Minnesota Post Game Thread

KDB

13 minutes ago, Indykev said:

I hope he comes back to, be there are a lot of trainers around the NBA that can get 20 lbs on him.

Agreed but if he can get 2-3M from NIL a top 5 draft pick makes 4x what a mid upper half 1st rounder. Grab an insurance policy and come along for the ride. If it works he goes from $4M a year for 4 years to $16M a year

• Thanks 1

Great to get the road win at The Barn. Truly one of the strangest games I’ve watched. If they hadn’t kept posting the assist stats, I wouldn’t have had any idea from watching the game. You’d expect with 28 assists, it would have been a really smooth, beautiful offensive game, but it never really looked like that. Ware and Mgbako were so good at finishing, it really added to the assist totals.

There were so many bad decisions and bad passes you’d never expect in a 28 assist game. Way too many forced passes in traffic. XJ was awful. He should have been pulled after the behind the back pass attempt. 

Ware and Mgbako were by far the best players on the court. They were so good, they offset the bizarre play from their teammates 

IUs defense was improved, but MN just lost their minds. They looked nothing like prior games. At IL, they made 14 threes, had 14 assists and 5 TOs. Last night, they just jacked up quick, off balance shots and threw cross-court passes. Felt bad for Fox. 

MSU looks awful. Keep it rolling. Real opportunity to grab the 6 seed, and do something in the BTT. 

• Like 2

A nice ho hum road win. Was right on the cusp of another Q1 win, but the result knocked them six spots back in the NET, and us six spots up. Everyone expected we'd be playing our best ball in March, we just started too low and took too long getting there. But on Torvik, we've been the 26th ranked team in the country over this three game streak. 4th in the Big Ten. Is it sustainable? Will it last? This is college so the safe answer is always no, but I'm going to enjoy each win I get.

9 hours ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Listening to Woodson’s post game. I don’t understand his infatuation with XJ. Am I watching a different player than he is?

I initially thought it was so he could maintain his "excuse" for this season's underperformance, but I've shifted to he really believes that if we had X all year we'd be a solid tournament team and he feels validated by the 3-0 record w/ X's return while disregarding X's performance/impact on the result.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, cybergates said:

I initially thought it was so he could maintain his "excuse" for this season's underperformance, but I've shifted to he really believes that if we had X all year we'd be a solid tournament team and he feels validated by the 3-0 record w/ X's return while disregarding X's performance/impact on the result.

The only other plausible explanation is that XJ is such a fragile, volatile personality, that Woodson has to prop him up because he's all he has. 

9 hours ago, Hoosier82 said:

Agreed but if he can get 2-3M from NIL a top 5 draft pick makes 4x what a mid upper half 1st rounder. Grab an insurance policy and come along for the ride. If it works he goes from $4M a year for 4 years to $16M a year

The problem is a lot of times they say you don’t typically jump in the draft when you’re a junior or senior but with that being said one more year of development with his skill set he might be the unicorn.

2 ends of the floor. XJ didn't have a good offensive game, but Elijah Hawkins, who was averaging 15 ppg in his last 4 only had 3 last night... And XJ was a big reason for that... 

Cupps isn't bad defensively, but he's not XJ... 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

2 ends of the floor. XJ didn't have a good offensive game, but Elijah Hawkins, who was averaging 15 ppg in his last 4 only had 3 last night... And XJ was a big reason for that... 

Cupps isn't bad defensively, but he's not XJ... 

X looks like he has his legs.  He was flying.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

The problem is a lot of times they say you don’t typically jump in the draft when you’re a junior or senior but with that being said one more year of development with his skill set he might be the unicorn.

There’s always a couple of upperclassmen guys who play their way into the draft. It is less common to materially improve status but that’s probably more to do with guys being insanely inpatient and unwilling to invest in another year.

