Penn State II Pre-Game Thread

IUFLA

When: Saturday, February 24th 12:00 PM EST

Where: Bryce Jordan Center, University Park, Pa

TV: BTN

Our Hoosiers roll into University Park looking to avenge a home loss earlier this month to the Nittany Lions. First year coach Mike Rhoades has PSU at 13-14 overall, and 7-9 in conference play. The Lions are coming off of a thrilling last minute victory over Illinois in their former venue, The Rec Hall.

image.png.aa41b1bd48853f73eecf5cb28a1d0200.png

image.png.81b7070e236ef19a81bf5cbcc68d73fc.png

image.png.0cf68e6013c0dacd12435b9f97c1777e.png

As we all know, leading scorer Kanye Clary was dismissed from the team last week. Ace Baldwin :) the 6'0 senior transfer that followed Rhodes from VCU now leads the way. Fellow senior transfer (Georgetown) Qudus Wahab mans the 5 spot, while junior transfers Nick Kern (also followed Rhodes from VCU) Zach Hicks (Temple) and D'Marco Dunn (North Carolina) round out the starting 5. 

In our last game, Baldwin, Hicks, Dunn, and Wahab all scored in double figures, but 6'4 sophomore Jameel Brown's 14 points off the bench on 4-5 from 3 was the dagger...Senior transfers Puff Johnson (North Carolina), Leo O'Boyle (Lafayette), and 6'10 sophomore Demetrius Lilley also saw minutes in that game. In the last couple of games, Rhodes has also used 6'11 sophomore transfer (Miami) Favour AIre (pronounced Eye Ray), and 6'5 senior transfer (Kansas City) Rayquandis Mitchell, who had a couple of big buckets against Illinois.

Always tough on the road in the Big 10, as Purdue found out against Ohio State. This will be no different. We're going to have to play at our best to be in it. I know right now, our confidence is at a low point, but hopefully we can get off to a good start and compete. Our defense needs to be much better than it was in the first game, and we once again have to win the rebounding battle...Let's get back on the winning track here...

GO HOOSIERS!

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 6

Go Hoosiers.  Here is a snippet of practice leading up to PS game:   CoachMW:   "Which one of you asst coaches has prepared this week's game plan".  Asst Cch: "I did.  I think we should concentrate on limiting Ace Baldwin's open shots.  At AH this year, he played 40 minutes, scored 22 pts, hit 60% of 3's, 50+% of FG's and 75% Fts.  Plus he had 8 assists."  CMW says: "l see.  Good work.  How big is he?"   Asst Cch:  "Ace is listed at 6'1" and 190 pounds."   CMW:  "Interesting.  Reminds me of that Lil guy,  Kookimonga, for Nebraska.  Lil guys like that are usually not athletic, anyway.  So I want us to sag off him, so we can clog the lane and win in the paint. Same as we did our last home game."  

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Coach1K said:

Odd that they let Clary go with no explanation for why.

Word around the campfire was he was skipping classes because he'd lost his starting role...

Two small ball dominant guards wasn't working...

13 hours ago, IUFLA said:

When: Saturday, February 24th 12:00 PM EST

Where: Bryce Jordan Center, University Park, Pa

TV: BTN

Our Hoosiers roll into University Park looking to avenge a home loss earlier this month to the Nittany Lions. First year coach Mike Rhoades has PSU at 13-14 overall, and 7-9 in conference play. The Lions are coming off of a thrilling last minute victory over Illinois in their former venue, The Rec Hall.

image.png.aa41b1bd48853f73eecf5cb28a1d0200.png

image.png.81b7070e236ef19a81bf5cbcc68d73fc.png

image.png.0cf68e6013c0dacd12435b9f97c1777e.png

As we all know, leading scorer Kanye Clary was dismissed from the team last week. Ace Baldwin :) the 6'0 senior transfer that followed Rhodes from VCU now leads the way. Fellow senior transfer (Georgetown) Qudus Wahab mans the 5 spot, while junior transfers Nick Kern (also followed Rhodes from VCU) Zach Hicks (Temple) and D'Marco Dunn (North Carolina) round out the starting 5. 

In our last game, Baldwin, Hicks, Dunn, and Wahab all scored in double figures, but 6'4 sophomore Jameel Brown's 14 points off the bench on 4-5 from 3 was the dagger...Senior transfers Puff Johnson (North Carolina), Leo O'Boyle (Lafayette), and 6'10 sophomore Demetrius Lilley also saw minutes in that game. In the last couple of games, Rhodes has also used 6'11 sophomore transfer (Miami) Favour AIre (pronounced Eye Ray), and 6'5 senior transfer (Kansas City) Rayquandis Mitchell, who had a couple of big buckets against Illinois.

