What’s really going on at IU?

Someone please explain. We don’t recruit a shooter for seven years running now. We don’t fill a scholarship in the portal era? We hire a coach with no college experience? We have a coach that tells his players it’s ok to be good again?  Somebody ask Dolson what the frick is going on? I mean it’s program suicide. Why? 

• Like 1

Mcneeley is a start in terms of shooting...but for the love of God, we cannot have him in the "Miller Kopp stand in the corner role." Mcneeley is a very gifted player and needs to be used as such. He's not Miller Kopp, he's much more talented. Again, this is just a start, but we need many more shooters than Mcneeley.

If Woodson is granted another year, then he HAS to make serious changes for next year, both schematically and personnel wise. My main worry is he's old school and he won't change his ways, even if it means going down with the ship. Simply put, he HAS to change. My gut does tell me that he makes a change to his Staff, specifically his Assistants. I don't think he has a choice, I would be surprised if there isn't a change to one of them. 

Regarding personnel, I would build off Mgbako/Reneau and Cupps. If Sparks is willing to be 12th man, the it's OK to retain him as well. I'm indifferent on Galloway. However, if he starts again next year then that just means our perimeter play isn't very strong...so for the sake of the team, I'm hoping he comes off the bench...other than that, I wouldn't be hurt if he isn't back next year. More often than not, his three point shot is just like a turnover - it's a missed opportunity to score points. Despite some worry from other board members, I don't think Mgbako or Reneau transfer. Woodson has to hit the transfer portal hard with regard to perimeter play. He is going to have to really sell these recruits because his system isn't guard oriented. 

This season was lost during the summer. Everyone knew what was needed and it wasn't addressed. This off-season will prove to be even more pivotal. Significant changes have to be made both schematically and personnel wise.

• Like 1

So is positive energy. So go post something positive and quit the nonstop whining..

This crap is why I am done.

Wlnobody let's positive or negative vbes permeate. We let people post their views.

So post an opposing view and move the heck on.

It's not hard. 

I am out of here people. It's been a great many years. But a handful around here just make it not worth it anymore.

Too many self indulging nonsense that has nothing to donwith sports 

Good luck guys, It's been a great great run. It's done for me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

So is positive energy. So go post something positive and quit the nonstop whining..

This crap is why I am done.

Wlnobody let's positive or negative vbes permeate. We let people post their views.

So post an opposing view and move the heck on.

It's not hard. 

I am out of here people. It's been a great many years. But a handful around here just make it not worth it anymore.

Too many self indulging nonsense that has nothing to donwith sports 

Good luck guys, It's been a great great run. It's done for me.

Yet when someone is called poisonous, no response.

When the coach is called sleepy, Droopy… nothing to do with basketball… no response.

Or when his age is called into question… definitely an ageism issue. No response.

I think all that some people are asking for is that the board is moderated fairly both ways 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Boxergracie said:

String of terrible hires, Woodson needs to step aside, he is simply not a college coach and has no strategic philosophy.  This roster has too much talent for this fiasco of a season, Saturday was inexcusable. In the NIL era, this season is a joke.

The Archie Miller hire was so bad that it set us back about 10 years. I think Dolson probably gets one more chance to get it right.

If he doesn't, it's time to bring in someone from the outside to be the AD. I don't think Indiana has a Jack Swarbrick to come and save the day.

The Indiana way isn't working. 

15 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Yet when someone is called poisonous, no response.

When the coach is called sleepy, Droopy… nothing to do with basketball… no response.

Or when his age is called into question… definitely an ageism issue. No response.

I think all that some people are asking for is that the board is moderated fairly both ways 

You’re complaining about people taking shots at Woodson? That’s not where the issue lies. The issue lies in how you speak to other posters and complain about certain topics bc you don’t like the tone. Regardless of your or my opinions, I shouldn’t be disrespectful to YOU, nothing to do with Woodson, and you shouldn’t be disrespectful to me. No idea who called CMW sleepy, or Droppy but that’s not directed at you. It’s easy to understand why somebody would have those takes, seeing he has ZERO energy on the bench. But that’s not the point anyway. It’s between poster and poster. If you don’t like a statement or opinion, ignore it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

The Revenge of the Nerds has been taking place inside the ivory tower for 25 years now.  That's what is going on.  Until the administration is run out of Indiana and replaced with a competent one nothing will improve.

