Woodson for listening to suggestions and making a change.  i don't mind seeing us play more zone, ut i sure hope we practice it a lot if we do.  we are long enough, but that was not a good team or a well coached team we just beat.  

I can tell you as a head coach it’s my responsibility to make adjustments as necessary but also listen to my assistant coach/coaches/players if they have adjustments and decide. The issue is Woodson self admittedly isn’t a zone guy but the issue is your team currently isn’t a man to man team. They struggle badky with it and as head coach it’s his responsibility to put them in a position of strength. IMO his man to man has been an issue since he’s been here. He needs to be the one to figure out what he wants this primary defense to be. If it’s man to man then great but he needs to work for hours upon hours upon hours until they figure it out. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

You may have a 38 year old daughter, but she isn't a child. You specifically said child - that is drastically different than your adult daughter. 

You're conflating the argument... The premise was is it an opinion or just a lazy smear against our kids... Age doesn't matter... It's a slam anyway you slice it, kid, adult, whoever

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I am curious about this point. How many years ago do you think was BB's coaching expiration date? I think you could make a compelling argument that it was 4 years ago, but what do you think? 

I agree with you when you say Mike Woodson knows more about basketball than most likely everyone on this board. By your own admission, though, that doesn't mean that as the game progresses and changes a coach stays on top of what is the optimal strategy based on how things are TODAY. Coaches have an expiration date, after all. 

First question, I have no idea... I don't watch too much NFL football... I do know he went 11-5 with Matt Cassell at QB back when Brady got injured in like 2005 or so... Did his coaching decline coincide with Brady leaving? Don't know...

As far as Woody goes, I don't see a lot to complain about... He has his way of coaching, and he's been successful here... People can pick at it, but like I said, I'd love to see some of them sit down in a forum with him and try to keep up... He'd probably say something like he said about sportswriters asking about Mgbako...

As far as leadership goes, in my eyes, he's been about as good as you can be...