NBA Thread

9 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I see what you’re saying, but Boston ain’t a small market team, lol.  I feel like it will be nearly impossible to stop the players from arranging these things themselves, but it does present a difficult issue.  Bottom line is, in the current system, small market teams need to provide superstar players with what they need to compete for championships.

Davis was in New Orleans for 7 years of his prime, and they never once put a championship level team around him.  So now he wants out.  One way to prevent this would maybe be to allow teams to void guaranteed money on a player’s contract if they force their way out.  But I doubt the players would agree to that in the next CBA.

Khawi got paid full salary last year.  Now that is b.s.  

Stern once voided a Chris Paul trade.  If the investigation finds tampering, I’d rule that Davis is forbidden to be traded to the Lakers.  I doubt the league could get away with forbidding him to sign with the Lakers but maybe there is power given to the commissioner in that regard, if they find tampering.  The sad thing is I don’t think the league minds, and may actually want, the Lakers to get Davis.  They’ve won ten titles since 1980 and having them do well has been good for business.  

But, in the NFL, every small market has a chance to win, and no one thinks otherwise.  We will see about the NBA which seems to like the big market teams collecting stars.  The league’s calculation is that’s better even if it means letting small markets feel like it’s stacked against them (which takes the fun out of it for small market fans).  

If somehow the value of a small market team went down because the interest level is down, that would motivate change but it’s highly unlikely that would even change. 

The NBA’s trend is up big time, whereas the NFL has long term structural issues.  It won’t happen overnight, but the NFL may see it’s peak in the next generation.  Real Sports did a story on how statistics show that football is becoming a gladiator sport (poor and uneducated kids play, rich and educated kids watch).  Malcolm Gladwell argued that it won’t be socially accepted to be a football fan a generation from now.  All of this is good for the NBA over the long term.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 5

7 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

NBA needs a hard cap and needs to up their game when tampering becomes involved.  I think a few games suspended for being found guilty on tampering from players would work and a loss of draft picks if owners or GM's are caught tampering(aka Magic Johnson). 

All the NBA cares about is the big markets and the star players.  You will never convince me that the 85 draft lottery was not rigged for the Knicks to get Ewing.

• Like 2

So with the current roster without Vic, my guess is we end up the fifth seed entering the playoffs.  All other four teams ahead of us we are not better than, yes we have a chance to win a first round matchup but will be very very difficult.  Only way to get a potential all star to this team sooner rather than later(drafting and that player becomes an all star maybe in 3 or 4 years) is via trade.  However what would we have to give up to get one?  I love Sabonis to death but in all honesty he is our best prospect outside of Myles and Vic and he's only making like $3 million per year or close to it.  So assuming Vic returns next season and back to an all star level during the season at some point, would Victor, Myles and a potential all star(SF or PF) be enough to make a run in the east?  I do not know that answer. 

To get an all star(I would prefer a SF or PF in return) I think we would have to offer something along the lines of Sabonis/1st rd pick/expiring contract.  Would this be enough? Who knows. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

All the NBA cares about is the big markets and the star players.  You will never convince me that the 85 draft lottery was not rigged for the Knicks to get Ewing.

You will also never convince me that when the Shaq/Kobe Lakers played the Kings and Blazers in the Western Conference Finals that those series weren't rigged as well. The Kings series especially. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

So with the current roster without Vic, my guess is we end up the fifth seed entering the playoffs.  All other four teams ahead of us we are not better than, yes we have a chance to win a first round matchup but will be very very difficult.  Only way to get a potential all star to this team sooner rather than later(drafting and that player becomes an all star maybe in 3 or 4 years) is via trade.  However what would we have to give up to get one?  I love Sabonis to death but in all honesty he is our best prospect outside of Myles and Vic and he's only making like $3 million per year or close to it.  So assuming Vic returns next season and back to an all star level during the season at some point, would Victor, Myles and a potential all star(SF or PF) be enough to make a run in the east?  I do not know that answer. 

To get an all star(I would prefer a SF or PF in return) I think we would have to offer something along the lines of Sabonis/1st rd pick/expiring contract.  Would this be enough? Who knows. 

As is, imo, you hold par with the big 3 and let those 2 develop more while Vic is healing up and go all in on 2020-21.  Will Holiday be good enough to be the lead point by then?  Bojan is about to turn 28, he's versatile, tough,  can shoot.  Probably need another guy that can do Reddick things from outside and hope Turner and Sabonis are the best front court tandem in the league.  

Edited by NotIThatLives
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Khawi got paid full salary last year.  Now that is b.s.  

