2019 MLB Discussion

rico

8 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I am kind of torn on this.  Seems if you part ways with Joe then why hire a disciple of his?  On the other hand even disciples don't do things the exact same way.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, rico said:

I am kind of torn on this.  Seems if you part ways with Joe then why hire a disciple of his?  On the other hand even disciples don't do things the exact same way.

Whoever becomes our guy I'll gladly support but this isn't my first choice at all. Like Ross but he's turned into some sort of folk legend with Cubs fans. Agree with your point...if Maddon's methods are wrong why hire a guy who will reference his ways or perhaps the way he did things. 

19 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Whoever becomes our guy I'll gladly support but this isn't my first choice at all. Like Ross but he's turned into some sort of folk legend with Cubs fans. Agree with your point...if Maddon's methods are wrong why hire a guy who will reference his ways or perhaps the way he did things. 

Well I posted my thoughts without thinking who Ross had played for before the Cubs...John Farrell, Bobby Cox, and Freddi Gonzalez I believe.

2 minutes ago, rico said:

Well I posted my thoughts without thinking who Ross had played for before the Cubs...John Farrell, Bobby Cox, and Freddi Gonzalez I believe.

Definitely we could do worse no doubt. He's been around some of the best in the business. I just worry about the connections....but if we end up with Ross we could do far worse. Just depends on how much Theo wants to remove the Maddon way of things....if that's what he wants to do at all. 

26 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Definitely we could do worse no doubt. He's been around some of the best in the business. I just worry about the connections....but if we end up with Ross we could do far worse. Just depends on how much Theo wants to remove the Maddon way of things....if that's what he wants to do at all. 

Absolutely...couldn't have said it better myself.

CBS Sports take on candidates

One name that is noticably missing is Sandy Alomar Jr. I know he has interviewed for the Cubs' job in the past, and would think he would be under consideration this time...

As for Ross, one of the most difficult situations you can face in the management world is going from being their peer to being their manager...I know that from experience. Lots of landmines to it, but can be successful if you handle it the right way.

13 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Twins end up with 307 home runs and edge out the Yankees for most in a season ever.

Hope the playoff series is hard fought, entertaining, and not a blow out 

Yep, the Bomba Squad eked out that title over the Bronx Bombers as the Yankee bats were silent against the Texas Rangers.

Should be an entertaining series if you like homeruns and offense

1 hour ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Yep, the Bomba Squad eked out that title over the Bronx Bombers as the Yankee bats were silent against the Texas Rangers.

Should be an entertaining series if you like homeruns and offense

And with that comment it will turn into a pitching and defensive series!!!!  LOL

20 minutes ago, rico said:

Maybe Maddon isn't interested in the Cincy job, hell the Reds were lucky to get Dusty when they did.

I am sure he is not and probably will end up some place like San Diego.  I am half joking about Bell because he has only been there a year and should be given more time.  For some reason I have a shorter leash for pro coaches than I do college coaches for some reason.

I really wonder how much a difference that a manager really makes in winning and losing on a daily basis.  Especially today where there don't seem as much of a strategy on offense with not much running or bunting.  it is just waiting for the homerun to come so how does a manager really influence that much.

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am sure he is not and probably will end up some place like San Diego.  I am half joking about Bell because he has only been there a year and should be given more time.  For some reason I have a shorter leash for pro coaches than I do college coaches for some reason.

I really wonder how much a difference that a manager really makes in winning and losing on a daily basis.  Especially today where there don't seem as much of a strategy on offense with not much running or bunting.  it is just waiting for the homerun to come so how does a manager really influence that much.

Good question in that last paragraph.  I am sure there is some stat geek out there that has it broken down.

Good question in that last paragraph.  I am sure there is some stat geek out there that has it broken down.

The old saying I use to hear was that a manger might win you 5 games a year.  Another one I remember hearing is that every team will win 60 games will lose 60 games and it what you do in the other 42 games that makes the difference.

21 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

The old saying I use to hear was that a manger might win you 5 games a year.  Another one I remember hearing is that every team will win 60 games will lose 60 games and it what you do in the other 42 games that makes the difference.

I remember Tommy Lasorda saying one time...no matter how good you are, you are going to lose 1/3 of your games.  No matter how bad you are you are going to win 1/3 of your games.  It is the other 1/3 that counts.

