2019 MLB Discussion

rico

Saw a pretty good back and forth between Vitale and a few others on Twitter Tuesday night. Attendance for Rays game was 8,779. Just a shame. I know the problems down there and the stadium location stinks but under 9k?? MLB has to step in. Don't care where but that team needs a new home. Charlotte or somewhere in the South away from Atlanta or even maybe a place like Oklahoma City. 

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Saw a pretty good back and forth between Vitale and a few others on Twitter Tuesday night. Attendance for Rays game was 8,779. Just a shame. I know the problems down there and the stadium location stinks but under 9k?? MLB has to step in. Don't care where but that team needs a new home. Charlotte or somewhere in the South away from Atlanta or even maybe a place like Oklahoma City. 

Both Florida teams need to relocate or just be contracted.

20 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Why the Card hate?

Good question.  I grew up a big Reds fan and never felt threatened by the Cubbies but the Cards were always good.  It's so odd because I wanted to be Ozzie Smith and I liked many of their players. I met LaRussa several times at IU but believe it or not it goes back to my 12 year old little coach. We were the Cards and he was a real douche bag.  His son got thrown out of a game and to stick it to the league He did not show up for all star voting so I could not get nominated for All stars and the other coaches had to put me as an alternate and I had to hope someone could not make a tournament.  From that point on I truly disliked the Cards. I can appreciate their history, their fan base their success but I cant for the life of me root for them. I know very petty,  now I feel like I need to go see a therapist😀

Plus the whole McGwire Sosa, Bonds just put icing on the cake.

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

Good question.  I grew up a big Reds fan and never felt threatened by the Cubbies but the Cards were always good.  It's so odd because I wanted to be Ozzie Smith and I liked many of their players. I met LaRussa several times at IU but believe it or not it goes back to my 12 year old little coach. We were the Cards and he was a real douche bag.  His son got thrown out of a game and to stick it to the league He did not show up for all star voting so I could not get nominated for All stars and the other coaches had to put me as an alternate and I had to hope someone could not make a tournament.  From that point on I truly disliked the Cards. I can appreciate their history, their fan base their success but I cant for the life of me root for them. I know very petty,  now I feel like I need to go see a therapist😀

Plus the whole McGwire Sosa, Bonds just put icing on the cake.

As a Reds fan growing up neither the Cubs or Cards were in our division so I did not worry about them at all.  It was all about the Dodgers when I was growing up because in the 70's it was either them or us winning the division.

22 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

As a Reds fan growing up neither the Cubs or Cards were in our division so I did not worry about them at all.  It was all about the Dodgers when I was growing up because in the 70's it was either them or us winning the division.

For titles yes. There were way too many Cards and Cubs fans in the area. The Cards were good in the 80's. You are correct about Dodgers and Braves those are the 2 teams I considered rivals but the Cards and Cubs were rivals for fans if that makes sense. 

I still dont like the Braves. 

33 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

For titles yes. There were way too many Cards and Cubs fans in the area. The Cards were good in the 80's. You are correct about Dodgers and Braves those are the 2 teams I considered rivals but the Cards and Cubs were rivals for fans if that makes sense. 

I still dont like the Braves. 

At least where I grew up and the school I went to I don't really remember being around any Cardinal fans and not that many Cubs fans.  I figured where you lived in SE Indiana that was all Reds country.

17 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

At least where I grew up and the school I went to I don't really remember being around any Cardinal fans and not that many Cubs fans.  I figured where you lived in SE Indiana that was all Reds country.

Where I lived yes.  I spent a lot of summers near Evansville and that is Cards country and then at IU lots of Cards fans.  In all honesty it goes back to a coach when I was 12

Sadly my Dad(God love him) is a Cards fan.  I used to laugh at him in the 70's when my Reds were winning and his precious Cards weren't in the hunt.  However my Dad always maintains that the Cards would have been damn good in that decade if they hadn't of made 2 bad trades.  Steve Carlton and Reggie Smith.  Not that they traded them, but the return they got for them.  My Father is 79 now and his memory is fading but if you asked him who his favorite player of all time was he would say it would be a toss-up between Stan Musial, Bob Gibson, Lou Brock, and Ozzie Smith.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

The Giants won the west in '71.

23 minutes ago, rico said:

Sadly my Dad(God love him) is a Cards fan.  I used to laugh at him in the 70's when my Reds were winning and his precious Cards weren't in the hunt.  However my Dad always maintains that the Cards would have been damn good in that decade if they hadn't of made 2 bad trades.  Steve Carlton and Reggie Smith.  Not that they traded them, but the return they got for them.  My Father is 79 now and his memory is fading but if you asked him who his favorite player of all time was he would say it would be a toss-up between Stan Musial, Bob Gibson, Lou Brock, and Ozzie Smith.

Thanks for sharing.  IMO baseball tends to lend itself to more of these stories than any other pro sport. I hope that my kids take my stories and memories alive as you are with your Father.  Baseball binds many of us together 

Today will be Marty Brennaman's last game calling Reds game son the radio after 46 years.  I wish it was not a day game where I can't listen to it since I am at work.  I grew up listening to the Reds on radio and listened to Marty for years and he was always candid about the team which I liked.  Back when I was young channel 4 out of Indy would probably show 35-40 road games a year so if I wanted to follow the Reds it had to be on the radio.  I feel that baseball is sometimes best on the radio over TV because you could have it on in the background and still follow the game.  Today since most of the games is on TV I listen to less games except if I am in my car.

19 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Today will be Marty Brennaman's last game calling Reds game son the radio after 46 years.  I wish it was not a day game where I can't listen to it since I am at work.  I grew up listening to the Reds on radio and listened to Marty for years and he was always candid about the team which I liked.  Back when I was young channel 4 out of Indy would probably show 35-40 road games a year so if I wanted to follow the Reds it had to be on the radio.  I feel that baseball is sometimes best on the radio over TV because you could have it on in the background and still follow the game.  Today since most of the games is on TV I listen to less games except if I am in my car.

Marty will be missed. Lots of memories listening to West coast games hiding the radio under the covers so my Mom could not hear it. Miss the old left hander and without Marty and Joe it will not be the same

34 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Thanks for sharing.  IMO baseball tends to lend itself to more of these stories than any other pro sport. I hope that my kids take my stories and memories alive as you are with your Father.  Baseball binds many of us together 

I also would tell you that I asked my Dad one time why he was a Cardinal fan.  His answer was very simple.  He was born in 1940.  They didn't have a TV so the radio was the family's source of entertainment.  The Cardinals games were the only ones they could get on said radio.

26 minutes ago, rico said:

I also would tell you that I asked my Dad one time why he was a Cardinal fan.  His answer was very simple.  He was born in 1940.  They didn't have a TV so the radio was the family's source of entertainment.  The Cardinals games were the only ones they could get on said radio.

Same reason why my family near Evansville said. Unless as parents we push a certain team on our kids I think it comes down to liking 1 player and then falling in love with the team. Things are.much different for my kids than they were for me

Outside of IU basketball and Colts we do love for same teams. We all root for Pacers but they both like other teams more. We all watch the Reds but they are only Dads favorite team. 

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Vivid memories of lying in bed as a kid listening to Marty and Joe on a transistor radio.  Especially loved the beginning of a West Coast game.  As a 10-12 year old, I very rarely made it through the whole game.  But still some of the best memories of my life.

47 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

One thing I remember about Joe is how excited he could get and remember him yelling get out of hear, get out of hear and it would be a routine fly ball.

I kid you not.  Listening to a game one time where he starts yelling that and the Shortstop caught the ball.  

Archived