2019 MLB Discussion

rico

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was listening to Kaplan yesterday on radio and was surprised as much information he was divulging. We all knew Verlander wanted to be a Cub....but I had no idea how badly he did. Kap said that summer Verlander's agent called him and said look...I can't call Theo myself but can you plant a seed in his ear for me? Kap called Theo and basically there wasn't any interest in Verlander. Not only did we miss out on Verlander but we ended up trading our 2 best prospects to White Sox for Quintana. Imagine if that one scenario didn't play out that way.

Anyway really good interview with Kap and Dakich. He also said he believes one of the core (Bryant, Baez, Rizzo) won't be here next year. 

PS...before the Dakich police come along. I don't listen to him at all but had to tune in for this interview with Kap.

14 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Could open up for Joe Girardi?

He'll always be mentioned and would probably be a very good hire for certain type of team. Not sure Cubs players would be a fit or vice versa. 

Not saying he would leave but when Theo was hiring before he only wanted two guys. Maddon or Terry Francona. I'd be surprised if there wasn't at least a discussion in dark alleys somewhere about Francona since it would technically be tampering I believe. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Was listening to Kaplan yesterday on radio and was surprised as much information he was divulging. We all knew Verlander wanted to be a Cub....but I had no idea how badly he did. Kap said that summer Verlander's agent called him and said look...I can't call Theo myself but can you plant a seed in his ear for me? Kap called Theo and basically there wasn't any interest in Verlander. Not only did we miss out on Verlander but we ended up trading our 2 best prospects to White Sox for Quintana. Imagine if that one scenario didn't play out that way.

Anyway really good interview with Kap and Dakich. He also said he believes one of the core (Bryant, Baez, Rizzo) won't be here next year. 

PS...before the Dakich police come along. I don't listen to him at all but had to tune in for this interview with Kap.

Similar-ish situation happened with Scherzer and STL. He wanted to come pitch for the Cards but they weren’t interested. Dumb mistake on their part. 

3 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Similar-ish situation happened with Scherzer and STL. He wanted to come pitch for the Cards but they weren’t interested. Dumb mistake on their part. 

Yep. Remember that one well. Especially since he grew up a Cardinals fan, hometown/state kid.....not saying it's similar to drafting Bowie over Jordan but not going after Scherzer is one for the books.

23 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep. Remember that one well. Especially since he grew up a Cardinals fan, hometown/state kid.....not saying it's similar to drafting Bowie over Jordan but not going after Scherzer is one for the books.

Yeah that was an idiotic decision. He’s only proceeded to win 2 Cy Young awards since then lol. Crazy to think that he’s absolutely lived up to that $210 million over 7 year deal. He’s been unreal. 

I think the number is up to 10 or so teams that have broken their single season records for HR's in a year.  My question do you guys actually enjoy this brand of baseball where most of the outcomes are a HR, a walk or a K.  to me there is not variety in the game today and to me makes it a little boring to watch.  Also with all of the pitching changes and the slow pace of the game I feel they need to make changes or they will lose viewership of the game.  I also want to know why every batter has to step out of the box after every pitch to adjust their gloves.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I think the number is up to 10 or so teams that have broken their single season records for HR's in a year.  My question do you guys actually enjoy this brand of baseball where most of the outcomes are a HR, a walk or a K.  to me there is not variety in the game today and to me makes it a little boring to watch.  Also with all of the pitching changes and the slow pace of the game I feel they need to make changes or they will lose viewership of the game.  I also want to know why every batter has to step out of the box after every pitch to adjust their gloves.

Mantle and Maris were chasing the Babe in '61.  Maris finished with 61 and Mantle with 54.  

From '62-'94 only 3 players reached the 50 HR mark.

Mays in '65 with 52

Foster in '77 with 52

Cecil Fielder in '91 with 51

Reaching the 50 HR mark was rare territory.  Only a handful of guys ever accomplished the feat.  Come '95 and Albert Belle smacked 50.  That seems to be when the flood gates opened for reaching that mark.  

Archived