NBA Thread

5 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I think I'm getting this story right. John Wall has been recovering from bone spurs and he apparently slipped in his home and ruptured his Achilles. Out for at least a full year. Supermax starts on contract I believe next year....owed roughly $165M guaranteed over next 4 years.

The Wizards are such a disaster. Mostly self-inflicted by bad decisions (re-signing Otto Porter to a max deal), but man they've been unlucky too. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

I think I'm getting this story right. John Wall has been recovering from bone spurs and he apparently slipped in his home and ruptured his Achilles. Out for at least a full year. Supermax starts on contract I believe next year....owed roughly $165M guaranteed over next 4 years.

Wizards might as well blow it up and flip Beal for picks.  Wall is done.

Brad Turner now saying the Lakers have pulled out of the Anthony Davis amid "outrageous" requests by Pelicans.

Woj is saying that the Lakers are still glad to engage with the Pelicans on an AD trade, but no longer want to bid against themselves.

Says the Lakers are waiting for Pelicans to make a counter-proposal on their most recent offer.

15 minutes ago, KDB said:

Brad Turner now saying the Lakers have pulled out of the Anthony Davis amid "outrageous" requests by Pelicans.

Woj is saying that the Lakers are still glad to engage with the Pelicans on an AD trade, but no longer want to bid against themselves.

Says the Lakers are waiting for Pelicans to make a counter-proposal on their most recent offer.

Sounds like normal trade negotiations. Next couple of days are going to be fun.

29 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Pacers fans chanting "Lebron's going to trade you" while Brandon Ingram shoots free throws.  

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/lakers/2019/02/05/brandon-ingram-lebron-james-trade-rumor-chant/2783695002/

Just got back. Awesome time. 46 point win worst of Lebron's career and judging by their effort and bench....Lakers just waiting for trade deadline. Looked like they could care less. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, KDB said:

Had to turn the Lakers game off after the first half. Painful to watch.

Yeah, with the front office offering up basically everyone not named LeBron and it being all over the Web, can't expect it not to affect the players. Lakers next year will probably look a lot different, question is just with whom.

23 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Sixers picking up Tobias Harris is a pretty solid move. Harris is a very good player, Sixers just got better.

But did you see how much they gave up?  Sounds like the final deal was Harris, Boban Marjanovic, and Mike Scott for Wilson Chandler, Mike Muscala, Landry Shamet, and the Sixers’ first round picks in 2020 and 2021 and second round picks in 2021 and 2023.  The 2020 first is lottery protected, and the 2021 first is totally unprotected.  

That is a ridiculous amount of players/picks to give up for a borderline all-star who is about to hit free agency this summer... And for what?  To lose in the second round?  A “Big 4” of Butler, Simmons, Harris, and Embiid isn’t winning anything meaningful.

3 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

But did you see how much they gave up?  Sounds like the final deal was Harris, Boban Marjanovic, and Mike Scott for Wilson Chandler, Mike Muscala, Landry Shamet, and the Sixers’ first round picks in 2020 and 2021 and second round picks in 2021 and 2023.  The 2020 first is lottery protected, and the 2021 first is totally unprotected.  

That is a ridiculous amount of players/picks to give up for a borderline all-star who is about to hit free agency this summer... And for what?  To lose in the second round?  A “Big 4” of Butler, Simmons, Harris, and Embiid isn’t winning anything meaningful.

Yeah, they gave up a ton for Tobias Harris. 

The Sixers now have on paper a great starting five (though I still question how ball dominant everyone is), but they have no bench whatsoever. Wonder if they'll try and move Markelle Fultz for bench help?

Edited by BGleas

42 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Yeah they definitely gave up a lot. I think it still makes them better, and depth in the playoffs is not important as the lead guys get the bulk of time, but yes they do have some depth questions

The 76ers are banking on a deep run in the playoffs(Eastern Finals or NBA Finals) after this trade.  I have heard reports of Butler is planning to walk in the offseason.  Only way he stays is if they make it to the ECF or NBA Finals.  There bench will be atrocious, only legitimate guy still there is Redick.  If I were the 76ers, I'd try and flip Redick for two role players to come off the bench.  The 76ers will get beat in the playoffs cause of their weak bench.     

IMO I think the Pacers will stand pat at the trade deadline and lean on the development of Sumner and Holiday for the remainder of the season.  There are rumblings that Bojan and Pacers have interest in resigning in the offseason so you are looking at a core group of Vic, Bojan(assuming they resign him), Myles, Sabonis, Leaf, Holiday and Sumner that would be impactful players next season.  This leaves a hole for a starting PG(my guess is a return of DC especially with his comments relating to becoming a mentor type role for Aaron) a starting PF(no idea who this would be) and a bench SG(no idea).  I would be fine with Holiday/FA Signing/Sumner/Leaf/Sabonis coming off the bench with Vic/Bojan/Myles as starters leaving two holes to fill. 

I know Vic may not be back at beginning of season but the free agent SG we sign during summer could fill that void or Sumner could slide in(if he continues to improve)

Edited by dwtaylor1055

20 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

IMO I think the Pacers will stand pat at the trade deadline and lean on the development of Sumner and Holiday for the remainder of the season.  There are rumblings that Bojan and Pacers have interest in resigning in the offseason so you are looking at a core group of Vic, Bojan(assuming they resign him), Myles, Sabonis, Leaf, Holiday and Sumner that would be impactful players next season.  This leaves a hole for a starting PG(my guess is a return of DC especially with his comments relating to becoming a mentor type role for Aaron) a starting PF(no idea who this would be) and a bench SG(no idea).  I would be fine with Holiday/FA Signing/Sumner/Leaf/Sabonis coming off the bench with Vic/Bojan/Myles as starters leaving two holes to fill. 

I know Vic may not be back at beginning of season but the free agent SG we sign during summer could fill that void or Sumner could slide in(if he continues to improve)

Yeah it sounds (per unsubstantiated reports) that the P's really want to keep Bojan and consider him part of their future. I think one of Sabonis or Turner at some point will be available. Both are good, but whether the P's need both, or what they could get in return for one of them, I think is up for thought/movement. As the P's were in the Conley talks, tend to think they'll keep looking for a legit point guard addition.

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Yeah they definitely gave up a lot. I think it still makes them better, and depth in the playoffs is not important as the lead guys get the bulk of time, but yes they do have some depth questions

I hear what you're saying, as starters do play more minutes in the playoffs, but depth definitely matters as well. Guys get into foul trouble in the playoffs, guys get hurt, etc., and with the other teams starters playing more minutes you need quality guys off the bench to produce in the minutes they do get. It might not matter much in the first round, but if Philly is playing Boston, Toronto or Milwaukee in the second round it will matter, and will definitely matter if they are able to advance to the ECF. 

I'll use the Celtics as an example since I know their roster best, but there will be playoff games where Al Horford gets in foul trouble, but the Celtics will be able to bring Aaron Baynes off the bench. He's no Horford, but he plays good D, rebounds and can knock down open 3's. They'll have playoff games where maybe Kyrie has to sit because of an ankle or something or maybe foul trouble, and the Celtics will be able to turn to Terry Rozier, etc. The Sixers, at least now, will not have that luxury or margin of error. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Do not underestimate what Thad Young means to the team.  I, for one, hope he is back.