Guys we missed on.

rico

The talk in the Luke Brown thread got me to thinking.  What some of the misses were in IU history as far as landing in-state talent?  I think back to 1984 when my team mate made the Indiana All-Star team.  We got 2 guys from that team IIRC.  Delray Brooks and Kreigh Smith.  However Scott Haffner and Jeff Moe were on that team.  Haffner transferred from Illinois and became a stud at Evansville.  Moe scored over a 1,000 at Iowa.  This was in Knight's hey day.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, rico said:

The talk in the Luke Brown thread got me to thinking.  What some of the misses were in IU history as far as landing in-state talent?  I think back to 1984 when my team mate made the Indiana All-Star team.  We got 2 guys from that team IIRC.  Delray Brooks and Kreigh Smith.  However Scott Haffner and Jeff Moe were on that team.  Haffner transferred from Illinois and became a stud at Evansville.  Moe scored over a 1,000 at Iowa.  This was in Knight's hey day.

Eric Montross

Greg Oden

Mike Conley

Sean May

Gary Harris

Zac irvin

Just off of the top of my head

45 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Bryant McIntosh would have looked great in the candy stripes 

As much as I would’ve loved that, he was at the place he should’ve been.  I don’t think he could’ve made it at a higher profile school.  Seemed like the pressure got to him when he played IU, PU and some others.  I think he liked the chip on your shoulder type of thing at Northwestern.  Just my opinion.

14 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

As much as I would’ve loved that, he was at the place he should’ve been.  I don’t think he could’ve made it at a higher profile school.  Seemed like the pressure got to him when he played IU, PU and some others.  I think he liked the chip on your shoulder type of thing at Northwestern.  Just my opinion.

I think you are correct but from a selfish standpoint I would have loved that one.

1 hour ago, rico said:

By miss, do you mean someone we recruited but they went somewhere else for whatever reason (Harris, Oden, Conley, etc) or ones we didn't really recruit (McIntosh, etc)? I think of the former as "lost" and the latter as "passed on", so I wondered what you were thinking we you say "missed on". There's also the ones we got like Perrea, Holloway, etc that could be considered misses as well.

17 minutes ago, cybergates said:

By miss, do you mean someone we recruited but they went somewhere else for whatever reason (Harris, Oden, Conley, etc) or ones we didn't really recruit (McIntosh, etc)? I think of the former as "lost" and the latter as "passed on", so I wondered what you were thinking we you say "missed on". There's also the ones we got like Perrea, Holloway, etc that could be considered misses as well.

Guys that weren't offered.  My apologies, I should have clarified that.

44 minutes ago, Milehi Fan said:

Larry Bird May qualify

Really did not miss on him. He was ours, and even on campus, till Knight and Benson drove him away from IU, because of how they treated Larry.  Knight even admitted years later, it was one of his greatest mistakes to disrespect Larry. 

4 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Really did not miss on him. He was ours, and even on campus, till Knight and Benson drove him away from IU, because of how they treated Larry.  Knight even admitted years later, it was one of his greatest mistakes to disrespect Larry. 

Being disrespected by Knight or others on the IU team played straight into Larry Bird's world view. The smallest slight was huge in his mind. He was always the poor kid who needed to prove himself. I always loved him for that.

Archived