Maryland Pre-Game Thread

IUFLA

3 hours ago, JJack said:

Unfortunately, with the current roster there isn't any other way to view it from his standpoint.  Why is the roster built this way is the question. 

I think this idea is overblown. We have guys that should be able to hit 3's - just too many of them haven't been doing so.

MM is (was?) a projected lottery pick and his defining skill as a recruit was his shooting.

Cupps was a 44% shooter from 3 his junior year (my 30 seconds of searching couldn't find his senior year numbers) and is famous for competing with LeBron from there.

X shot 38% and 37% his two years with us.

Ware is certainly vastly better from range than most guys his size, and has hit them pretty successfully for us.

Galloway shot 40% last year.

That's 5 rotation players that should be more than competent shooters (not including Banks who has actually been a competent shooter in reality his whole time here). If Galloway and MM were hitting 40%, we would rank 97th in the country in percentage.

Our roster is built for Galloway and X to be mid-volume, high percentage shooters and MM to be a guy shooting himself into the lottery. If those things were happening, we wouldn't be talking about this.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

Ware is certainly vastly better from range than most guys his size, and has hit them pretty successfully for us.

Until Mac warmed up a little vs Harvard, Kel'el was the one I had the most confidence that it was going in when he let it go...

• Like 1

In my opinion the problem with 3 point shooting or the lack of is that we don't run an offense to get guys looks from the 3.  Also the guys don't look like they are ready to shoot when they get the ball.  To me it appears they are told to look inside first before shooting

I think once a shooter hesitates it is to late to shoot the ball. They don't look confident shooting and I think some of that is they think before shooting instead of just catching and shooting.

I know I never played at a high level but I could shoot the 3. I never saw a shot that I didn't like so when I caught the ball I didn't hesitate but just shot the ball.  When I had a slump it is when I thought about shooting or is this a good shot

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

In my opinion the problem with 3 point shooting or the lack of is that we don't run an offense to get guys looks from the 3.  Also the guys don't look like they are ready to shoot when they get the ball.  To me it appears they are told to look inside first before shooting

I think once a shooter hesitates it is to late to shoot the ball. They don't look confident shooting and I think some of that is they think before shooting instead of just catching and shooting.

I know I never played at a high level but I could shoot the 3. I never saw a shot that I didn't like so when I caught the ball I didn't hesitate but just shot the ball.  When I had a slump it is when I thought about shooting or is this a good shot

Very much agree. We haven't had many fast break opportunities, but I can't recall an IU player shooting a three in transition this year. Other teams do that all the time. 

56 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

I think this idea is overblown. We have guys that should be able to hit 3's - just too many of them haven't been doing so.

MM is (was?) a projected lottery pick and his defining skill as a recruit was his shooting.

Cupps was a 44% shooter from 3 his junior year (my 30 seconds of searching couldn't find his senior year numbers) and is famous for competing with LeBron from there.

That's 5 rotation players that should be more than competent shooters (not including Banks who has actually been a competent shooter in reality his whole time here). If Galloway and MM were hitting 40%, we would rank 97th in the country in percentage.

Our roster is built for Galloway and X to be mid-volume, high percentage shooters and MM to be a guy shooting himself into the lottery. If those things were happening, we wouldn't be talking about this.

Yeah, but out of all those guys….who is capable of being the guy to get his own shot? Or who are we running off screens to get a late three besides MM? That’s the problem…. Having guys who can hit open ones is different than having guys who can “get” open ones. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HoosierDom said:

CJ was also a guy coming in that had range and shooting ability. We just need the guys capable of making to start making. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

but other than that, I'd be interested in hearing actual names of people we missed on, rather than the generic "our roster is poorly constructed." 

I was pretty high on Quincy Olivari that ended up at Xavier.   I think we were listed as a team that contacted him, but I have no idea if it went beyond that.  

1 hour ago, HoosierDom said:

There’s plenty of time….they’ll start falling. 🫣

Edited by Hoosier4Life53

2 hours ago, HoosierDom said:

I agree.  What I don't understand is why does it appear like Galloway, Cupps, Leal, etc. don't even look at the basket most of the time when catching the ball with a defender several feet off?

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Hard to believe we’re even having this conversation with the history of shooters we’ve had over the years….where did they all go?

Career 3 pt Stats:

Alford - 53%
Brian Evans - 40.8%
Kyle Hornsby - 41.4%     
Jay Edwards - 48.1%      
AJ Guyton - 41.4%
James Blackmon Jr - 41.5%
Christian Watford - 42.3%
Jordan Hulls - 44..2%   
Nick Zeisloft - 43.2%
Matt Roth - 41.6%

And I’m sure I missed a couple too.

Edited by Hoosier4Life53

1 hour ago, 94hoosier said:

CJ was also a guy coming in that had range and shooting ability. We just need the guys capable of making to start making. 

Shows you how many times these recruiting analysts are clueless to how a high school player will perform in college. CJ shot a whopping 8% from 3 last year from three is so far 0-4 this year. 

Speaking of 3...X is our best shooter this year as he's 5-10. If we lose him for an extended period then our 3 point prowess could actually sink lower (if that's even possible).

5 minutes ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

Hard to believe we’re even having this conversation with the history of shooters we’ve had over the years….where did they all go?

Career Stats:

Alford - 53%
Brian Evans - 40.%
Kyle Hornsby - 41.4%     
Jay Edwards - 48.1%      
AJ Guyton - 41.4%
James Blackmon Jr - 41.5%
Christian Watford - 42.3%
Jordan Hulls - 44..2%

And I’m sure I missed a couple too.

Eric Gordon. He was automatic. If he didn't break his wrist during the early part of the season his shooting percentage would be quite a bit higher. Speaking of a broken wrist...shows you how tough he was. In today's game, if a lottery draft pick breaks his wrist, they're probably out for the rest of the season. That was only 16 years ago. EJ was a special player.

Tremendous driver too. Had great strength. 

Edited by Hoosier987
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

Eric Gordon. He was automatic. If he didn't break his wrist during the early part of the season his shooting percentage would be quite a bit higher. Speaking of a broken wrist...shows you how tough he was. In today's game, if a lottery draft pick breaks his wrist, they're probably out for the rest of the season. That was only 16 years ago. EJ was a special player.

Tremendous driver too. Had great strength. 

I agree, but my cut off point was 40% or higher and Gordon was at 33.7%.

1 hour ago, Hoosier987 said:

Shows you how many times these recruiting analysts are clueless to how a high school player will perform in college. CJ shot a whopping 8% from 3 last year from three is so far 0-4 this year. 

Speaking of 3...X is our best shooter this year as he's 5-10. If we lose him for an extended period then our 3 point prowess could actually sink lower (if that's even possible).

I wouldn't be so quick to write CJ off just yet... 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I wouldn't be so quick to write CJ off just yet... 

to be a good player on a consistent basis? I’ve written him off. He’s not even a good player on an inconsistent basis. Harsh? I know. Hopefully he proves me wrong….tonight would be a good start.

Edited by Hoosier987

1 hour ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

Any news on XJ for tonight?

13 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

Not playing 

Well, as I said, Trey did ok on Young in the BTT... And I think Gabe can guard Harris-Smith...

CJ is going to have to have his big boy defensive pants on tonight... And Leal will get action, although I don't think he's a good matchup on either... 

15 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Well, as I said, Trey did ok on Young in the BTT... And I think Gabe can guard Harris-Smith...

CJ is going to have to have his big boy defensive pants on tonight... And Leal will get action, although I don't think he's a good matchup on either... 

I say use the zone as needed