Myles Rice Commits to INDIANA!

7 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

That's not "manipulating".  That's a known weakness of any statistical sample: you can't build a model if there aren't enough data points. 

And I think most major conferences have better things to do than sit around and tweak their scheduling just to manipulate certain statistical metrics.  Getting a little bit into tin foil hat territory with that one. 

giphy.gif

• Haha 4

11 hours ago, dgambill said:

I think we’ve all seen how conferences can manipulate the analytics with their scheduling. I’ll leave it at that because I think Rice is a huge upgrade over XJ…this is a good first step.

At the end of the day, the metrics measure what they measure.  So, the way to improve your team's metrics is with on-the-court performance, no matter who you play.  That being said, if you know your strengths and weakness as a coach, there are ways to cater your schedule a little to improve your team's performance measures.  For instance, coaches who routinely blow out weak teams but often struggle against elite competition (e.g., Nate Oates, Bruce Pearl, Tommy Lloyd) should schedule more cupcakes, while coaches who find it difficult to get their team ready to play against weaker teams but excel against elite competition (e.g., Tom Izzo, Bill Self, John Calipari) should play more elite teams.

On 4/14/2024 at 7:36 AM, dgambill said:

Agreed. My biggest worry is his defense. PAC12 defense is like a 4 letter word.

He’s got quickness & length….but so did JI 

If Purdue were portal shopping he’d be high on my list 

Interested in how the offense will run with Rice at point. I appreciate what X brought in terms of toughness but his leadership ability and decision making were not consistent.

You never knew when X would lose focus. I won't miss the distracted sparring with the other team or the technical fouls. 

X will be added to a long list of "what ifs" at IU. What if he didn't have the injury woes? What if he could keep his composure? 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Artesian_86 said:

Could Myles potentially be better that JHS? I sure like the what he brings......

I really like Myles’ game. He can really get in the lane and create.  He is really savvy, knows how to change speeds to get defender on his hip.  

Carlyle seems to bring a different element in that he’s more electric but maybe not as savvy.  But let Rice control the ball and put Carlyle off it and they can potentially be lethal together.  

People would say we had talent last year.  Yet as a group we had subpar guards and that’s basically a proven fact.  You can’t have guards like that and then claim you’ve got talent.  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I really like Myles’ game. He can really get in the lane and create.  He is really savvy, knows how to change speeds to get defender on his hip.  

Carlyle seems to bring a different element in that he’s more electric but maybe not as savvy.  But let Rice control the ball and put Carlyle off it and they can potentially be lethal together.  

People would say we had talent last year.  Yet as a group we had subpar guards and that’s basically a proven fact.  You can’t have guards like that and then claim you’ve got talent.  

Factor in the overall inexperience, and it's easy to see why we struggled...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

The only thing people have to backup that claim is... "but but look at the stars on their recruiting profiles"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

The only thing people have to backup that claim is... "but but look at the stars on their recruiting profiles"

We now have plenty of talent on this team, at all spots.  Cupps and Galloway can come off the bench like they should have.  This is going to come down to coaching and execution.  Can the coaching staff get this team coached up and playing together and can the team execute what the staff wants them to do.

To many time over the last couple years we either haven't been coached well or the players weren't able to execute well enough to succeed.

I will be very disappointed if we're not SIGNIFICANTLY better with the talent we just added to this team.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

We now have plenty of talent on this team, at all spots.  Cupps and Galloway can come off the bench like they should have.  This is going to come down to coaching and execution.  Can the coaching staff get this team coached up and playing together and can the team execute what the staff wants them to do.

To many time over the last couple years we either haven't been coached well or the players weren't able to execute well enough to succeed.

I will be very disappointed if we're not SIGNIFICANTLY better with the talent we just added to this team.

I agree. 

12 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

There will be high expectations next year, and rightfully so. With the MM, MR and TG returning, and the influx of talent coming in, we should expect big things next year. Barring injuries, no excuses.

1 minute ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

There will be high expectations next year, and rightfully so. With the MM, MR and TG returning, and the influx of talent coming in, we should expect big things next year. Barring injuries, no excuses.

meh--- even then, I don't want to hear it. Fill every scholly, develop depth, grow players, etc etc. It would take a massive amount of injuries for me to care about those excuses. 

• Like 4