2019 MLB Discussion

rico

Over 600M between Harper and Machado and they'll be playing as many games in October as I will. Too bad there wasn't a historic precedence for them to realize....oh, yeah, ARod in Texas.....

In basketball (and to a lesser extent, soccer and hockey), you can win with one break-the-bank type player. The essence of the sport is the same for anyone on the court, and the differences in required skills among positions is more nuanced vs radically different (goaltenders aside). 

Baseball and football have such specialization that one break the bank player at a position can't take over a game. They can dominate their aspect of the game, but how hard is it to pitch around one hitter or throw away from a dominant CB?

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the analytics crowd. Remember before the season where PECOTA predicted 80 win season and Cubs miss playoffs? I was as critical of those as any. Well, well, well....Cubs have 82 wins. On a 7 game slide with a joke of a performance last night and with a loss or Brewers victor today officially eliminated. Might have to go back and see what they were saying why they thought 80 wins.

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

For the analytics crowd. Remember before the season where PECOTA predicted 80 win season and Cubs miss playoffs? I was as critical of those as any. Well, well, well....Cubs have 82 wins. On a 7 game slide with a joke of a performance last night and with a loss or Brewers victor today officially eliminated. Might have to go back and see what they were saying why they thought 80 wins.

I would be interested in seeing that.

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Do you know what they predicted for the Cardinals?

53 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Well cards are choking this away as the Brewers take care of business. 

Cardinals needed to not take their foot off the gas. At this rate we will be wasting a pitcher on a game between wildcards or against the Brewers for the division.  They are being managed as if the division was already locked up  

Shildt has been managing like Matheny lately. Bullpen twice had a chance to lock it down last night and failed both times. Hopefully today was the last time we see Wacha in a cardinal uniform. 

5 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Shildt has been managing like Matheny lately. Bullpen twice had a chance to lock it down last night and failed both times. Hopefully today was the last time we see Wacha in a cardinal uniform. 

Eh Wacha has been useful. Saw he got pulled early today. But at the end of the day the Bull Pen has blown leads what 3 of the last 7 games?

22 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

World Series I'd like to see...

Braves vs Indians (and, yes, I know the Tribe is on the outside looking in right now)

2nd choice

Braves vs Twinks (a 1991 rematch which was exciting)

World Series I think I'll see...

Dodgers vs Astros

I have no real preferences.  Anything with Twins would be ok. I really like watching the Astros play. My boys love the Yankees I have a soft spot in my heart for the Ray's so I can just about find a reason for each AL team. 

I am a NL for the most part but HATE the Cards not a fan of Brewers,  Chad Billingsley a distant cousin played for the Dodgers so their ok I guess. Despise the Braves. I guess it is the Nats for me. That is 1 confusing post.

18 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I have no real preferences.  Anything with Twins would be ok. I really like watching the Astros play. My boys love the Yankees I have a soft spot in my heart for the Ray's so I can just about find a reason for each AL team. 

I am a NL for the most part but HATE the Cards not a fan of Brewers,  Chad Billingsley a distant cousin played for the Dodgers so their ok I guess. Despise the Braves. I guess it is the Nats for me. That is 1 confusing post.

Why the Card hate?

Archived