2019 MLB Discussion

rico

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Find it amazing that a team that goes 109 years without winning is already wanting the manger who brought you a world series to be fired.

Hey, Tito Francona won 2 WS with the Red Sox, and 4 years later was shown the door.

Seeking6 is exactly right. The window may be starting to close on this group, and his comparison to the Bears is spot on.

And to be honest, I haven't been a huge Maddon fan since his (in my view, anyway) mismanagement of game 7 in the 2016 series

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Trust me. It's a daily grind that wears me down. Problem is most lifelong Cubs fans are probably lifelong Bears fans. We don't want a repeat of 85 Bears where we were the best team in the league for a window for 3-4 years and win only 1 title. Some Cubs fans are already thinking the same. Window is open...need to get at least another title. Fair or unfair. 

Completely understand.  I do think however the window will be open longer than what the Bears' was.

Just now, rico said:

Completely understand.  I do think however the window will be open longer than what the Bears' was.

Hope so! We still have all of our core guys under contract until 2021/22 although we'll have 3 big contracts (Rizzo, Bryant, Baez) all due at 2022 season. Wouldn't surprise me if Cubs start working on extensions 1 at a time over the next season or two. 

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Hope so! We still have all of our core guys under contract until 2021/22 although we'll have 3 big contracts (Rizzo, Bryant, Baez) all due at 2022 season. Wouldn't surprise me if Cubs start working on extensions 1 at a time over the next season or two. 

Yep, gotta keep those 3 happy.  And I think Theo will.

16 minutes ago, rico said:

I kinda took Seeking6 as saying if Maddon can't at least get to another WS in the next year or 2, then maybe a change at the helm is needed.

In Ditka's 11 years the Bears missed the playoffs 4 times...his first 2 (82, 83), 1989 and his last year (92). They had a great core that I believe could have won at least one more SB if not for 4 things

McMahon's chronic injuries

Buddy Ryan leaving

Letting Wilbur Marshall go to free agency

And Ditka losing the confidence of the team after the SB year due to his telling them to focus on football and not on endorsements, when he was hawking everything from limo services to Campbell's Chunky Soup

The last being the killer

13 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I kinda took Seeking6 as saying if Maddon can't at least get to another WS in the next year or 2, then maybe a change at the helm is needed.

In Ditka's 11 years the Bears missed the playoffs 4 times...his first 2 (82, 83), 1989 and his last year (92). They had a great core that I believe could have won at least one more SB if not for 4 things

Buddy Ryan leaving

And Ditka losing the confidence of the team after the SB year due to his telling them to focus on football and not on endorsements, when he was hawking everything from limo services to Campbell's Chunky Soup

Well, what did Bobby Cox win?  

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Buddy Ryan leaving

Maddon is in last year of contract. No extension on table. If they win it all I believe he'll be back for a few years. If they don't I think Theo other plans. 

Maddon is in last year of contract. No extension on table. If they win it all I believe he'll be back for a few years. If they don't I think Theo other plans. 

Yep, and like I said, with Girardi being available, I think Maddon is on thin ice if he doesn't at least get to the WS this year.

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Yep, and like I said, with Girardi being available, I think Maddon is on thin ice if he doesn't at least get to the WS this year.

Here's my only issue on Girardi. Cubs clubhouse is full of loose guys. Girardi isn't a loose guy. He's a very good manager don't get me wrong but not sure if it's perfect fit. Theo has always liked Terry Francona obviously. Given the level of thought Theo does on any subject my guess is he's had 2-3 guys in the back of his mind since the decision was made to not offer Joe an extension. 

Here's my only issue on Girardi. Cubs clubhouse is full of loose guys. Girardi isn't a loose guy. He's a very good manager don't get me wrong but not sure if it's perfect fit. Theo has always liked Terry Francona obviously. Given the level of thought Theo does on any subject my guess is he's had 2-3 guys in the back of his mind since the decision was made to not offer Joe an extension. 

I don't know...he took them to the 7th game of the ALCS and lost, then didn't get offered a contract because, in Cashman's words, "he didn't communicate well with the younger players."

I think it was more Hal Steinbrenner trying to show he was like the old man, and Cashman being increasingly enamoured with analytics. I also think it was time for Girardi to go. I believe he was a little "New York burned out" with the constant turmoil that seems to always surround the Yankees.

I'm not sure he would be the perfect fit, but I think he'd have success in Chicago. I'm not sold on Maddon's constant line-up and batting order shuffling, and no matter how I try, I can't understand batting the pitcher 8th (which he seems to have eschewed this year). 

And, as I said, I lost a lot of "big game" confidence in him when he pulled Hendricks in game 7 of th he WS for what seemed to me to get Lester his due. 

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Understand, but Maddon's run isn't nearly that impressive. Plus, in my book, getting to the WS counts for a lot, win or lose. Especially in Chicago.

I get that, I am just saying great managers sometimes fail at getting the ultimate prize even though they are always on the cusp.  

2 minutes ago, rico said:

I get that, I am just saying great managers sometimes fail at getting the ultimate prize even though they are always on the cusp.  

Agreed. Maybe if Maddon was winning with mediocre or even good talent, I'd be more forgiving. But I think the Cubs have GREAT talent. 

I think Maddon does some of the stuff I get annoyed with just to push the "Mad Genius" narrative

9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Agreed. Maybe if Maddon was winning with mediocre or even good talent, I'd be more forgiving. But I think the Cubs have GREAT talent. 

I think Maddon does some of the stuff I get annoyed with just to push the "Mad Genius" narrative

That is why he is on a short leash.

Maddon reached 400 wins with Cubs last night. Fastest to 400 with 1 team since Joe Torre did with Yankees in 90's. I don't think some of my brethren realize how good he actually is. 

The brethren care about those championship flags.  Joe is doing just fine.

11 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Maddon reached 400 wins with Cubs last night. Fastest to 400 with 1 team since Joe Torre did with Yankees in 90's. I don't think some of my brethren realize how good he actually is. 

This. I hate the cubs more than anyone yet still recognize that he’s a really good manager. Don’t think I’d put him on Tony La Russa level but still a really good manager.

Archived