Preseason 2024-2025 predictions

8-9 wins depending on how the offense gels.  I do think we are on the smaller end defensively so maybe more of a bend but don't break.  We will need to score points.  

The only definite loss I see on the schedule is @OSU.

Edited by TiminNC
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, bronkonagurski said:

Probably fair but I'm definitely taking the over.

I'm with you. As an IU football fan, optimism is basically all we've had for years. Coach Cig has a proven track record of reversing the fortunes of historically struggling programs.

He now has another opportunity on a larger stage to show he can do it again. He has the coaches, players, and blueprint. Excited to see the results on the field. 

• Like 1

On 5/10/2024 at 4:44 PM, Reacher said:

lol at saying we got “decimated by the portal.” Calling Walters a poor hire is also hilarious. According to our 24/7, our portal haul was 29th overall.  Some pretty lazy “journalism” IMO. 

Edited by Stlboiler23

36 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Very interesting. 

The other coaches in the league knew Allen was dead in the water, not that it wasn't obvious to everyone, but interesting still. “They were really high on Connor Bazelak last season, and now’s he at Bowling Green. That tells you a lot about the state of the program.” The bullhorn comment was what everyone on the planet was thinking a couple of years in. 

I’m always the eternal optimist, but I think we will be really solid this coming year, and I think several of our opponents are in a place where we have a better chance than normal of winning.

I think somewhere between 6-9 wins is likely.

My official prediction is 8-4. Losses to Maryland, Nebraska, Michigan, Ohio State.  The rest of the games are very winnable. Here’s to hoping I’m right.

Win a bowl game, and we’ve finally got 9windiana.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Was in a Meijer store this weekend, saw a Lindy's preseason magazine on the shelf, opened it to see where they had Indiana ranked in the Big Ten, and was surprised to see them dead last (18th) in conference.  I didnt bother reading the full write-up at that point.

I realize it's just a preseason magazine, but just seeing it took away a lot of my optimism about the oaching change.   I wasnt expecting miracles, but I was looking forward to a team that would be enjoyable to watch.  I cant see myself enjoying the worst team in the conference.

So, is the Lindy's prediction a bunch if BS?  Or, are IU fans significantly overestimating what the new coaching staff can accomplish in Year 1?

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Was in a Meijer store this weekend, saw a Lindy's preseason magazine on the shelf, opened it to see where they had Indiana ranked in the Big Ten, and was surprised to see them dead last (18th) in conference.  I didnt bother reading the full write-up at that point.

I realize it's just a preseason magazine, but just seeing it took away a lot of my optimism about the oaching change.   I wasnt expecting miracles, but I was looking forward to a team that would be enjoyable to watch.  I cant see myself enjoying the worst team in the conference.

So, is the Lindy's prediction a bunch if BS?  Or, are IU fans significantly overestimating what the new coaching staff can accomplish in Year 1?

I think it could be a case where the author(s) believe it's easier (and ultimately better for their/Lindy's credibility) to rank IU low and take the "risk" of them over-performing, than proclaim the Hoosiers to be better and look silly if they don't reach those expectations. Coach Cignetti isn't unproven, but this configuration of the team is, so the burden is on them to flip the script and change external perceptions. With IU's less than favorable history, the burden will likely/always fall on the "prove it" side of the fence.

As for the enjoyment factor -- I'm not gonna tell you how to calibrate your metrics here -- there is/will be a lot of opportunity to play faster and more dynamic on the offensive side than what we saw during the CTA era. If nothing else, my enthusiasm and potential enjoyment is going to be exponentially higher simply because I know Coach Bell won't be here to call boneheaded and predictable plays! 

And if we end up sucking on the field, just remember that IU has never lost a tailgate.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, MoyeCowbell said:

I think it could be a case where the author(s) believe it's easier (and ultimately better for their/Lindy's credibility) to rank IU low and take the "risk" of them over-performing, than proclaim the Hoosiers to be better and look silly if they don't reach those expectations. Coach Cignetti isn't unproven, but this configuration of the team is, so the burden is on them to flip the script and change external perceptions. With IU's less than favorable history, the burden will likely/always fall on the "prove it" side of the fence.

As for the enjoyment factor -- I'm not gonna tell you how to calibrate your metrics here -- there is/will be a lot of opportunity to play faster and more dynamic on the offensive side than what we saw during the CTA era. If nothing else, my enthusiasm and potential enjoyment is going to be exponentially higher simply because I know Coach Bell won't be here to call boneheaded and predictable plays! 

And if we end up sucking on the field, just remember that IU has never lost a tailgate.

For decades, IU has had everything in place for an amazing tailgate experience except a competitive football team. Sadly, when I lived in IA, the Hawks game day experience was in another galaxy

4 hours ago, Reacher said:

Rutgers schedule is downright fraudulent. No way they only get the two worst top 25 teams in the conference, on accident. I don’t even know how you can rank Washington with a straight face after what they’ve lost. 

• Like 1

I like how the roster has come together.  The staff did a really good job building each position group.  

I like our chances for a bowl game if Rourke stays healthy.  I am not sure you can win at this level with any other QB on the roster.  The other guys have talent but there are so many things that go into winning play at the position.  If Rourke goes down, the staff will have their work cut out for them getting the rest of the roster to really help carry the backup and create success.