Yep, the problem with the super-max contract that was designed to help keep stars in small markets is that players have realized they can sign the contract, lock in the guaranteed money, and then just force their way out later.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Yep, the problem with the super-max contract that was designed to help keep stars in small markets is that players have realized they can sign the contract, lock in the guaranteed money, and then just force their way out later.

In the end, it allows the small markets to keep their star players but at what cost?  It puts the small market teams in a bind where they as an organization do not want to tie up that much money across multiple players or even across three players at say $25 mill per player.  Wizards are a prime example, Wall is going to make $38.5 mill next season, while he is an All Star when healthy the team only has roughly $70 mill left to spend IF and only IF they do not enter the luxury tax.  Meanwhile, the Warriors can enter the luxury tax by a wide margin, make enough revenue throughout the playoffs to offset that cost/penalty for being in the luxury tax and keep doing the same thing year in and year out while bringing in rings.  

Edited by dwtaylor1055

3 hours ago, BGleas said:

You will also never convince me that when the Shaq/Kobe Lakers played the Kings and Blazers in the Western Conference Finals that those series weren't rigged as well. The Kings series especially. 

I also don't think it was coincidence that the Cavs had the #1 pick when Labron was in the draft and well as the Bulls getting the #1 pick when Derrick Rose was in the draft. 

• Like 1

Not sure if AD on the Lakers is even the super team you might initially think of them becoming. Depending on what happens with trades/free agency, the lakers seem to be willing to move a lot of pieces to bring AD this season instead of 2020. AD is a phenomenal player no doubt, but he also misses ~20 games a season or more from injuries -- which has destroyed what roster the Lakers already do have this year. As unremarkable as I think Ball and Ingram are, they might miss players like that over the course of a season if AD sits out or the team doesn't mesh well.

The team I think would be reeeeeally interesting for AD to sign with would be the rockets, but thankfully this isn't even an option because of the money they threw at Chris Paul. Even the bucks would be a better spot for him competitively speaking than LA in my opinion. 

Edited by Bushmage

4 minutes ago, Bushmage said:

Not sure if AD on the Lakers is even the super team you might initially think of them becoming. Depending on what happens with trades/free agency, the lakers seem to be willing to move a lot of pieces to bring AD this season instead of 2020. AD is a phenomenal player no doubt, but he also misses ~20 games a season or more from injuries -- which has destroyed what roster the Lakers already do have this year.

As unremarkable as I think Ball and Ingram are, they might miss players like that over the course of a season if AD sits out or the team doesn't mesh well.

LeBron carried hot garbage to the NBA finals. He plus the Brow would be lethal.

• Like 1

Just now, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

LeBron carried hot garbage to the NBA finals. He plus the Brow would be lethal.

You are right, but I don't know how much longer I trust LeBron to do traditional LeBron things with any roster. I'm sure I will eat my words because he is a robot of a human, but so far he's missed a good amount of games and his regular season coasting combined with what the lakers may mortgage to get AD might not move them up much higher in the West.

Mostly just playing devils advocate though, I think in almost any scenario you make the move to secure AD.

36 minutes ago, KDB said:

If I am the Pelicans, do this in a heartbeat.  They have said to see star potential in Lonzo, win him over with the remaining 3 years or so on his contract, plus I think Ingram can be a good starter, Kuzma I feel the same as I do with Ingram and Zubac has really flashed lately.  Flip Jrue(to my Pacers) and flip Randle for young assets.  The pelicans I THINK would be good in 2 years I think. 

1 hour ago, Bushmage said:

You are right, but I don't know how much longer I trust LeBron to do traditional LeBron things with any roster. I'm sure I will eat my words because he is a robot of a human, but so far he's missed a good amount of games and his regular season coasting combined with what the lakers may mortgage to get AD might not move them up much higher in the West.

Mostly just playing devils advocate though, I think in almost any scenario you make the move to secure AD.

If they were to go through with this deal the deal this year would be essentially toast anyway. Unibrow and LeBron is great, but the Lakers would be gutted for this season, those two can't do it alone. Next year though, 34-35 or not, Lakers would be a favorite to take down the Warriors.

1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

Knicks just took themselves out of the ad talk I wonder what Vegas is saying now?

they are going after Irving and Durant during offseason with now TWO max contract slots!  More than likey going to buy out Wes Mathews and Jordan. 

BUT Luka and Kristops together in Dallas?  OH MY LAWD!  They need one more all start type player and they are a top 5 team for years to come.

• Like 3