Maryland Pre-Game Thread

IUFLA

X is iffy, but as Coach Woody says, it's next man up.

If he can't go, I suspect Woody will put Trey on Jahmir Young and Cupps on the freshman Harris-Smith...Trey did a pretty good job on Young in the BTT last year...

The matchup that bothers me is Mac on Donta Scott... Scott's a good player when he wants to be, and I have a feeling he'll be trying to post Mac up a lot... 

Coach Woodson also kinda poo-poos modern analytics on the 3 point shot...

"What if we were a team that could win without the 3?" 

Edited by IUFLA

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

If he can't go, I suspect Woody will put Trey on Jahmir Young and Cupps on the freshman Harris-Smith...Trey did a pretty good job on Young in the BTT last year...

The matchup that bothers me is Mac on Donta Scott... Scott's a good player when he wants to be, and I have a feeling he'll be trying to post Mac up a lot... 

I don't think having Cuppa guard Smith would be a good idea. He is to big and physical and would take him to the basket 

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

If we are consistently taking/making 10 fewer threes than the other team every game, that’s a minimum of an automatic ten point deficit. We’d have to make an additional five two-point shots to compensate.

That’s one hell of an unnecessary hole to dig yourself into.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I've read opinions that maybe Woody is getting tired of the reports. Now that I have watched this vid, I am confident that there is no MAYBE.... about it.

• Like 1

Obviously a massive game for so many reasons…it’s a home game, start 1-0 in conference play, gain confidence, etc…

I’ll be honest, I haven’t been all that impressed with X’s play this year…but he makes his mark on the defensive side of the ball. We need him today. If memory serves, Jhamir Young had a field day in our first game we played them last year because nobody could contain him off the dribble…I assure you, X will contain that.

Edited by Hoosier987
  • Like 2

Good day to be a Hoosier. New football coach. Press conference at 2:30. IU soccer in the elite 8 at 5:00. 

Oh yah, and basketball at 7 to kick off B1G season.

Edit: IU soccer is tomorrow. IDK if i have been wrong this entire time or if they moved it. 

Edited by ledies22
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, rogue3542 said:

If we are consistently taking/making 10 fewer threes than the other team every game, that’s a minimum of an automatic ten point deficit. We’d have to make an additional five two-point shots to compensate.

Taking and making is completely different, but lets just say its 10 possessions.

IU is shooting 60% from 2 and 24% from 3. On 10 possessions that's 12 points vs 6 or 9 points. If the other team is SHOOTING 10 more 3's and they make it at a 40% clip. That is 12 points on 10 possessions. If they are MAKING 10 more threes a game. they are utiliizing more "empty" trips to get there as they dont shoot 100% to get to that 10 mark. Lets say they shoot 50% from three on those 10 extra makes. that's 20 possessions. If we were to shoot all 2's on 20 possessions shooting 60% that is 24 points to their 30. If we were to shoot all threes on those 20 possessions, we would score 15 points. 

My point. We do not need to shoot more threes because the other teams is. 

GC - 28%

CJ - 0%

MM - 11%

TG - 17%

Hopefully these guys can start making 3's at a better clip. 

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/indiana/men/2024.html

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

Good day to be a Hoosier. 

You know the best thing about being a Hoosier?  

Purdue fans who live in Indiana are still Hoosiers.  It comes with the residency. 

I, on the other hand, never have to claim any characteristics of a Boiler.  My body and soul are clean.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, rogue3542 said:

Unfortunately, with the current roster there isn't any other way to view it from his standpoint.  Why is the roster built this way is the question. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ledies22 said:

Taking and making is completely different, but lets just say its 10 possessions.

IU is shooting 60% from 2 and 24% from 3. On 10 possessions that's 12 points vs 6 or 9 points. If the other team is SHOOTING 10 more 3's and they make it at a 40% clip. That is 12 points on 10 possessions. If they are MAKING 10 more threes a game. they are utiliizing more "empty" trips to get there as they dont shoot 100% to get to that 10 mark. Lets say they shoot 50% from three on those 10 extra makes. that's 20 possessions. If we were to shoot all 2's on 20 possessions shooting 60% that is 24 points to their 30. If we were to shoot all threes on those 20 possessions, we would score 15 points. 

