Potential HC Candidates

KDB

2 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

So here is a thought I have had about that very thing.  If you were an outside the box thinker at the AD, it would almost be in your best interest to offer a deal like the following to several of your large donors.  We are about to embark on a large building spree for say football.  We would normally be coming to you looking for a large donation to help fund that for naming rights.  However, in lieu of that, we would like to request a $100,000 donation to the school for naming rights and then the type of donation that got made to put the Simon-Skjodt name on Assembly Hall instead be made to Hoosiers For Good.

You want a huge NIL endowment that you can invest and then you supplement all the year to year NIL donations with 75% of the gains from the endowment each year.

For instance, say you are able to cobble together an initial endowment of $100 million.  At a usually modest return of 7% you are now sitting on $107 million.  Fund the next year's NIL with $5.25 million and you still have $101.75 million left over.  A 7% gain on that would yield $7,122,500 in gains.  Take 75% of that and you have $5.34 million to plug into NIL and your endowment has grown to $103,530,625.

You wouldn't be competing with the Ohio State's in football right off the bat but that money would continue to grow until you were.  It also keeps you from having to constantly fundraise for NIL with those high dollar people and they get their name on a building to boot.

You must be a finance guy. I have a good friend who goes on and on about compounding and how misunderstood it is. I really like your idea.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I mean, there just doesn't seem to be anything to back that up but okay.

We know Hart loves his alma mater, but do we really not think almost everyone that has spent their life in CFB doesn't have a program that is near and dear to their heart for some reason? Or doesn't just want to be at the top of their profession?

If I'm being honest, I don't know that I want a coach that would stay at IU if IU isn't their dream job for some reason. That doesn't sound like an ambitious person at all to me. 

Agree.

Hart may never be considered for HC at UM regardless of how successful he might be at IU if he were to get the job.

MSU just hired away OrSU's coach from his alma mater.

Bob Knight's alma mater was in the Big Ten.

If Hart's IU's choice, then there shouldn't be any more concern with him leaving for a better job than anyone else. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cybergates said:

Agree.

Hart may never be considered for HC at UM regardless of how successful he might be at IU if he were to get the job.

MSU just hired away OrSU's coach from his alma mater.

Bob Knight's alma mater was in the Big Ten.

If Hart's IU's choice, then there shouldn't be any more concern with him leaving for a better job than anyone else. 

That has to be gutwrenching. 

• Like 1

I don’t understand the excitement around Cignetti. His presessor at JMU was arguably more successful there and is now 24-34 at East Carolina

JMU under Cignetti has only one win over power 5 conference teams (a 1pt win over Virginia this year). He hasn’t coached at this level since he was Alabama’s WR coach 14 years ago. He’s also in his 60s. His success at JMU has zero translation to success in the BigTen. To assume otherwise is a massive gamble. 

• Confused 2

3 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

I don’t understand the excitement around Cignetti. His presessor at JMU was arguably more successful there and is now 24-34 at East Carolina

JMU under Cignetti has only one win over power 5 conference teams (a 1pt win over Virginia this year). He hasn’t coached at this level since he was Alabama’s WR coach 14 years ago. He’s also in his 60s. His success at JMU has zero translation to success in the BigTen. To assume otherwise is a massive gamble. 

Wouldn’t this sentiment be the same for all the candidates mentioned except for Herman and Cryst?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

I'm shocked you've painted this into a negative light. Who would you have been happy with? Who wouldn't have been considered a massive gamble? 

• Like 2