Dawson Garcia Commits to Marquette

CauseThatsMyDJ

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

Most of those people aren’t even fans..just 💩stirrers...happens every where and not just in sports....the recruitment turned into a bust...on to the next one

why was it a bust because we came in later in this recruitment and made a great impression.  Also it appears that the coaching staff did everything they could to seal the deal.  I know it looks bleak but he has not announced anything yet and these so called experts have been wrong before.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

why was it a bust because we came in later in this recruitment and made a great impression.  Also it appears that the coaching staff did everything they could to seal the deal.  I know it looks bleak but he has not announced anything yet and these so called experts have been wrong before.

I’m sure that CAM did do everything..and I’m glad we were in the race..but it doesn’t look like a commitment will be the end result..maybe bust was too harsh a word

7 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

I’m sure that CAM did do everything..and I’m glad we were in the race..but it doesn’t look like a commitment will be the end result..maybe bust was too harsh a word

Well you will have a lot of bust in recruitment because if you go after 20-25 kids you will usually only bring in 2-4 kids a year.

13 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

It's a bust if he pops for Marquette.

The staff put a in a bunch of effort on the kid, coming up second place is a bust.  "But this happens all the time in recruiting Crazy...you lose more than you win."  Yeah, you do.  The problem with this program is that we have sucked for the better part of the last decade and that did not improve much when we made a coaching change.  Yeah, yeah, there are possibly signs that things may be moving in the right direction but where we currently sit is a really bad place.  We will not have any idea with this year until early December where we really stand.

Anytime you put the time and effort into a kid like this and make it this far and he has connections to kids you have coming into the program and he pops for another school, that's a bust.

Good Lord, it's fine to be disappointed a recruit didn't select us. There's absolutely NO reason to question a decision that HE and/or HIS family are making. If he goes to MU, it was the better choice for him, in HIS opinion, not yours! Of course IU makes more sense to us, that's where WE want him to go! Arguing whether or not a 17 year old's decision (whom of which you have NEVER met in your life) should come here or go there is just plain stupid, and a complete waste of time. 

We could argue what's better...steak or chicken? 

Wish we could have had him, won't lose a wink of sleep over this, or any other future non-commit. Some of you need to follow suit.

If IU has sucked, how bad has Marquette been? Head to head, IU dusted Marquette last year and played them straight up in a secret scrimmage this year with all but one guard sitting out. Regardless of which school Garcia goes to next season, IU will most assuredly be better than Marquette. 

If, as expected, Garcia chooses Marquette, it's not because IU sucked. That's just your frustration speaking. 

5 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

CAM offered 12-14 kids for this class..he has 3..so that about a 4 to 1 ratio 

Bill Polian said as a general manager if you hit on about half of you draft picks you are doing a great job.  Also with those stats you gave how many of those 12-14 was he going real hard after.  Also when you only have a limited number of openings who can't take everyone.

3 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

CAM offered 12-14 kids for this class..he has 3..so that about a 4 to 1 ratio 

Jax according to 247 that list is:

Caleb Love (UNC)
Andre Curbelo (Illinois)
Hassan Diarra (Texas A&M)
Terrence Clarke (Kentucky)
Anthony Leal (Indiana)
Trey Galloway (Indiana)
Andre Jackson (Connecticut)
Ethan Morton (Purdue)
Matt Cross (Florida)
Jordan Geronimo (Indiana)
Isaiah Jackson (Kentucky)
Dawson Garcia (uncommitted)
Zach Loveday (Baylor)
Nimari Burnett (Texas Tech)
DJ Steward (Duke)
RJ Davis (UNC)

Does that seem right? That's 16. 

3 minutes ago, Coach Robby said:

Good Lord, it's fine to be disappointed a recruit didn't select us. There's absolutely NO reason to question a decision that HE and/or HIS family are making. If he goes to MU, it was the better choice for him, in HIS opinion, not yours! Of course IU makes more sense to us, that's where WE want him to go! Arguing whether or not a 17 year old's decision (whom of which you have NEVER met in your life) should come here or go there is just plain stupid, and a complete waste of time. 

We could argue what's better...steak or chicken? 

Wish we could have had him, won't lose a wink of sleep over this, or any other future non-commit. Some of you need to follow suit.

We need to worry about the kids who are on this team right now and root for them since the season is in full swing.  We also should worry about the kids who actually chose to come to IU in this class.

I will say this for Garcia. I would bet that the distance for his family to travel in order to attend games probably played a bigger factor than most people are thinking it did. Take Minnesota out because he wasn't going there and they were the closest real option. 

4 minutes ago, hoosiermd said:

Caleb Love (UNC)
Andre Curbelo (Illinois)
Anthony Leal (Indiana)
Trey Galloway (Indiana)
Ethan Morton (Purdue)
Matt Cross (Florida)
Zach Loveday (Baylor)
DJ Steward (Duke)
RJ Davis (UNC)

Not that this makes much of a difference but Clarke was supposed to be in the 21 class but he reclassified. 

3 minutes ago, hoosiermd said:

Caleb Love (UNC)
Andre Curbelo (Illinois)
Anthony Leal (Indiana)
Trey Galloway (Indiana)
Ethan Morton (Purdue)
Matt Cross (Florida)
Zach Loveday (Baylor)
DJ Steward (Duke)
RJ Davis (UNC)

I would say of those these are the ones we recruited hard was Diarra, Morton, Cross, Garcia so I would not say we missed out on all of those guys

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Bill Polian said as a general manager if you hit on about half of you draft picks you are doing a great job.  Also with those stats you gave how many of those 12-14 was he going real hard after.  Also when you only have a limited number of openings who can't take everyone.

Well I would think you start out going hard after any of them after you offer...then after time you kinda figure out who’s receptive and who’s not...your post made me think about and old quote Lefty Drissell (coach at Maryland)...he said “I like verbal commitments..it lets me know who my main competitor is for a recruit”..paraphrasing 

12 minutes ago, hoosiermd said:

Caleb Love (UNC)
Andre Curbelo (Illinois)
Anthony Leal (Indiana)
Trey Galloway (Indiana)
Ethan Morton (Purdue)
Matt Cross (Florida)
Zach Loveday (Baylor)
DJ Steward (Duke)
RJ Davis (UNC)

I would say that’s close..thanks

2 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

Well I would think you start out going hard after any of them after you offer...then after time you kinda figure out who’s receptive and who’s not...your post made me think about and old quote Lefty Drissell (coach at Maryland)...he said “I like verbal commitments..it lets me know who my main competitor is for a recruit”..paraphrasing 

Last night on the 30 for 30 about the class that saved coach K, coach K said his first two years they would just offer about 50 kids.  He said he would go for a lot of top players but would not get any of those players.  After that he decided to only offer a few and really work hard on those and it paid off with this class of Dawkins, Bilas, Alarie and Henderson.

24 minutes ago, hoosiermd said:

Caleb Love (UNC)
Andre Curbelo (Illinois)
Anthony Leal (Indiana)
Trey Galloway (Indiana)
Ethan Morton (Purdue)
Matt Cross (Florida)
Zach Loveday (Baylor)
DJ Steward (Duke)
RJ Davis (UNC)

That is correct. They also offered Carter Whitt who is a possible reclass and had interest in Javante Brown-Fergeson who is a likley reclass but I don't know if they offered. Things cooled on him when Garcia started becoming more possible. They could jump back in on him I suppose. Nevermind he committed to UCONN.

Archived