2019 MLB Discussion

rico

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Few guys sure. Fowler, Jake, backup catcher Ross.....but the rest of the core is still all there and you have to think they would improve over the last 2-3 seasons. Just a bad year. No explanation has made sense to me yet. 

Fowler is the one they miss the most.

2 minutes ago, rico said:

Fowler is the one they miss the most.

Lead off guy who got everything going. We wanted him but he made a business decision and chose $. No harm there. Just wish we would have solidified our lead off spot because we've been chasing that role ever since he left. That's on the front office.

16 minutes ago, rico said:

I edited my above post and showed you when each of those players came so starting in 73 al of those players were on that big red machine.

Most of those players were the key part of the big Red machine.  I know Morgan was traded but wasn't that like in 72 so he was a big part of that team for most of that run.

Just looked at the Reds roster back then and when the players came to the Reds that I mentioned above.

Bench, Rose, Concepcion and Perez was on the roster in 1970.

71- Foster came to the Reds

72- Morgan and Geronimo came to the Reds

73- Griffey came to the Reds

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I edited my above post and showed you when each of those players came so starting in 73 al of those players were on that big red machine.

Division winners '70, '72, '73, '75, '76, '79...the whole time they made tweaks year after year.  Compare '70 to '79.  Leave the Big Red Machine out of the equation.  Heck even after the '76 title they sent Perez packing.

I haven't pulled it up but I bet the '70 Dodgers were different than the '74 team.  And the '74 team was different than the '77 team.

My point being, is that good teams make changes.

38 minutes ago, rico said:

Division winners '70, '72, '73, '75, '76, '79...the whole time they made tweaks year after year.  Compare '70 to '79.  Leave the Big Red Machine out of the equation.  Heck even after the '76 title they sent Perez packing.

I haven't pulled it up but I bet the '70 Dodgers were different than the '74 team.  And the '74 team was different than the '77 team.

My point being, is that good teams make changes.

And that's the thing that has been a tad frustrating too. We knew what we did to get Chapman. Well worth it. We signed one of the best in Wade Davis but he chose $ in Colorado after his great 2017 season. Brought in Morrow but he got injured putting on his pants. We raced Kimbrell back and see what he's done or hasn't. We added Castellanos this year. Signed Yu in 2018. Have been a few others. Traded for Q.

My point is Cubs have been trying like crazy to add to the core even since our title but of all the moves made we only just started seeing returns on Yu and Castellanos I hope is a Cub for many years. 

11 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

And that's the thing that has been a tad frustrating too. We knew what we did to get Chapman. Well worth it. We signed one of the best in Wade Davis but he chose $ in Colorado after his great 2017 season. Brought in Morrow but he got injured putting on his pants. We raced Kimbrell back and see what he's done or hasn't. We added Castellanos this year. Signed Yu in 2018. Have been a few others. Traded for Q.

My point is Cubs have been trying like crazy to add to the core even since our title but of all the moves made we only just started seeing returns on Yu and Castellanos I hope is a Cub for many years. 

Sometimes the changes don't pan out.  See Tony Perez.  Where as the Reds, at the time, should have been shopping Rose or Morgan.

I said quite awhile back, that the Cubs line-up reminded me of the BRM.  But I also thought they weren't built quite right at least not like Reds of the '70's.  

19 minutes ago, rico said:

Sometimes the changes don't pan out.  See Tony Perez.  Where as the Reds, at the time, should have been shopping Rose or Morgan.

I said quite awhile back, that the Cubs line-up reminded me of the BRM.  But I also thought they weren't built quite right at least not like Reds of the '70's.  

Well the game is so different today and lineups don't have a typical lead off hitter.  Today they put their best hitters at 2 and 3 and most of the lineup is a home run or bust type of hitters.

5 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Ross removed his name from consideration months ago. Time will tell on the Cubs but if we lose Maddon I'll be filing that under the "be careful what you wish for" section. 

Me too.  I'm not convinced he is the biggest part of the problem, but we've had that conversation...may pick it up later but I'll leave it be for now.  Maddon is a pretty good manager from what I've observed and the players seem to really like him.

6 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Me too.  I'm not convinced he is the biggest part of the problem, but we've had that conversation...may pick it up later but I'll leave it be for now.  Maddon is a pretty good manager from what I've observed and the players seem to really like him.

Want to trade managers with the Cubs getting Bell and the Reds getting Maddon?

5 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

That would seem to be a good trade for the Reds, but you'd have to ask Theo!

I seriously doubt Theo would do that trade.  It seems like Maddon antics wears on a team and maybe his time there is up.  also it seems like Maddon does best when he is an under dog and has young players.

14 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I seriously doubt Theo would do that trade.  It seems like Maddon antics wears on a team and maybe his time there is up.  also it seems like Maddon does best when he is an under dog and has young players.

