Ohio State Game Thread

KDB

2 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

Gotta block out. Find me a still shot of Galloway actually boxing out and I’ll buy you a drink. Only picking on him because he’s a senior but most on this team are guilty of it. This team and their complete lack of fundamentals is tough to watch

I’m at the game and none of them block out.  None of them go after loose balls.  They play in a lot of areas like their feet are glued to the floor.

X needs to shoot the ball.  He didn’t miss in warm ups.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IUJoe said:

I’m at the game and none of them block out.  None of them go after loose balls.  They play in a lot of areas like their feet are glued to the floor.

X needs to shoot the ball.  He didn’t miss in warm ups.

I agree but it is hard for X to get his shot off unless he’s wide open. He falls in love with driving and leaving his feet at the basket, leading to some WILD layup attempts. Unfortunately it’s a problem we have to live with because after 5.5 years, he aint evolving his game 

• Thanks 1

I may be in the minority here but I thought we looked pretty bad. We’re lucky we’re only down one. Obviously rebounding is an ongoing issue but we also look completely clueless defending any screen action. Nobody is ever on the same page. It seems like half the time we end up with either two guys guarding the ball or nobody guarding the ball. “Communication” has been the excuse all season, but to me it’s on the coaches if it’s still happening half way through the season.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 02Hoosier said:

I may be in the minority here but I thought we looked pretty bad. We’re lucky we’re only down one. Obviously rebounding is an ongoing issue but we also look completely clueless defending any screen action. Nobody is ever on the same page. It seems like half the time we end up with either two guys guarding the ball or nobody guarding the ball. “Communication” has been the excuse all season, but to me it’s on the coaches if it’s still happening half way through the season.

Winning the “Points off Turnovers” battle kept us in it. Hopefully we can clean up the perimeter defense a bit and get some better shots 

Just now, ForHumanity said:

Absolutely dumbfounded over those 9 seconds. I thought I've seen everything. I'm sorry I see nothing good with that strategy of fouling. First, we are foul prone already/ 2nd, it gets us into our bench. 

I mean Ohio state did the same thing except they were too close to the bonus to keep going. Only difference was X drove kinda early then drew a shooting foul. 

Absolutely dumbfounded over those 9 seconds. I thought I've seen everything. I'm sorry I see nothing good with that strategy of fouling. First, we are foul prone already/ 2nd, it gets us into our bench. 

We hardly had any fouls at that point. We're not in any foul trouble. 

But again, it was player execution. The plan wasn't to foul 4 times. It was to foul once. 

Mgbako messed it up at first. Then Galloway's foul after half court was the one that was supposed to happen. 

Foul on ensuing inbounds wasn't a strategy, it was a player mistake. Same with the last one. 

The strategy was to foul at about 4-5 seconds to make them reset. 

so... we only had 3 team fouls.  had 3 to give up before they shoot 1 and 1.  you let them inbound, waste a few seconds, then foul.  then they have to inbound again with not much time.  then you foul them again when they get it inbounds.  gives them a couple seconds in the end if you do it right.  we just didn't.  

stagnant offense, where have we seen that before?  When the ball and the player move, good things happen.  What happened to the defense?  Was this team ever any good at D.  Woody prides himself on D.  This team looks slow and afraid to get beat.  Ugh, can they wake up?

5 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

I agree but it is hard for X to get his shot off unless he’s wide open. He falls in love with driving and leaving his feet at the basket, leading to some WILD layup attempts. Unfortunately it’s a problem we have to live with because after 5.5 years, he aint evolving his game 

He’s usually open when Malik is dribbling into triple teams.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

We hardly had any fouls at that point. We're not in any foul trouble. 

But again, it was player execution. The plan wasn't to foul 4 times. It was to foul once. 

Mgbako messed it up at first. Then Galloway's foul after half court was the one that was supposed to happen. 

Foul on ensuing inbounds wasn't a strategy, it was a player mistake. Same with the last one. 

The strategy was to foul at about 4-5 seconds to make them reset. 

Thank you.

• Like 1