My point. We do not need to shoot more threes because the other teams is. 

GC - 28%

CJ - 0%

MM - 11%

TG - 17%

Hopefully these guys can start making 3's at a better clip. 

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/indiana/men/2024.html

It would be a terrible idea to shoot more 3s right now with how bad the team currently is at making them. I don't see how a higher volume would make that better. If the percentage increases, then they should look at taking more. 

Right now, defending the 3 better should be a huge priority as well as cutting down on the discrepancy in number of shots taken between IU and opponents by cutting down on turnovers and offensive rebounds given up.

In other words, lots of ways to dramatically improve that don't involve shooting more 3s (which right now would probably make things worse). 

Edited by go_iu_bb
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Hoosier987 said:

Obviously a massive game for so many reasons…it’s a home game, start 1-0 in conference play, gain confidence, etc…

I’ll be honest, I haven’t been all that impressed with X’s play this year…but he makes his mark on the defensive side of the ball. We need him today. If memory serves, Jhamir Young had a field day in our first game we played them last year because nobody could contain him off the dribble…I assure you, X will contain that.

see...i'll counter with he negates some of his defensive presence by gambling and over helping too much.  not convinced we're better without him, but also not seeing what i hoped for from him coming into the season.  

3 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

It would be a terrible idea to shoot more 3s right now with how bad the team currently is at making them. I don't see how a higher volume would make that better. If the percentage increases, then they should look at making more. 

Right now, defending the 3 better should be a huge priority as well as cutting down on the discrepancy in number of shots taken between IU and opponents by cutting down on turnovers and offensive rebounds given up.

In other words, lots of ways to dramatically improve that don't involve shooting more 3s (which right now would probably make things worse). 

this is definitely where i am

25 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

It would be a terrible idea to shoot more 3s right now with how bad the team currently is at making them. I don't see how a higher volume would make that better. If the percentage increases, then they should look at taking more. 

Amen. If we can’t make them, we shouldn’t shoot them. But we better damn well be able to defend it on the other end. And so far we haven’t. 

Edited by kyhoosier29
  • Like 2

`I think Woody has more of a "if you're open, I expect you to shoot them" kinda take. 

As far as roster construction, I'll just say this...I know Knecht was a big loss, and would have helped this team a lot, but other than that, I'd be interested in hearing actual names of people we missed on, rather than the generic "our roster is poorly constructed." 

I think just as players have a lot of boxes the school/coach has to check for them, Coach Woodson has boxes the players have to check for him to consider recruiting them...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, ledies22 said:

Good day to be a Hoosier. New football coach. Press conference at 2:30. IU soccer in the elite 8 at 5:00. 

Oh yah, and basketball at 7 to kick off B1G season.

Edit: IU soccer is tomorrow. IDK if i have been wrong this entire time or if they moved it. 

I believe they are making all Elite 8 games on Saturday now

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

`I think Woody has more of a "if you're open, I expect you to shoot them" kinda take. 

As far as roster construction, I'll just say this...I know Knecht was a big loss, and would have helped this team a lot, but other than that, I'd be interested in hearing actual names of people we missed on, rather than the generic "our roster is poorly constructed." 

I think just as players have a lot of boxes the school/coach has to check for them, Coach Woodson has boxes the players have to check for him to consider recruiting them...

Timberlake comes to mind. I know we were on him. Hasn't done a lot at KS so far.

Don't know if we contacted him, but DJ Davis at Butler (SR transfer from UC Irvine) would have been an excellent get. Had 25 last night against TX Tech and was absolutely fearless knocking down clutch shots in an OT game. He's also a 97% FT shooter this year and 89% for his career. Was 1st Team All Big West. 

But he's 6'1, so we probably didn't look at him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Wonder how many thought that CJ or MM(Risley) was going to be a shooter? Trey was what 47% last year, I don’t think it’s roster construction but it just seems that players especially the new ones are still figuring things out and thinking instead of just doing. Woodson says they have a long way to go I believe him.

• Like 2