Dawson Garcia Commits to Marquette

CauseThatsMyDJ

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, hoosiermd said:

dude come on man. @dbmhoosier said "I think he's going there because he wants to be the man and doesn't care about winning."

That's not "me first"?

If a player comes into every visit and demands this from the coach and tells them they won't come unless this happens, then that is a me first player.  Just because a player chooses where he will get more playing time and the chance to be a more focal part of the team is not a me first player.

10 minutes ago, Wayward1 said:

Garcia has said in his interviews that the relationship with the coach is key. The kid likes Wojo and clearly trusts him. I really don't think he's comparing post season wins over the past five years as a factor.

“Coach Miller has made a really good impression. They’ve been coaching me throughout this entire recruiting process and they aren’t all just hyping me up. Tom (Ostrom) I’ve known him for a long time throughout the process and he’s been really good to me. They’ve all been really real, that stands out a lot.”

— Garcia on Indiana via Rivals

13 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Which of these coaches looks better?

27-9, NCAA 2nd Round
25-8, NCAA 1st Round
24-8, NCAA 1st Round
16-15
19-16, NIT Quarterfinals

5 year total: 111-56 (66%)

13-19
20-13
19-13, NCAA 1st Round
21-14, NIT Quarterfinal
24-10, NCAA 1st Round

5 year total: 97-69 (58%)

Image result for idk gif

From ITH

· On Indiana: “Coach Tom Ostrom, Archie, I have a great relationship with them, along with the rest of their staff. The fan base is insane and I felt super comfortable with the players and the players coming in next year. That is definitely a positive, as well.”

· On Marquette: “My relationship with the coaches is great. They have put in a lot of effort and time, as well as, whenever I went on my visit there, I really enjoyed the players. I could see myself doing some of the things that they were showing me and that they have done with players in the past. It was a really good visit.”

· On Memphis: “It is a great program with great coaches. Their skill development is through the roof along with the players there; they are really buying into what the coaches are saying. They are preparing them for the next step at a very high rate. Coach Penny and Coach Mike (Miller), they have both been there so they are just trying to help and give back.”

· On Minnesota: “I just think that it would be dope to wear the Minnesota across my chest and really rep for my state and having people rally around you. That has kind of been their pitch to me and I have a really good relationship with Coach (Richard) Pitino and Coach Kyle Lindsted is my guy. Their players, I have been growing up with them my whole life so I have a really good relationship with all of the players there.”

Just now, Hoosierhoopster said:

From ITH

· On Indiana: “Coach Tom Ostrom, Archie, I have a great relationship with them, along with the rest of their staff. The fan base is insane and I felt super comfortable with the players and the players coming in next year. That is definitely a positive, as well.”

· On Marquette: “My relationship with the coaches is great. They have put in a lot of effort and time, as well as, whenever I went on my visit there, I really enjoyed the players. I could see myself doing some of the things that they were showing me and that they have done with players in the past. It was a really good visit.”

· On Memphis: “It is a great program with great coaches. Their skill development is through the roof along with the players there; they are really buying into what the coaches are saying. They are preparing them for the next step at a very high rate. Coach Penny and Coach Mike (Miller), they have both been there so they are just trying to help and give back.”

· On Minnesota: “I just think that it would be dope to wear the Minnesota across my chest and really rep for my state and having people rally around you. That has kind of been their pitch to me and I have a really good relationship with Coach (Richard) Pitino and Coach Kyle Lindsted is my guy. Their players, I have been growing up with them my whole life so I have a really good relationship with all of the players there.”

FYI that's all taken from the Rivals interview posted on here yesterday.

Winning is certainly a component that will help us land future players. We can debate IU vs Marquette performance in the past 5-10 years but the fact is we have not made the tourney during Garcia’s (or all current recruits) high school career (ie a lifetime in their world..lol), we lost 12/13 last year, etc.  I’ve seen a couple of things recently, regarding recruiting, that have stuck with me.

The first is seeing Urban Myer on tv after a Michigan win (can’t remember if it was after they beat Wiscy or ND). What surprised me is how he went on and on about the momentum the win meant for recruiting, it was a huge win because talented kids would now want to go to the program etc. While listening to him I kept thinking...winning one game influences if someone is going to Michigan, really? He certainly knows better than me.

The second is seeing Jay Bilas, and other Duke players, on an ESPN show/long commercial, about the class that saved Coach K’s job. All the recruits said their friends told them they were crazy for going to a losing program. Many think Duke was nothing before K but they made the final four 4 times in the previous 20 years before their recruitment (ie much more success than our previous 20 years). That history, including a FF that was only 4 years before they enrolled, meant almost nothing compared to the fact that they were losing now. Point is....getting to the tourney would really be helpful this year and we have to keep in mind what current recruits frame of reference is when it comes to IU basketball.  We can quickly change that frame of reference with a good year.

2 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

Winning is certainly a component that will help us land future players. We can debate IU vs Marquette performance in the past 5-10 years but the fact is we have not made the tourney during Garcia’s high school career (ie a lifetime in his world..lol), we lost 12/13 last year, etc.  I’ve seen a couple of things recently, regarding recruiting, that have stuck with me.

