Potential HC Candidates

KDB

Just now, rico said:

Herman.

I think you can make a case Herman would be a better hire, sure, but that's probably it from the names we've seen floating around.

And even Herman you could easily spin it to not be good enough - "was Power 5 coach at Texas and got fired. If he couldn't succeed there why in the world do we think he can do it at IU?" 

• Like 1

Just now, KoB2011 said:

I think you can make a case Herman would be a better hire, sure, but that's probably it from the names we've seen floating around.

And even Herman you could easily spin it to not be good enough - "was Power 5 coach at Texas and got fired. If he couldn't succeed there why in the world do we think he can do it at IU?" 

He also just put up a 4-8 record at FAU, which is their worst record since 2016. Every potential hire has flaws you can point to.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Kdug said:

He also just put up a 4-8 record at FAU, which is their worst record since 2016. Every potential hire has flaws you can point to.

Almost everyone willing to come to IU will.  Coaching is a fickle thing.  I think there are a few coaches (like Bob Knight) who just know their sport so well that even when kind of mailing it in, they can still be successful.  Others look like geniuses when the right pieces are in place but look less so when some things change (Bill Belichik).

There isn't going to be one guy that will walk in here and you will be able to say, beyond a shadow of a doubt, we got our guy.  

• Like 1

The standards and expectations at Texas are much different than at IU. Herman won 4 bowl games in a row while he coached the Longhorns. Can't think of anyone on this board who wouldn't be ecstatic with that record.

He was 4-8 in his first year at FAU. Nothing great, but probably what was expected with bringing in a new staff.

I would have taken Herman over anyone else that has been mentioned in this search.

• Like 2

Just now, btownqb said:

I'm shocked you've painted this into a negative light. Who would you have been happy with? Who wouldn't have been considered a massive gamble? 

In no particular order:

No Brainers:  Alex Atkins; Garrett Riley; Sherrone Moore; Tom Herman; Brian Hartline; Seth Littrell

Risky but Frisky: Ryan Grubb, ARE, D Mac, Frye, Hart; Jamey Chadwell; Josh Henson

The list of power 5 coordinators to graduate to success as HC is like 50 to 1 vs guys who coached almost exclusively at the mid major level. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

In no particular order:

No Brainers:  Alex Atkins; Garrett Riley; Sherrone Moore; Tom Herman; Brian Hartline; Seth Littrell

Risky but Frisky: Ryan Grubb, ARE, D Mac, Frye, Hart; Jamey Chadwell; Josh Henson

The list of power 5 coordinators to graduate to success as HC is like 50 to 1 vs guys who coached almost exclusively at the mid major level. 

Seth Littrell was 44-44 as a head coach at North Texas.  He’s a better candidate than Cignetti?  lol

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

The standards and expectations at Texas are much different than at IU. Herman won 4 bowl games in a row while he coached the Longhorns. Can't think of anyone on this board who wouldn't be ecstatic with that record.

He was 4-8 in his first year at FAU. Nothing great, but probably what was expected with bringing in a new staff.

I would have taken Herman over anyone else that has been mentioned in this search.

Just to be clear, I was playing devlis advocate in response to someone knocking Cig because of how his predecessor performed elsewhere when he left JMU. I would be just as ecstatic with Herman as I will be with Cig. I think both are A+ hires.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

In no particular order:

Some of these answers don't deserve a response, but I knew we'd find one person that wasn't happy about the hire, no worries. 

You aren't going to convince me anyone on this list is less of a gamble than Cignetti. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 2

Just now, TargaFlorio said:

I think Bogey Bird is also (or was) associated with Fuzzy Zoeller. The tail number on the plane ends with "FZ".  Its been used in the past for IU coaching searches and he's from the New Albany area.

Yep. I was just more confirming this DOES seem to be a direct link to Cignetti. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, IUJoe said:

Seth Littrell was 44-44 as a head coach at North Texas.  He’s a better candidate than Cignetti?  lol

Pretty decent when you consider he and Hayden Frye are the only two guys in modern football history to have a winning record leading that program. North Texas is to football as IUPUI or whatever they call themselves now is to basketball. They’re an FCS school masquerading as a mid major surrounded by the biggest powerhouses in all of college football. 

21 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

In no particular order:

That last part is just factually incorrect. You can get a successful head coach from anywhere. Urban Meyer and Harbaugh are probably the two most successful head coaches in recent years in the big ten, and both started as mid major head coaches.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Kdug said:

That last part is just factually incorrect. You can get a successful head coach from anywhere. Urban Meyer and Harbaugh are probably the two most successful head coaches in recent years in the big ten, and both started as mid major head coaches.

Saban started mid-major (I get that it was a long time ago), DeBoar, Missouri HC.... seems like it's a pretty even mix of where the top teams coaches came from. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Duke is also after Cignetti.  It's not outside the realm of possibility that he may prefer that opportunity.

It's possible for sure - they definitely have a better foundation in place at the moment. I do think academic requirements and being in the ACC as opposed to the B1G would give me pause on that job if I had another P5 option.

I definitely don't have cream and crimson glasses on saying that.