Pretty sure we got the right president in place now.  Dolson has one more swing before he's out.  

But yeah, we literally had a goofy kangaroo running/ruining the place.

Edited by NotIThatLives

13 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Pretty sure we got the right president in place now.  Dolson has one more swing before he's out.  

But yeah, we literally had a goofy kangaroo running/ruining the place.

Disagree.  She nuked any possibility of Fitzgerald being hired.  They are still concerned about having some squeaky clean image while the rest of the country laughs at us.

14 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Disagree.  She nuked any possibility of Fitzgerald being hired.  They are still concerned about having some squeaky clean image while the rest of the country laughs at us.

Who's he coaching for?  Who picked him up?  Lazy take.  Trying to take a pop shot. 24 others passed.  https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/college-football-coaching-carousel-tracker-grades-analysis-on-coach-changes-2023-24-firings-and-hirings/

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I think we got a very good football coach and might be better than Fitzgerald. Also Fitzgerald overall record isn't that great and had a lot of really bad seasons

• Like 2

To answer the OP's main question(s), I believe there is way too much emphasis on IU's tradition and RMK's influence. (And let me be clear, I'm a fan and appreciate both!)

But for IU to get to where it wants to be, it has got to stop looking in the rear view mirror. It has got to stop being so deferential to the Ghosts of Program's Past and forge forward with a bold, new perspective. I believe there are way too many fans and people associated with the program that desperately want a feel-good narrative that has previous connections to the past, either through in-state affiliations or associations with the team from years ago.

The differentiation in my mind is this: a leader of the program shouldn't chase tradition, it should chase excellence. What McCracken and Knight built was a high level of excellence, and created and empowered amazing traditions along the way. I feel for way too long, we've witnessed the focus on the opposite.

Take Alabama football for a minute. Kalen DeBoer was brought in to replace Nick Saban (and hopefully attain his successes), but not to be Nick Saban. DeBoer has been brought it because of who he is and what he wants to do; he's been given the platform to be himself and lead in the ways that fits his objectives. The minute he has to be like Bear Bryant and Saban in their style (ie tradition) is the moment he's doomed. His only metric is excellence.

And that should be the only one for IU as well.

• Like 6

On 2/5/2024 at 2:58 PM, MoyeCowbell said:

To answer the OP's main question(s), I believe there is way too much emphasis on IU's tradition and RMK's influence. (And let me be clear, I'm a fan and appreciate both!)

But for IU to get to where it wants to be, it has got to stop looking in the rear view mirror. It has got to stop being so deferential to the Ghosts of Program's Past and forge forward with a bold, new perspective. I believe there are way too many fans and people associated with the program that desperately want a feel-good narrative that has previous connections to the past, either through in-state affiliations or associations with the team from years ago.

The differentiation in my mind is this: a leader of the program shouldn't chase tradition, it should chase excellence. What McCracken and Knight built was a high level of excellence, and created and empowered amazing traditions along the way. I feel for way too long, we've witnessed the focus on the opposite.

Take Alabama football for a minute. Kalen DeBoer was brought in to replace Nick Saban (and hopefully attain his successes), but not to be Nick Saban. DeBoer has been brought it because of who he is and what he wants to do; he's been given the platform to be himself and lead in the ways that fits his objectives. The minute he has to be like Bear Bryant and Saban in their style (ie tradition) is the moment he's doomed. His only metric is excellence.

And that should be the only one for IU as well.

I couldn’t agree more. I don’t care if they have IU ties or not. I just know there are certain coaches that would make IU a perineal power again. With little or no effort recruiting. Even with the NIL money and the portal in play. IU is basketball! Hire the right coach and we’re back on top! It’s that simple. To the Admin. Just get the hell out of the way.

• Like 1