The first is seeing Urban Myer on tv after a Michigan win (can’t remember if it was after they beat Wiscy or ND). What surprised me is how he went on and on about the momentum the win meant for recruiting, it was a huge win because talented kids would now want to go to the program etc. While listening to him I kept thinking...winning one game influences if someone is going to Michigan, really? He certainly knows better than me.

The second is seeing Jay Bilas, and other Duke players, on an ESPN show/long commercial, about the class that saved Coach K’s job. All the recruits said their friends told them they were crazy for going to a losing program. Many think Duke was nothing before K but they made the final four 4 times in the previous 20 years before their recruitment (ie much more success than our previous 20 years). That history, including a FF that was only 4 years before they enrolled, meant almost nothing compared to the fact that they were losing now. Point is....getting to the tourney would really be helpful this year and we have to keep in mind what current recruits frame of reference is when it comes to IU basketball.  We can quickly change that frame of reference with a good year.

Agree in part. 

Here, strength of program is not what is driving his decision, for all appearances. Relationships matter, the length of a recruitment matters/coaching staff's involvement matters, the recruit's perceived role and style matters, location can matter 

On Marquette: “My relationship with the coaches is great. They have put in a lot of effort and time, as well as, whenever I went on my visit there, I really enjoyed the players. I could see myself doing some of the things that they were showing me and that they have done with players in the past. It was a really good visit.”

What player has Wojo had in the past at Marquette that has been comparable to Dawson's size and skill set? I'm not seeing one.

I like Garcia's game a lot and disappointed we (apparently) didn't get him.  I think with his ball skills he and Trayce could have played off each other brilliantly.  But, we can all recognize people pick schools, jobs, cities, etc. based on what's right for them.  We may think Garcia is perfect for IU but it's a personal decision.  

I think there is almost zero shot that IU would not have featured him, though.  I don't buy the me first argument for Dawson.   

Also, Bilas was talking about his recruitment (many schools were after him) and stated that when he visited schools he enjoyed each trip and felt like committing at the end of EVERY visit he made.  I think Garcia did indeed enjoy his IU visit, likes the school/coaches/players and could see himself in Bloomington. Unfortunately it appears he also can see himself In Milwaukee.

2 minutes ago, hoosiermd said:

On Marquette: “My relationship with the coaches is great. They have put in a lot of effort and time, as well as, whenever I went on my visit there, I really enjoyed the players. I could see myself doing some of the things that they were showing me and that they have done with players in the past. It was a really good visit.”

What player has Wojo had in the past at Marquette that has been comparable to Dawson's size and skill set? I'm not seeing one.

Ellenson in the NBA is really the only one that comes to mind besides the Hausers. 

18 minutes ago, Wayward1 said:

I really don't think he's comparing post season wins over the past five years as a factor.

I don't think he is either.  The only reason I posted Wojo and Archie's last 5 seasons as a coach is to show how easy it is to point-counterpoint things like records to death. 

In the end, if his primary factor is based on his relationship with the coach, good for him.  It's something that nobody else can second guess, since it's purely subjective. 

2 minutes ago, hoosiermd said:

Henry Ellison is the only one a can think of

4 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Agree in part. 

Here, strength of program is not what is driving his decision, for all appearances. Relationships matter, the length of a recruitment matters/coaching staff's involvement matters, the recruit's perceived role and style matters, location can matter 

I agree. My bigger point, which was not clear, was in regards to recruiting in general rather than Garcia in particular.

2 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I think there is almost zero shot that IU would not have featured him, though.  I don't buy the me first argument for Dawson.   

Agree. 

Not to mention there's also the multiplying effect.  Zion Williamson eclipsed pretty much everyone in terms of media coverage.  I think that helped Reddish, Barrett and Jones vs hurting them.  He and Trayce could have played off of each other and boosted both of their levels of exposure.

For those who haven't been able to read or follow all of the posts on the previous 87 pages, I just wanted to create Cliff notes to get you caught up:

1.  DG is a very good BB player and seems to be of great character from a great family

2.  Indiana is historically a great program but no so much lately

3.  Marquette has had some success historically although probably not known to current recruits

4.  Recruits actually choose to attend programs that fit their needs whatever they may be

5.  Fans have trouble understanding  point  number 4.

6.  The sky did not fall today

7.  IU will win the BB game tonight

8.  The sun will rise in the morning

Points 1 -8 will repeat themselves in the future so long as CAM recruits players. Only the names will change to protect the innocent!

NEXT TOPIC PLEASE!

2 minutes ago, FWIUFan said:

For those who haven't been able to read or follow all of the posts on the previous 87 pages, I just wanted to create Cliff notes to get you caught up:

1.  DG is a very good BB player and seems to be of great character from a great family

2.  Indiana is historically a great program but no so much lately

3.  Marquette has had some success historically although probably not known to current recruits

4.  Recruits actually choose to attend programs that fit their needs whatever they may be

5.  Fans have trouble understanding  point  number 4.

6.  The sky did not fall today

7.  IU will win the BB game tonight

8.  The sun will rise in the morning

Points 1 -8 will repeat themselves in the future so long as CAM recruits players. Only the names will change to protect the innocent!

NEXT TOPIC PLEASE!

Really like #7!!

Archived