Purdue II Pre-Game Thread

IUFLA

14 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

When: Saturday, February 10th 8:00 PM EST

Where: Mackey Arena, West Lafayette, Indiana

TV: Fox

Matt Painter (19th year 434-200) pits his 2nd ranked Boilermakers (21-2 10-2 in Big 10 play) against our Hoosiers in "The Moose Lodge of College Basketball" (© @13th&Jackson) Mackey Arena. Purdue comes in on a 7 game win streak.

Schedule and results since our game on January 16th...

image.png.ebaaa4374864a680c520c18fa51371ec.png

image.png.f9f5de669cc5e7683f70dc6d50cae999.png

image.png.e326c23f03bb25add53fd2f7f3de3544.png

image.png.9aa030613df162835722a601d89ef214.png

The Boilers are, of course, led by PoY candidate Zach Edey. Edey is averaging 24 ppg in his last 5, and is practically unstoppable when he gets it near the bucket. Edey had 33 against IU in the first meeting with IU, while holding Kel'el Ware and Malik Reneau to a combined 13 points. 5th year senior transfer (SIU) Lance Jones has lit it up for 18 ppg in his last 5 shooting 17-38 (44%) over that stretch. Sophomores Braden Smith (12 ppg 7 apg) and Fletcher Loyer (11 ppg) both shoot over 42% from 3 and join Jones in Purdue's 3 guard lineup. Redshirt sophomore Trey Kaufman-Renn (6 ppg 4 rpg) rounds out the starting 5. 

Freshman Cam Heide, Junior Caleb Furst, Senior Mason Gillis, and Senior Ethan Morton all see double digit minutes off the bench. 

The last loss Purdue suffered at Mackey, was on February 25th of 2023...Can't remember the team :) 

Purdue is 5th nationally in ORtg and and 83rd in DRtg, They are currently #2 in KenPom rating behind only Houston.

We have our work cut out for us. Kel'el has to do his work early on Edey and push him away from the basket, or it'll be a long night. On offense, hopefully we can get good guard play from our seniors again, and we can hang in there...Tall order, but you can't win if you don't play...

GO HOOSIERS!

My wife has us going to a pre-Valentine’s/Mardi Gras party of all things on Saturday night, so I’ll have to watch the tape….I hope I’m pleasantly surprised.

Edited by Hoosier4Life53

Hoping for the best. It will take a big effort inside on D and on the boards. Having a hard time seeing how Ware and Malik stay out of foul trouble.

If the guards can play at a high level and deny the entry passes, they may have a chance. Not something we've seen often enough.

Guarding the three - let's see how the defensive average plays out in this one.

So anybody that considers themselves a leader on the team has to be pointing out that the goal right now is to get in the tournament and see if we can go on a run.  You still technically have a chance and going on the road and beating Purdue should go a long way towards keeping hope alive.

It is a tall order but somebody has to do what Galloway did at Ohio State and kind of say, "This is for us, let's pay these a$$holes back for last month."

• Like 4

1 minute ago, IUCrazy2 said:

So anybody that considers themselves a leader on the team has to be pointing out that the goal right now is to get in the tournament and see if we can go on a run.  You still technically have a chance and going on the road and beating Purdue should go a long way towards keeping hope alive.

It is a tall order but somebody has to do what Galloway did at Ohio State and kind of say, "This is for us, let's pay these a$$holes back for last month."

I think at this point Galloway is the only one that can fill that role... With Leal as his Robin... 

• Like 3