Auburn Pre-Game Thread

IUFLA

5 hours ago, Boxergracie said:

Is IU better with X? Kupps has a very high BBIQ.  Thoughts?

I will be there on the 16th in KU blue, really excited.  Looking forward to Assembly.

Apologies @Boxergracieour resident greeter passed away a couple years ago and new posters don’t get the deserved welcome as readily anymore. So welcome and not just for the upcoming game but come on in for good discussions/debates/opinions!🙂 

To answer your question, that is one of the ongoing debates that in reality only X can answer!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Boxergracie said:

I will be there on the 16th in KU blue, really excited.  Looking forward to Assembly.

Welcome to The board @Boxergracie. To piggyback off of what @Drroogh said it depends on X. If he is healthy and gets emotional in a good way where he plays within himself yet takes chances he will be a match up problem. If he gets emotional and doesn't play within himself he can still perform the task of pg but there will be mental mistakes and his shot will not be as good. Cupps while having a high BBIQ he doesn't take shots and looks to pass. This in turn makes him hesitant to shoot so he will miss shots he should make. This makes it easier on KUs defense to double and help on our bigs. He also rightfully so is foul prone as a freshman. So we have good and bad with both PGs. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Boxergracie said:

Welcome to the board...

I think IU is definitely better with XJ...Especially if he concentrates on running the team and playing defense...X is a good 3 point shooter (in spite of the funky form), a good finisher at the rim, and one of the better on the ball defenders you'll see...Gabe Cupps is going to be a really good player for us, and even now when it comes to game management he's very good...But he can be physically overmatched, and I thought the spotlight in NYC was a bit much for him at this point in his career...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Boxergracie said:

On Assembly Call last night they were talking about how Woody is calling more plays for Cupps at the point than he does for X. Speculation is that Cupps doens't know the plays that well yet, so Woody is taking that responsibility off his shoulders. But that may also be the reason why they are getting into their sets quicker. They were also speculating that with X calling the plays their is a little more of a delay and it leads to more dribbling at the top of they key while he sets everything up. 

Now, I haven't been watching the sidelines, so i can't say to whether this is or true or not, but the offense has looked more efficient with Cupps at the point. Perhaps this is part of the reason. And if it is, why can't plays be called for X when the offense gets stagnate?

edit/add: I would like to see XJ play off the ball with Cupps at the point more. With his ability to shoot, drive and get to the line, they can really dictate the pace of the game. I think Cupps had proved himself more than capable to not have a drop off in minutes when X returns. 

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

On Assembly Call last night they were talking about how Woody is calling more plays for Cupps at the point than he does for X. Speculation is that Cupps doens't know the plays that well yet, so Woody is taking that responsibility off his shoulders. But that may also be the reason why they are getting into their sets quicker. They were also speculating that with X calling the plays their is a little more of a delay and it leads to more dribbling at the top of they key while he sets everything up. 

Now, I haven't been watching the sidelines, so i can't say to whether this is or true or not, but the offense has looked more efficient with Cupps at the point. Perhaps this is part of the reason. And if it is, why can't plays be called for X when the offense gets stagnate?

I think that is more of a result of X being a capable scorer on his own right (compared to Cupps at his current development level). X might be more rounded in that he can become a strong scorer who doesn't "just" need to look to the bigs to do it. That delay could simply be him assessing between score and facilitate. Cupps' strength right now is setting up the offense first and being a release valve later if the other options aren't open.

• Like 3

End of the day, we need X on the floor to be the best team we can be and hit our full potential, especially as we run up against the best of the best in the B1G and in March. No doubt in my mind. But I do see benefit in the team doing what it has done the past couple of games, playing well without him. Builds confidence, I think. 

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, bronkonagurski said:

End of the day, we need X on the floor to be the best team we can be and hit our full potential, especially as we run up against the best of the best in the B1G and in March. No doubt in my mind. But I do see benefit in the team doing what it has done the past couple of games, playing well without him. Builds confidence, I think. 

It's part of the development process of young players that shifts the mindset from "He has to" to "I can" (and by proxy, "He can.") What I mean by that, is the confidence that is accrued through playing becomes a level of trust, both internally and with teammates. It's not, "Welp, I can't do this, so I better just give the ball to Reneau or Ware." It becomes, "Hey, I can do this [my part] too." AND "I believe this teammate can as well."

• Like 4

Watched a couple of Auburn games (full games) on YouTube in the past couple of days...

Broome (first name is pronounced Jo-NAY'} is not  really a low post up guy...He either hangs on the perimeter for the pick and pop, or he likes to dribble/drive from the foul line...And he's actually got pretty good handles for a big...His backup, Cardwell, is a big, high energy kid that's not much on offense, but he can guard...And is fairly athletic...I wanna see him and Sparks mix it up :) 

Auburn likes to press on inbounds after a basket, but they don't continually pressure down the floor...Both of their PGs, starter Holloway and Tre Donaldson are guys that Gabe can handle I think...Donaldson is built like Chucky Hepburn, but doesn't have Hepburn's game...Holloway is both a good 3 point shooter, and can go to the hoop...Not as good as Dug McDaniel, but along those lines...

If Chris Moore starts, he'll probably be on Mac...He's a tough defender, but not much on the offensive end...

I don't see any way Jaylin Williams handles Malik...My only fear is Malik pulling his spin move and getting it swiped...If he gets it down low with Williams on him, game over...

Last game, Kaleb Banks made it a point to drive to the rim...I think he can have some success there...

Auburn is very physical...and they like to grab and reach in, much like Wisconsin...But they like playing in transition much more than the Badgers...They'll make it a brawl...

We're a much more skilled team, but I do think we need to match their intensity...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

This is our best chance to get a marquee OOC win - would really love to pull this out. 

Yup, important for the resume and probably to begin getting some national recognition. Maybe start getting some top 25 votes. 

Regardless of how good, or not good, Maryland and Michigan may be, three straight P5 wins with one on the road and one neutral would be good for national perception right now. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Serious question.  Do Kansas fans think Hunter Dickinson is a douche bag?

Fair question. I can see how that could be inferred.  However, he has totally embraced KU, fans and traditions, fans love him.  Doubt you watched the game but after we beat UK he was interviewed and in summary he said “as the winniest program of all time we had to get another one upon UK”. So, I can see other view points.

9 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

edit/add: I would like to see XJ play off the ball with Cupps at the point more. With his ability to shoot, drive and get to the line, they can really dictate the pace of the game. I think Cupps had proved himself more than capable to not have a drop off in minutes when X returns. 

Good comments on X.  If he doesn’t get emotional and makes good decisions he is very, just can’t try to make big plays and end up with some poor passes.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BGleas said:

Yup, important for the resume and probably to begin getting some national recognition. Maybe start getting some top 25 votes. 

Regardless of how good, or not good, Maryland and Michigan may be, three straight P5 wins with one on the road and one neutral would be good for national perception right now. 

It’s also important for our tournament chances if we are honest with ourselves.

Is it possible to make the tournament if you got 8-3 OOC with bad OOC metrics and losing every game against a team with a pulse? Yes, but it would probably require 12+ B1G wins which is a tall order. 

• Like 1

On 12/7/2023 at 9:57 PM, Boxergracie said:

Very good point. I really like the way he makes quick decisions, passes often and has a high energy impact on teammates.