2019 MLB Discussion

rico

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, rico said:

Mantle and Maris were chasing the Babe in '61.  Maris finished with 61 and Mantle with 54.  

From '62-'94 only 3 players reached the 50 HR mark.

Mays in '65 with 52

Foster in '77 with 52

Cecil Fielder in '91 with 51

Reaching the 50 HR mark was rare territory.  Only a handful of guys ever accomplished the feat.  Come '95 and Albert Belle smacked 50.  That seems to be when the flood gates opened for reaching that mark.  

The Yankees have 14 players with 10+ HR runs this year

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

If I had to make a prediction for the world series my pick would be Houston vs the Dodgers

MLB is turning into the NFL any more with the wild cards.  Teams get hot to get in, and I keep my eye on them.  In the NL the Brewers are the team to watch.  As compared to the AL where you have the Twins, Rays, Indians, and A's.  All 4 have fought tooth and nail coming down the stretch.  I would love to see a Brewers/Twins match-up.  But the media will be clamoring for a Yankees/Dodgers WS.

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

If the Cardinals knew how to manage their pitching staff they might be a dangerous team. What joke. Not even sure I can watch them embarrass themselves in the postseason. 

Shildt has been awful the last week. Keeps bringing in Miller when he clearly hasn’t had it. 2 games in a row the STL bullpen gave up a 7-spot in an inning. 

12 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I think the Indians caught the Twins on August 12th. Since that time they never were in first again and missed playoffs being 26 over .500

I wonder how many 90+ win teams have missed the playoffs since MLB went to 3 divisions in each league?

I know changes (especially in pro sports) have to happen but if all reports are true this will be Joe Maddon's final day with the Cubs. I'm in my 40's and I can say without hesitation Maddon is as good as manager or coach that Chicago has had during my life. I don't give much credit to Jackson.....not real tough to give the best athlete to ever play any sport the ball and say go do your thing.

Thank you Joe Maddon for our title. The greatest run we've ever experienced and in an ironic twist....raising the expectations that ultimately caused you to not being signed again. 

24 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I know changes (especially in pro sports) have to happen but if all reports are true this will be Joe Maddon's final day with the Cubs. I'm in my 40's and I can say without hesitation Maddon is as good as manager or coach that Chicago has had during my life. I don't give much credit to Jackson.....not real tough to give the best athlete to ever play any sport the ball and say go do your thing.

Thank you Joe Maddon for our title. The greatest run we've ever experienced and in an ironic twist....raising the expectations that ultimately caused you to not being signed again. 

It is a shame, but it happens.

Interesting rumor/trade idea floated yesterday. Bryant to Red Sox for Betts/Bradley Jr. Red Sox need to get under luxury tax and a Bryant/Cubs divorce is always possible. This would give Red Sox 2 year of control with Bryant and Cubs would get 1 year for the two I mentioned. 

Bradley Jr to Right, Mookie to Center, and sign Castellanos again and move him back to 3rd. Hadn't really thought of it much but was interesting idea. This would be purely a financial trade for Red Sox not an equal talent trade. 

30 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Interesting rumor/trade idea floated yesterday. Bryant to Red Sox for Betts/Bradley Jr. Red Sox need to get under luxury tax and a Bryant/Cubs divorce is always possible. This would give Red Sox 2 year of control with Bryant and Cubs would get 1 year for the two I mentioned. 

Bradley Jr to Right, Mookie to Center, and sign Castellanos again and move him back to 3rd. Hadn't really thought of it much but was interesting idea. This would be purely a financial trade for Red Sox not an equal talent trade. 

I read that the Bosox were going to slash salary.  Be interesting to see what moves they make while still trying to remain competitive.

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

BTW, I do understand that Molina was probably just trying to fire his team up, but my statement stands...

Not the first time I've seen his "paper tiger"  act...

He's a Card, so naturally we dislike him.  But IMO he is a sure fire HoFer.

9 minutes ago, rico said:

He's a Card, so naturally we dislike him.  But IMO he is a sure fire HoFer.

Oh I think he'll make it...I just get tired of the tough guy act.

If you get drilled, go to the mound and settle it. 

Getting grazed on the arm (on a pitch he didn't exactly break his neck trying to avoid) and then chirping on the way to first base, is a punk move...

We've had the "chip on the shoulder" type on the Cubs, too, in the past, and I didn't care for them either...

Archived