Ohio State Game Thread

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, iuthruandthru said:

This team can still make the tournament.  They have beat 3 of the top 16 teams per the projected seeds they just released.  Any offense at all and they win this.  The defense has been pretty good so far.  Time for them to pull it together and win the second half.

I agree but I just don’t see it happening.  This team just isn’t that good.  Is what it is.

1 minute ago, hoosiermd said:

Yes, but this is Indiana so.........

Davis, Morgan, Phin, Romeo, and Green.  Make Phin the primary ball handler and have Deron on block and Morgan in high post.  Get ball into interior, they are collapsing hard when the ball goes in the paint, then pass back out for a guard to shoot or attack the rim with defenders scrambling to recover.  And if they do not collapse, Morgan or Davis take their man and put up a shot.

I think that would be the most effective offense we could run right now.

Just now, IUCrazy2 said:

Davis, Morgan, Phin, Romeo, and Green.  Make Phin the primary ball handler and have Deron on block and Morgan in high post.  Get ball into interior, they are collapsing hard when the ball goes in the paint, then pass back out for a guard to shoot or attack the rim with defenders scrambling to recover.  And if they do not collapse, Morgan or Davis take their man and put up a shot.

I think that would be the most effective offense we could run right now.

Now that makes logical sense! No wonder we won't try it!

1 minute ago, StLHoosier said:

At this point, I want to see David at the 5 and Morgan at the 4 for a stretch.  Let’s see how that works out.

I think Coach Miller would love to have that be the case for 30+ minutes a game but isn't practical with Davis' conditioning yet.

Really wish Davis could play more minutes. One of the few kids who actually picks his head up and moves the ball to the right place.

Just now, Hoosierdave said:

I think Coach Miller would love to have that be the case for 30+ minutes a game but isn't practical with Davis' conditioning yet.

Really wish Davis could play more minutes. One of the few kids who actually picks his head up and moves the ball to the right place.

I think this is the answer. They are managing Davis back to health. It’s a fine line — slow walk his recovery too much and he won’t have any postseason to be in good shape for!

Things I don't understand:

- Why does Phinisee shoot the 3 he did, decently guarded, but not a bad look. The kind of 3 you want a shooter taking. But, not even think about shooting on two separate earlier possessions where they seemed like they were giving him the Smith treatment. 

- Going into the game you have to figure there is a decent chance they will leave Smith unguarded at the 3 point line. Seems to me that he should have specific instructions as to whether he should shoot or not. I don't necessarily hate the idea of having him shoot, but he caught the ball, seemed a little taken aback by being so open and felt like he needed to shoot rather than looking like he wanted to shoot. 

- How do we not make more aggressive off the ball cuts to the basket. We can't shoot, but we have to find a way to get shots: seems like that is how you do it. Our cuts are hesitant and without authority. 

I think we end up winning by 10.

1 minute ago, Hoosierdave said:

That's fine. Let Davis play what he can. Would rather have him defending Wesson than going up against a backup. Getting killed on the boards, need some size and rebounding

Just now, Indykev said:

Morgan and Davis will do us no good if we cant spread the floor with shooting. They are packed in the lane doubling both guys.

I want to adjust my lineup, I completely forgot about Durham.  Put him, Phin, and Romeo around Davis and Morgan.  Tell them that when that kick out comes, I want them to not be afraid to shoot.  If any one of then is not aggressive enough, bring in Green.

This is not pleasant to watch. You’ve got to be a diehard like us to sit through this with enthusiasm, although I don’t think even any of us would consider it “entertainment.”

I love Al Durham’s game.  

Phinisee needs to push it as well as Durham does.

Fingers crossed that Romeo is turning the corner with his shot.

Other guys go in a shell if they miss. C’mon Rob, you’ve got a nice jumper.  It’s ok you missed one, take the next. 

Justin’s entire game should be quick cuts to the basket where he catches and lays it in without a dribble. It doesn’t solve his lack of defense or motor but at least he can make those cuts and limiting him would be for the purpose of precluding him from trying to be a playmaker. You probably have a half time lead if he were elsewhere today. 

I think we are getting better with our defensive rotations.  Young team took until February in that regard.  

Archived