Keep hearing he is better with young players.  May be some truth to that, however maybe he does better with guys that are hungry?   Guys that haven't won at the big league level?  

I truly think that Maddon is too positive all the time. 

I have nothing against "player's managers." I honestly believe that you have to be a player's manager to some extent. Hell yeah, stand up for your guys to the the umps, the press, the fans, the execs. But if there's a problem with a player in the field or with an attitude, correct it. And if it's chronic, make sure you're telling them in no uncertain terms. And use the bench to your advantage.

I'm not saying go all Billy Martin and "put up your dukes" on them. But 2 managers I admire greatly, Jim Leyland and Whitey Herzog, weren't afraid to call you out, even in public at times, if you were screwing up or copped an attitude. Sure, I'll back you 100%, but you start hurting the other 24 guys, I'm gonna let you know it in plain language.

This article is spot on.

"The Cubs lead the majors in outs made on the bases, are third in the National League in errors and have the worst save rate in the NL in the ninth inning or later, blowing an MLB-worst 15 of 50 opportunities."

Sounds like a team that's not totally dialed in to me. Make a mistake on the bases? I'll talk to you about it. But if it becomes habitual, I'm going to tell you to pull your cranium from your rectal cavity, or you'll be grabbing some pine.

i can't even imagine Maddon getting salty with a player. Just not his style. And I think that's helpful when you're managing younger players. No need to crush their spirit. But veterans should know better, and be called on it if it seems like they don't.

35 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I have nothing against "player's managers." I honestly believe that you have to be a player's manager to some extent. Hell yeah, stand up for your guys to the the umps, the press, the fans, the execs. But if there's a problem with a player in the field or with an attitude, correct it. And if it's chronic, make sure you're telling them in no uncertain terms. And use the bench to your advantage.

I'm not saying go all Billy Martin and "put up your dukes" on them. But 2 managers I admire greatly, Jim Leyland and Whitey Herzog, weren't afraid to call you out, even in public at times, if you were screwing up or copped an attitude. Sure, I'll back you 100%, but you start hurting the other 24 guys, I'm gonna let you know it in plain language.

This article is spot on.

"The Cubs lead the majors in outs made on the bases, are third in the National League in errors and have the worst save rate in the NL in the ninth inning or later, blowing an MLB-worst 15 of 50 opportunities."

Sounds like a team that's not totally dialed in to me. Make a mistake on the bases? I'll talk to you about it. But if it becomes habitual, I'm going to tell you to pull your cranium from your rectal cavity, or you'll be grabbing some pine.

i can't even imagine Maddon getting salty with a player. Just not his style. And I think that's helpful when you're managing younger players. No need to crush their spirit. But veterans should know better, and be called on it if it seems like they don't.

Outs made on the bases, third in the NL in errors, and worst save rate in the NL from 9th inning on.  Those are a few of the key ingredients for mediocrity.  I would even venture to say the Cubs have so many "mistakes" that don't show up on score sheets.  Things like misplaying balls, not getting DPs, not advancing when they should, etc.  I just don't know they fix it and besides that it appears to late anyway.

35 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

This article is spot on.

Outs made on the bases, third in the NL in errors, and worst save rate in the NL from 9th inning on.  Those are a few of the key ingredients for mediocrity.  I would even venture to say the Cubs have so many "mistakes" that don't show up on score sheets.  Things like misplaying balls, not getting DPs, not advancing when they should, etc.  I just don't know they fix it and besides that it appears to late anyway.

3 hours ago, rico said:

It won't be fixed this year. Barring an Old Testament miracle, the Cubs are through. 

But if there's a lack of focus in multiple areas (base running, fielding, pitching, fundamentals) where else can you look but the coaching staff?

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

It won't be fixed this year. Barring an Old Testament miracle, the Cubs are through. 

But if there's a lack of focus in multiple areas (base running, fielding, pitching, fundamentals) where else can you look but the coaching staff?

Complacency is a strange animal.  In baseball, or any professional sport, the athletes are making millions.  They are guaranteed their money whether they win or not.  Sadly, it appears the Cubs have quite a few guys that have become complacent this particular year IMO.  This team is to good to behave or act this way.  

6 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Great question.  You would have to think so but at the end of the day he had what 350 million reasons to not  let it eat him up. 

I wanted Bryce in Chicago as much as the next fan but not at those financial numbers. I'd rather shell out higher per year numbers instead of the overall sum being so high. Cubs will have some contracts coming in the next couple of years where decisions to let guys like Bryant or whoever walk or not but I bet there are several GM's this morning thinking in the back of their mind phew.....didn't spend that $ and they didn't make playoffs because of one guy.

Archived