Iowa Pre-Game Thread

IUFLA

2 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Unfortunately, probably not. At OSU is currently Quad 1 (#68), but may only be quad 2 by season end. OSU is slumping. Beating #58 IA, #61 NW and #62 NEB at home won't move the needle at this point. But they are all must wins, because a loss would be fatal. 

There are just too many bubble teams that have much better resumes. For example, #52 S Carolina is 6-2 in Quad 1&2. #56 Boise ST is 7-5. #53 Providence is 5-6. #63 Miami is 6-4. #74 Kansas St. is 5-6. #75 Seton Hall is 5-7. These teams will likely pick up some more Quad 1&2 wins during the rest of the season. 

IU is 2-8, 0-7 quad 1. Probably not enough quality wins left to pass so many other teams. There are four quad 1 opportunities remaining. There are 6 quad 2 games remaining. The 2018-19 team that missed the tournament had 6 quad 1 wins. The IU team that was the last at large team in 2021-22 finished at #38 in Kenpom. 

They just need to win as many as possible and see where things shake out. But they probably need to win at Purdue to get attention by the committee. 

Yeah, I agree. I let myself dream a bit on a rainy Sunday. I do think this is an important game for us to get back to winning. I want to show some signs of life to end the year so that the staff has more than PT and NIL to sell in the portal. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Unfortunately, probably not. At OSU is currently Quad 1 (#68), but may only be quad 2 by season end. OSU is slumping. Beating #58 IA, #61 NW and #62 NEB at home won't move the needle at this point. But they are all must wins, because a loss would be fatal. 

There are just too many bubble teams that have much better resumes. For example, #52 S Carolina is 6-2 in Quad 1&2. #56 Boise ST is 7-5. #53 Providence is 5-6. #63 Miami is 6-4. #74 Kansas St. is 5-6. #75 Seton Hall is 5-7. These teams will likely pick up some more Quad 1&2 wins during the rest of the season. 

IU is 2-8, 0-7 quad 1. Probably not enough quality wins left to pass so many other teams. There are four quad 1 opportunities remaining. There are 6 quad 2 games remaining. The 2018-19 team that missed the tournament had 6 quad 1 wins. The IU team that was the last at large team in 2021-22 finished at #38 in Kenpom. 

They just need to win as many as possible and see where things shake out. But they probably need to win at Purdue to get attention by the committee. 

wow.  that's rough because i don't think we win all of those in the first place.  if we do manage to win all of them, i sure hope it's enough!

11 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I still have nightmares about watching them bomb three after three on us at SSAH last year. From the stats @IUFLA posted, it doesn’t appear they are as potent from three this year which helps. I do share @5fouls concerns though about playing a high a scoring game. 

Whatever position you take on our prospects for the rest of this season, we would all agree this is an important game.  Let’s stop the bleeding with a win on Tuesday. 

I was at that game with my parents and my sister's fiancee that was his first IU game bad one to go see. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coach1K said:

I was at that game with my parents and my sister's fiancee that was his first IU game bad one to go see. 

I was there as well. I think I’m part of the problem. Was also at the Purdue RMK game. Think we’ve lost 4 of the 5 home games I’ve attended in the last five years. Will be at the Wiscy game this year, so anybody expecting a win may need to think twice. 😬

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I was there as well. I think I’m part of the problem. Was also at the Purdue RMK game. Think we’ve lost 4 of the 5 home games I’ve attended in the last five years. Will be at the Wiscy game this year, so anybody expecting a win may need to think twice. 😬

IMG_2688.gif.a358f00177b8ac12db46e59123248ea2.gif

try getting your tix now....

Edited by Dawg Bawls
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Cbp4IU said:

IU can’t be outscored from three by 21+. I think IU hits 3 3 pointers in the first half. IF IU keeps that 3 point made margin close they will win this game. Also start the same 5. 

If that's the case, I hope Walker can guard Freeman or Krikke in the post...We can't really double to help off their shooters...

Iowa has a lot of shot makers on the team. That will be the difference. Woody's game plan of 1 option is terrible...Get it inside and stand around and watch. Subbing goes from one extreme to another. Cupps is a non-factor. We win if we knock down 3's. There is no other way.

• Like 1

Already mentally prepared myself that we are not March Madness bound.

My hope/goal for the rest of the season is to see this team play every game like it’s do or die (because it is), find a way to finish 4th in conference, and have Mac end up at conference FOTY. 

53 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

Already mentally prepared myself that we are not March Madness bound.

My hope/goal for the rest of the season is to see this team play every game like it’s do or die (because it is), find a way to finish 4th in conference, and have Mac end up at conference FOTY. 

Barring injury, Owen Freeman at IA will be B1G FOY. He's been B1G Freshman of the week 7 of 11 times. Blackwell at WI 3 times and Mack once. 

Freeman was a 3 star, ranked #182. He did have an IU offer. 

Edited by 13th&Jackson

20 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

94 points unreal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoosierdave said:

Already mentally prepared myself that we are not March Madness bound  

This is where I am. We still have a chance, but it’s pretty slim. I’d rather accept this now and possibly be surprised than to expect to make it only to be disappointed. 

I really want to see is get a roll here over the last 1/3 of the season to build momentum for the portal. 

Right now, I just want to beat Iowa. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Parakeet Jones said:

This is where I am. We still have a chance, but it’s pretty slim. I’d rather accept this now and possibly be surprised than to expect to make it only to be disappointed. 

I really want to see is get a roll here over the last 1/3 of the season to build momentum for the portal. 

Right now, I just want to beat Iowa. 

I think building momentum and putting some looks on tape for the portal is critical right now. 

• Like 3

I'm at a conference this week so not sure when/if I'll get to watch, but really eager to see/read about what changes this game. Between our historical performances against Iowa and how this season is playing out, I expect to see something new to our approach tonight. I mean we have to, right?

Any word on Ware?