I think Ware is unique in that he didn’t play much and didn’t play well when he was a freshman. As a sophomore he hasn’t shown he’s an “NBA level talent” when he’s played against capable centers with NBA potential. He played great last night against a couple of under sized post players but NBA scouts (if they’re worth TP they wipe their butts with) will see his performances against PU, OSU, Kansas, Auburn, etc., and see the leap he needs to make to be effective at the next level. I think his 2024 draft potential will rely more heavily on the teams in the mid-late first round’s needs. If the teams with picks 16-30 don’t have a pressing need for a center, there’s no guarantee they’ll sign up for the project. 

• Like 1

I like looking at the box scores...probably more than what I should. Maybe it's age or whatever but I honestly can't remember a 30 FG made night on 28 assists....especially the 28 assists. Someone has to know when we did that last but it had to be at least 3-4 Coaches ago.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I like looking at the box scores...probably more than what I should. Maybe it's age or whatever but I honestly can't remember a 30 FG made night on 28 assists....especially the 28 assists. Someone has to know when we did that last but it had to be at least 3-4 Coaches ago.

Gallo & Leal had 15 assists between them. Gallo has emerged as the "glue guy" for running the offense IMO.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DWB said:

Gallo & Leal had 15 assists between them. Gallo has emerged as the "glue guy" for running the offense IMO.

To me he’s truly the one who speeds things up but yet CMW constantly just talks about XJ coming back as reason for the uptick in tempo. I just don’t see it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Great to get the road win at The Barn. Truly one of the strangest games I’ve watched. If they hadn’t kept posting the assist stats, I wouldn’t have had any idea from watching the game. You’d expect with 28 assists, it would have been a really smooth, beautiful offensive game, but it never really looked like that. Ware and Mgbako were so good at finishing, it really added to the assist totals.

There were so many bad decisions and bad passes you’d never expect in a 28 assist game. Way too many forced passes in traffic. XJ was awful. He should have been pulled after the behind the back pass attempt. 

Ware and Mgbako were by far the best players on the court. They were so good, they offset the bizarre play from their teammates 

IUs defense was improved, but MN just lost their minds. They looked nothing like prior games. At IL, they made 14 threes, had 14 assists and 5 TOs. Last night, they just jacked up quick, off balance shots and threw cross-court passes. Felt bad for Fox. 

MSU looks awful. Keep it rolling. Real opportunity to grab the 6 seed, and do something in the BTT. 

And i really think that Dawson Garcia was playing with the flu, or something.  He looked lethargic,  and wasnt at all like his usual 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hoosier82 said:

There’s always a couple of upperclassmen guys who play their way into the draft. It is less common to materially improve status but that’s probably more to do with guys being insanely inpatient and unwilling to invest in another year.

I think Ware is unique in that he didn’t play much and didn’t play well when he was a freshman. As a sophomore he hasn’t shown he’s an “NBA level talent” when he’s played against capable centers with NBA potential. He played great last night against a couple of under sized post players but NBA scouts (if they’re worth TP they wipe their butts with) will see his performances against PU, OSU, Kansas, Auburn, etc., and see the leap he needs to make to be effective at the next level. I think his 2024 draft potential will rely more heavily on the teams in the mid-late first round’s needs. If the teams with picks 16-30 don’t have a pressing need for a center, there’s no guarantee they’ll sign up for the project. 

This does make we wonder we seem to have solid support for growth for big men.  We need that for the other spots.

2 hours ago, John S said:

And i really think that Dawson Garcia was playing with the flu, or something.  He looked lethargic,  and wasnt at all like his usual 

He did have 12 boards, but he struggles against size

Edited by 13th&Jackson
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Hoosier987 said:

2EE6BEDD-0848-406C-A8C8-9D0A7ECDFE14.jpeg

I was saying in the game thread how I like the line up with Ware as the only big. Below is a film session clip; the play at 1.30 was one I kept thinking about after the game. XJ was hard hedged - passes to who Ware flashed to the nail - and then Ware hit a cutting Walker on the baseline for a layup. Minny kept getting burned every time they hard hedged, and to my recollection, they were doing that when we were playing 3 guards and walker or MM were at the 4. Look how much it opens up the floor. 

The spacing was better overall on Wednesday, but it was even better when Malik was not on the floor. 

• Like 3