Always tough on the road in the Big 10, as Purdue found out against Ohio State. This will be no different. We're going to have to play at our best to be in it. I know right now, our confidence is at a low point, but hopefully we can get off to a good start and compete. Our defense needs to be much better than it was in the first game, and we once again have to win the rebounding battle...Let's get back on the winning track here...

GO HOOSIERS!

I really do look forward to these posts from you @IUFLA  Informative and helpful.  Keep up the good work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I’ll be “shocked” with a win. Just don’t see it. But Woodson knows more than we do, so I’m sure we’re wrong. 

You're not wrong.  The man does most likely know more about basketball than the whole of this forum combined.  Does that mean it translate to coaching.  I think the Jury might still be out on that one.

• Like 1

Just now, IowaHoosierFan said:

You're not wrong.  The man does most likely know more about basketball than the whole of this forum combined.  Does that mean it translate to coaching.  I think the Jury might still be out on that one.

Yes, the man should know more than us (not disputing that), but it’s not translating. We see the same mistakes over, and over, and over, and over again with no adjustments or accountability. 

This is still a thing? Ok. 

Copy and paste. Nothing we've seen to this point suggests they can win this game. I hope they do, but it's more wishful thinking than anything substantive.

It's self-evident they've quit on the season. Worse offense and defense now than when they started. Even if you cant score you should be able to defend and rebound. But that requires a willingness to work hard and fight. It's desire. Not seeing any of that from this team.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

It's the only game of the year that I won't be able to watch, so I'm sure it will be a win. 

I truly hope it is. Contrary to some beliefs, I’m not rooting for failure. Shit, I’m driving two and a half hours on Tuesday night to go to the game. 🥴 Certainly not going to root for a loss. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I truly hope it is. Contrary to some beliefs, I’m not rooting for failure. Shit, I’m driving two and a half hours on Tuesday night to go to the game. 🥴 Certainly not going to root for a loss. 

Agreed, I really do wish it would just all click starting the next game and continue through the rest of the year.  I would like to see us shooting 80% free throws.  Turning the ball over less and both offensive and defensive efficiencies jump in to the top 25 over the next 6 years. (over that span of 6 games, not for the whole season, even god couldn't change these number at this point).  I would love to win out and make a run in the BTT and show we learned something.  Adjusted,  Got better and have something to look forward to for next season.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Agreed, I really do wish it would just all click starting the next game and continue through the rest of the year.  I would like to see us shooting 80% free throws.  Turning the ball over less and both offensive and defensive efficiencies jump in to the top 25 over the next 6 years. (over that span of 6 games, not for the whole season, even god couldn't change these number at this point).  I would love to win out and make a run in the BTT and show we learned something.  Adjusted,  Got better and have something to look forward to for next season.

Now that's some real good 💩 right there!  Please pass the bong!

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, FWIUFan said:

Now that's some real good 💩 right there!  Please pass the bong!

never said it was happening.  Just something i wish would happen.  I also wish Salma Hayek would DM me and i would win the lottery.  I have big dreams.

Edited by IowaHoosierFan
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, southsidehoosier said:

Penn St should keep playing their games at the Rec Hall. Better looking atmosphere than the cavern of BJC

It looked like a great atmosphere...The family of Bryce Jordan probably wouldn't like it, but I'm sure Mr Hall (whoever he is ;) ) would 

29 minutes ago, southsidehoosier said:

Penn St should keep playing their games at the Rec Hall. Better looking atmosphere than the cavern of BJC

The Rec Hall seats 6,500 and it looked packed and loud. The Bryce Jordan Center seats more than 15,000 and is usually more than half empty. 

This is something that won't go unnoticed across college athletic departments regarding Baylor's new 7,000 seat arena (their old one had capacity >10,000). Baylor has a successful program, too. 

"Just as McLane Stadium’s downsizing compared to Floyd Casey Stadium has helped give Baylor football a better home-field advantage, the Foster Pavilion’s size — 7,000 seats — and design will help ensure the new facility is packed with Baylor fans night in and night out."

I think this game will be close… IU is just due to have a game where everything goes right. Will they win?… Probably not but I feel like IU is just due to have something positive happen . Then again this could be 12+ at half time and they lose by 21.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

He knows about basketball but he doesn't know enough about the college game

16 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

It's the only game of the year that I won't be able to watch, so I'm sure it will be a win. 

not watching either. i hope they win as always but i just cant stomach this team any longer.

• Like 1