Potential HC Candidates

KDB

Just now, Steubenhoosier said:

I have mentioned this before in various threads. I was in Madison when Bucky was just as bad as we are… and without the money we now have.

Why can’t we find our Barry Alvarez who will make the school his career?

I mean realistically this was Tom Allen. Had he been successful I think he’d have been our guy for the next 15 years, just didn’t work out.

Cignetti's track record is certainly impressive. His stop in Tuscaloosa alone gives him credibility being part of Saban's tree. 

I'm also intrigued by Mike Hart and I can't put my finger on it other than he's been here. Knows the Big 10,etc...

Honestly would be ok with either even though Herman was my first choice. 

One totally random thought and I know it wouldn't happen. Do you think if we named Hart HC that ARE would come and be associate HC or whatever? Just curious if he would take that as a slap.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

One totally random thought and I know it wouldn't happen. Do you think if we named Hart HC that ARE would come and be associate HC or whatever? Just curious if he would take that as a slap.

i think he would understand and appreciate the consideration.  It's not like Hart is some random dude.  He has ties to the organization.  

That said, if I am ARE, I am not signing on for anything less than head coach.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 1

Just now, 5fouls said:

i think he would IU understand and appreciate the consideration.  It's not like Hart is some random dude.  He has ties to the organization.  

That said, if I am ARE, I am not signing on for anything less than head coach.

I feel at this point it might be best to hire someone without ties to IU. Need a clean slate, something new.

5 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

This is interesting...he thinks it is winding down and potentially wrapping up in next 24-36 hours. He mentioned: Chryst, Cignetti, Candle, and Herman. No mention of Hart.

No offense to Zach, he's a good dude, is good at what he does, and has been around the IU beat for a long time, but with that said it sounds like he knows basically what everyone else does...nothing. 

Like, when these guys say a name along with, "has been gaining traction", what does that mean? 

It sounds like it means that the name is being mentioned on Twitter and message boards. Which really doesn't mean anything. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

This is interesting...he thinks it is winding down and potentially wrapping up in next 24-36 hours. He mentioned: Chryst, Cignetti, Candle, and Herman. No mention of Hart.

All the respect in the world to people like Zach or others who are on the beat but he's not an insider by any means and if people at IU were wanting to leak information to see what the public thinks they wouldn't be using him. 

Shoot I could be an insider just pulling information from here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I think a lot of Hoosier fans are looking at this incorrectly.  If we're going realistic, even if Bear Bryant was head coach, with Nick Saban and Bobby Bowden as assistants, IU is not going to be hanging out in the college football playoff. 

If, and it's a big IF, we stumble across a coach that gets us to 9-3 in a couple of years, that coach is not going to be at IU the following season.  Just not going to happen. And, then IU is right back trying to find a new coach, and with player free agency, a potentially massive rebuild. And, then if that rebuild is successful, we go through it all over again.

The one exception to that rule would be someone with deep ties to the university.

If you're lucky enough to catch lightning in a bottle once, don't set it up so that you have to try it again 5 years later.  

Get the guy who is going to hang around 15-20 years.  That's how you build a program.  Consistent bowl trips.  A string of 7-5 years for IU is better than a random 9-3 followed by a string of 5-7 and 4-8 seasons.  You get those patterns when you keep changing coaches.

I don’t think any realistic fan expects IU on the playoffs.  I would settle for three years in a row of 500 or above football and best case scenario a top 25 team at the end of a season once or twice.  I would personally be ecstatic with that.

So, if Indiana is at 3-3.5 million, that is a pretty solid start and I would think help lure a solid coach.  The right coach could definitely entice additional money into the pool also.  So, this all sounds promising to showing a commitment to turning the ship around.  Might be enough to get a candidate like Herman on board.

Edited by SpiderMonkey
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, SpiderMonkey said:

So, if Indiana is at 3-3.5 million that is pretty solid and should help lure a coach in I would think.  The right coach could definitely entice additional money into the pool too.  This all sounds promising to show a commitment to turning the ship around the program.

Might be enough to get a Herman on board.

Are we sure that's our number?