2019 MLB Discussion

rico

9 hours ago, rico said:

So far I think Reds fans outnumber the other fan bases that post in this thread.  We just like to talk baseball.  Don't be a stranger.

It's early. Once mid May hits and Reds season is over the usual suspects (fanbases) will show up. I don't have the energy for some of the Cubs nonsense yet. After watching this past IU season I had to hit reset on sports a bit. 

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

It's early. Once mid May hits and Reds season is over the usual suspects (fanbases) will show up. I don't have the energy for some of the Cubs nonsense yet. After watching this past IU season I had to hit reset on sports a bit. 

It would be nice to make it to mid May.....

5 minutes ago, rico said:

It would be nice to make it to mid May.....

No guarantees on this season but if the front office continues to make moves like they did this past year....much better times ahead. Problem is with exception of AL East you have the best division in baseball. Reds could be playing much better baseball and still only get 77-80 wins.

10 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

No guarantees on this season but if the front office continues to make moves like they did this past year....much better times ahead. Problem is with exception of AL East you have the best division in baseball. Reds could be playing much better baseball and still only get 77-80 wins.

I will be happy if the white sox win 75 games this year.  I might even use capitol letters for them if they do.

3 minutes ago, PoHoosier said:

I will be happy if the white sox win 75 games this year.  I might even use capitol letters for them if they do.

Interesting rebuild. Weaker division but still not completely sold on White Sox talent yet. Still early anyway. My 2 friends who are White Sox fans just want to be in a position by the end of next year where September is meaningful...or at least a hint of wild card chase.

18 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

There's a coincidence. Those are the last two MLB stadiums I've been to as well (kind of). Was at an event at Texas Live in February, but got a first hand look at the new stadium under construction. And my office is 2 blocks from GABP; was at a game there last Thursday.

Actually GAPB and Yankee stadium are my last 2. Was in NYC 2 summers ago. 

Yeh. I'm looking at stubhub for a Cardinals game in Arlington in May.  I haven't been back to Dallas for a gamefor 3-4 years but gotta go see the ballpark before it closes.  I had season tix the first year of the stadium and feel it is a waste of money to replace it so soon.  It is still a great place.   Dallas seems to have no sense of culture. Hopefully, i find a way to get tix to final game but doubtful.    I still have the the ticket stub framed to opening day in Year 1. I guess next year when the new stadium opens, I'll have attended in all 3 stadiums in Arlington.  Already have that under my belt in cincy having attended an Expos Reds game in Crosley. 

42 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

The Joey Votto stat (which has won me multiple trivia contests over his career) has ended. He officially popped out to 1B for first time in 6829 plate appearances yesterday. Darn you Joey!

And with that go his chances for the HoF!!!!!!  LOL

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

The Joey Votto stat (which has won me multiple trivia contests over his career) has ended. He officially popped out to 1B for first time in 6829 plate appearances yesterday. Darn you Joey!

And who says 32.856% of all statistics are meaningless?

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I disagree.  As you age, your game changes unless you 'roid up like Bonds.

It just seems he cares more about walking and his OBP than driving in runs.  He always just chokes up and try to get a single or walk and with runners on base he needs to worry about driving in those runs.

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It just seems he cares more about walking and his OBP than driving in runs.  He always just chokes up and try to get a single or walk and with runners on base he needs to worry about driving in those runs.

We could always tell him to go up and do his best Adam Dunn impersonation. :coffee:

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

You do realize he had 36 HR's and 100 RBI in 2017, right.?

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Maybe just me. I'll gladly take 8 Tony Gwynn's in my lineup. Historically teams that lead the league in HR's don't win it all. Quite the opposite.

Just now, rico said:

You do realize he had 36 HR's and 100 RBI in 2017, right.?

That was two years ago and last year he had 12 home runs and so far has 1 this year.  It just seemed like he changed his philosophy last year and to me I don't think it is working or helping the team.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

That was two years ago and last year he had 12 home runs and so far has 1 this year.  It just seemed like he changed his philosophy last year and to me I don't think it is working or helping the team.

He also had like a 100 fewer or so PA's last year as opposed to 2017.  And 2019 ain't in the books yet. 

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Maybe just me. I'll gladly take 8 Tony Gwynn's in my lineup. Historically teams that lead the league in HR's don't win it all. Quite the opposite.

I am not really talking about home runs but he seems like he is more worried about his OBP than in actually driving in runs.  Also I hate that they are putting him in the leadoff spot because to me you need to have more speed at the top of your lineup.

Archived