Nebraska II Pre-Game Thread

IUFLA

When: Wednesday, February 21th 8:30 PM EST

Where: Simon-Skjotd Assembly Hall, Bloomington, Indiana

TV: BTN

Fred Hoiberg (58-91 overall at Nebraska) brings his 18-8 (8-7 in Big 10 play) into SSAH to face our Hoosiers. The Huskers are 0-7 on the road in the Big 10, but are currently riding a 2 game winning streak. 

image.png.4b47fedc3c2dca4dd43242ab074c7b56.png

image.png.948a9fc312bc748f3c38b45888f4853d.png

image.png.6bafc61b0f55faf58fb5cc5a65b796ad.png

image.png.ae539a6477a9bd9221eae6e079acc56e.png

The Huskers are led by 6'2 senior guard Keisei Tominaga who is not only a deadly 3 point shooter (39% in conference play) but has a good dribble drive game and shoots over 50% from 2. 6'9 junior transfer (Bradley) mans the 5 spot and is a steady presence on offense, and leads the team in rebounding (8 rpg) and assists (3 apg). 6'7 junior transfer (Charlotte) Brice Williams (13 ppg 38% from 3) and 6'8 high motor senior transfer (Kansas City, New Mexico) Josiah Allick (5 rpg) join Mast in the frontcourt, while 6'6 junior transfer (Alabama) Juwan Gary (12 ppg) is Tominaga's running mate.

6'3 sophomore Jamarques Lawrence and 6'0 sophomore Sam Hoiberg provide minutes off the bench, but the real weapon is 6'5 junior guard CJ Wilcher who is probably the leading candidate for Big 10 6th Man of the Year. Wilcher is a high volume 3 point shooter who's hitting a whopping 47% from 3 in conference play. 

Tominaga is pretty consistent in his home/road splits from 3, but both Williams and Wilcher are better at home.

This team is last in the conference in 2 point FGs attempted and made, and middle of the pack defensively from 2, but leads the league in both 3 point attempts and makes, while checking in at 4th in the conference percentage wise.

Tominaga went for 28 in our loss at Lincoln just after the New Year. Wilcher and Williams also score in double figures. Our frontcourt was able to score on the (Ware 20 and Reneau 14) and we won the rebounding battle, but we turned it over 19 times and our guard play was poor in our 86-70 loss. 

Another tough Big 10 game, but we have to buckle down, defend the perimeter, and take advantage of our inside strength if we want to win this one.

GO HOOSIERS!

Edited by IUFLA
  • Thanks 3

This is a game we could win.  But, just 6 weeks ago they beat us by 16 pts.  We lost despite making 47% FGs and made 9-18  3-pt shots.  Super senior X played 15 minutes, scored 0, had 3 assists and  4 turnovers.  Our starting 5 totaled 15 TOs.  Team total TOs was 19.   On the other hand, NB had 8 TOs and made 13 more FTs than us.  Ware contributed a lot of pts and RBs, but had 4 TOs, too.    Bottom line, our fundamentals were horrible.  NB, on the other hand, has less talent and beat us by limiting its mistakes and making FTs.  We'll see in this game whether our staff has 'taught' the starters to play smart and make FTs.  Go Hoosiers.

1 hour ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

agreed, but they are by all accounts a better team than Nebraska.  not saying we will win, but i feel like this is one of those games where we could win by 20

We haven’t won a game by 20 all year, even against the early season cupcakes. This is probably our best shot at a win the rest of the way, but we’re probably still going to be underdogs.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'll bring up a point here too that I did in the NW postgame thread.  Woody said Malik was awful yesterday, then don't start him this game.  Send a message to him that he needs to be better than that.  Don't worry about not starting the usual five, that isn't working well most of the time anyway.  Heck, I think we are better when one of Ware and Malik is out anyway. Woods was brought in large part to bring us back to the days of RMK.  He needs to do what RMK would have done, sit him and send a message.  If he doesn't, I don't want to hear about how awful he was again.  

• Like 4

The rest of the B1G field just exited turn 4 and is on the home stretch and IU just exited the first turn. JMW (Jockey Mike Woodson) cuts loose of the reins and IU pulls out the league Tourney championship by a nose. Book it. You heard it here first.  

Edited by Joe_Hoopsier
  • Haha 6

2 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

The rest of the B1G field just exited turn 4 and is on the home stretch and IU just exited the first turn. JMW (Jockey Mike Woodson) cuts loose of the reins and I pulls out the league Tourney championship by a nose. Book it. You heard it here first.  

Well, we'll see I guess... Always a chance...

I'd definitely like the kids to put something together in the next few games... Better late than never... 

Boys and Girls. We only have a handful of games left to enjoy this year, before we have the most talented, depth at every position successful off season team since 1976, again. I love our undefeated off season record and look forward to it, but these last few in season games build for next year and we better enjoy while we can.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

39 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Boys and Girls. We only have a handful of games left to enjoy this year, before we have the most talented, depth at every position successful off season team since 1976, again. I love our undefeated off season record and look forward to it, but these last few in season games build for next year and we better enjoy while we can.

We had an opportunity with 8 days off to switch to small ball, platoon Reneau and Ware and move Mgbako to the 4. We didn't do it as a game plan, but by default it worked great in the last 6 minutes when Malik fouled out. We should go to that the rest of the season and see what happens. Put Gunn at the 3 and find out if he can play or move on. We won't lose any more than we will playing the way we have all year. We may go on a run and it would give the coaching staff something to sell to transfers. I don't expect it to happen. 

Edited by 13th&Jackson
  • Like 5

NEB -1.   Favored at AH despite being 0-7 on the road in B1G play. They've been competitive on the road in two games, IL and Rutgers. The others were all double digit losses, including by 22 at MD and 18 at IA. 

IU being a home dog in this game won't be favored again this season. 

Edited by 13th&Jackson

10 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

NEB -1.   Favored at AH despite being 0-7 on the road in B1G play. They've been competitive on the road in two games, IL and Rutgers. The others were all double digit losses, including by 22 at MD and 18 at IA. 

IU being a home dog in this game won't be favored again this season. 

wow.  that's rough