But even Tommy has to be surprised at the number of pitching changes that take place in a regular season game.  He also has to be surprised by the number of double-switches that occur in the NL.  Different style from his day of playing/coaching/managing.

To me the biggest difference the manager can/does make in his team's performance is the set line-up and the changes he makes to it subsequently.  Sure there are still the suicide squeeze calls, the stolen base calls, hit and run calls, calling for a pitch-out, and sacrifice calls.  But none of those outweigh the number of pitching changes he controls.  Just my opinion.

I remember Tommy Lasorda saying one time...no matter how good you are, you are going to lose 1/3 of your games.  No matter how bad you are you are going to win 1/3 of your games.  It is the other 1/3 that counts.

But even Tommy has to be surprised at the number of pitching changes that take place in a regular season game.  He also has to be surprised by the number of double-switches that occur in the NL.  Different style from his day of playing/coaching/managing.

To me the biggest difference the manager can/does make in his team's performance is the set line-up and the changes he makes to it subsequently.  Sure there are still the suicide squeeze calls, the stolen base calls, hit and run calls, calling for a pitch-out, and sacrifice calls.  But none of those outweigh the number of pitching changes he controls.  Just my opinion.

Probably managers today needs to be more of a psychologist or social worker.  Also do managers really decide when to make pitching changes or does he listen to the analytics when to change the pitcher.

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Probably managers today needs to be more of a psychologist or social worker.  Also do managers really decide when to make pitching changes or does he listen to the analytics when to change the pitcher.

You know as well as I that managers pay close attention to the pitch count.  I guess one could say that the "gut-feeling" or "eye-test" are seldom used anymore.

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Don't know for sure where Joe Maddon winds up, but the Angels just cleared the deck for him by firing Brad Ausmus...

31 years in an organization, like Maddon had with the Angels, means something...

Theo is doing his end of year presser right now. I'll say this I love his transparency so much. He said he was stubborn to a fault with this group but having the same taste in his mouth for 2nd straight year means major changes coming. No untouchables was his comment. Also said he thinks a bidding war will take place for Maddon. 

If I were guess on Maddon he'll head West. Has a home in SoCal or Arizona I believe. Angels, Diamondbacks, Padres....couple others will come into play. 

Just didn't think this day would come. 4 years ago tonight I'm watching Schwarber put one in the river at Pittsburgh off of Cole as we started our ascension......today Theo is talking major rebuild and Maddon is gone. Has to be a Southwest Airline life comes at you fast commercial in here somewhere.

6 hours ago, IU Scott said:

The best managers? Both.

You guys act like statistical analysis shows results like "Pull this pitcher after 57 pitches". No, it's about understanding odds and tendencies.

"This batter hits .495 off of RHP with more than 1 runner on, and .245 off of LHP in the same situation. But, he strikes out 45% of the time off of RHP, but 15% of the time against lefties" Its the 8th inning, Tie game, There's runners at 2nd and 3rd, 1 out, and your right handed reliever has faced 1 batter. Do you pull him?

That's a situation where analytics can help, but still requires a gut call. Likelihood of a hit vs likelihood of a sac fly? Which do you want? There's no answers in the statistics, and you don't have a PC in the dugout.

Maybe youve got a hot LHP, maybe your ace lefty is in a slump. Maybe the wind is carrying today. That's all gut calls.

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Theo is doing his end of year presser right now. I'll say this I love his transparency so much. He said he was stubborn to a fault with this group but having the same taste in his mouth for 2nd straight year means major changes coming. No untouchables was his comment. Also said he thinks a bidding war will take place for Maddon. 

If I were guess on Maddon he'll head West. Has a home in SoCal or Arizona I believe. Angels, Diamondbacks, Padres....couple others will come into play. 

Just didn't think this day would come. 4 years ago tonight I'm watching Schwarber put one in the river at Pittsburgh off of Cole as we started our ascension......today Theo is talking major rebuild and Maddon is gone. Has to be a Southwest Airline life comes at you fast commercial in here somewhere.

Theo's comment on a "bidding war" for Maddon's services falls flat. I don't think the Angels can Ausmus without already knowing they're getting Maddon. And I think the Angels, Maddon, and Theo have known it for more than a day or two.

Archived