NBA Thread

2 minutes ago, rico said:

Didn't the same sort of thing happen to/with George Mikan?  

I think you are correct. I know that Shaq paid all funeral expenses. Outside of that I vaguely remember some financial issues. Not sure how severe they were. Unfortunately seems to be more of the norm than the exception to those ABA stars

16 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I think you are correct. I know that Shaq paid all funeral expenses. Outside of that I vaguely remember some financial issues. Not sure how severe they were. Unfortunately seems to be more of the norm than the exception to those ABA stars

The NBA union doesn't recognize ABA players?

38 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Great win last night for the Celts, impressive that they won going away even in a game where Steph got some help from Klay.

If Poole or Wiggins can’t step up to be threats on offense it’s hard to see the Warriors getting back in this thing. 

It was a really great win, and while he's been solid, we haven't had a "Tatum game" yet. Fingers crossed it's the next one. Hopefully Steph's foot is ok, this next game is the only one with a 48 hour turnaround. 

Ime Udoka also made a big adjustment that isn't getting talked about. In both the 1st and 3rd quarters he took Rob Williams out 3 minutes into the half for Derrick White. 

It wasn't about anything Williams was doing wrong, it was about shortening the rotation and being able to bring Williams back in later for Horford instead of having to go to Theis. Theis is a good dude, but he's been awful all playoffs. 

Game 4 is fascinating to me. Obviously, the Warriors backs are against the wall a bit. Will they come out like they did in Game 2 and just be super physical, and will Draymond muck the game up like he did in Game 2? Will we see the heart of a champion carry them to a big win to even the series?

Conversely, the Celtics have really struggled to follow up good playoff wins. For most of the last 3 series they'll win a huge game and then follow it up with a dud. 

Will this be a turning point? One of those "Finals moments" where an ascending team realizes their moment and puts a stranglehold on the series against a proven team. 

Just a lot going on. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, BGleas said:

Agree, at this point if the Celtics win Brown is the MVP. But, if Tatum has one of his dominant games like Game 6 in Milwaukee then that could change. 

For the Warriors, absolutely no chance anyone other than Curry wins it if they win the series. They almost can't even take Curry out of the game. 

I think they will give it to Tatum regardless. Nba is ready to elevate him to star platinum status. Always looking for new faces of the league…and long term Tatum is going to be that…so they will want to use this as a spring board. They already see the mistake they made by not giving it to Curry in 15…Iggy played well but let’s be real..he didn’t slow Lebron down in the least…Lebron was like a 35 pt triple double machine. Curry made that engine go….and now that is not on his resume.

Edited by dgambill

10 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Great win last night for the Celts, impressive that they won going away even in a game where Steph got some help from Klay.

If Poole or Wiggins can’t step up to be threats on offense it’s hard to see the Warriors getting back in this thing. 

Need help across the board…Draymond though….geez. Remember in 2016 when he lead all scorers twice in the finals….26 and 32 points…triple double threat….now he is a  triple single threat. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BGleas said:

It was a really great win, and while he's been solid, we haven't had a "Tatum game" yet. Fingers crossed it's the next one. Hopefully Steph's foot is ok, this next game is the only one with a 48 hour turnaround. 

Ime Udoka also made a big adjustment that isn't getting talked about. In both the 1st and 3rd quarters he took Rob Williams out 3 minutes into the half for Derrick White. 

It wasn't about anything Williams was doing wrong, it was about shortening the rotation and being able to bring Williams back in later for Horford instead of having to go to Theis. Theis is a good dude, but he's been awful all playoffs. 

When Williams is healthy (which isn’t often) he is a game changer for Boston. Totally set the tone last night and shut down the lane. It was huge.

20 hours ago, BGleas said:

While Tatum hasn't been dominant in this series, and he has the poor shooting game one, I do think he's been pretty good. 

He's been strong defensively and with the Warriors basically double teaming a lot of the time, he's averaging over 8 apg in the series. 

I think GS doubling off the ball screen over all is a good strategy if they get Steph or Poole switched off on Tatum or Brown…rest have guarded pretty good straight up…that said Boston made smart plays and the support cast played excellent. I think that is all GS can do…hope Boston presses and turns it over or the reserves miss shots but so far Boston has executed. Not sure there are many answers for GS unless they just go off from 3 and Boston relaxes and turns the ball over. Boston has played some of the best basketball I’ve seen in awhile as far as playing both ends. They’ve gotten better each series….I don’t see them reverting back now.

20 hours ago, dgambill said:

I think GS doubling off the ball screen over all is a good strategy if they get Steph or Poole switched off on Tatum or Brown…rest have guarded pretty good straight up…that said Boston made smart plays and the support cast played excellent. I think that is all GS can do…hope Boston presses and turns it over or the reserves miss shots but so far Boston has executed. Not sure there are many answers for GS unless they just go off from 3 and Boston relaxes and turns the ball over. Boston has played some of the best basketball I’ve seen in awhile as far as playing both ends. They’ve gotten better each series….I don’t see them reverting back now.

Completely agree. Playing Tatum especially, and Brown as well straight up won't work. 

GS wins when they double Brown/Tatum and force them into turnovers or the "others" into bad shots and/or misses. 

I'd expect Draymond to come out incredibly physical tonight, so how he's officiated will be a major factor. 

I'm also expecting Kerr to adjust his lineup tonight and give Kominga and/or Moody some minutes. I could see one of those young guys coming in and making an impact. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

Completely agree. Playing Tatum especially, and Brown as well straight up won't work. 

GS wins when they double Brown/Tatum and force them into turnovers or the "others" into bad shots and/or misses. 

I'd expect Draymond to come out incredibly physical tonight, so how he's officiated will be a major factor. 

I'm also expecting Kerr to adjust his lineup tonight and give Kominga and/or Moody some minutes. I could see one of those young guys coming in and making an impact. 

Must win for the Celtics tonight.  If GS pulls it out, the series belongs to them.  😎

• Haha 1

Just now, KoB2011 said:

Really great finish to the half for the Celts when it looked like the Dubs were about to take control heading into the half. 

They’ve had an answer for every Warrior run. Brad Stevens built a perfect team. Getting rid of Schroeder this year…bring in White. Getting rid of Waker and bringing back Horford. Brilliant moves.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I’m going to say this like I did about Lebron in 15 in a losing effort. Steph Curry is the mvp of the finals. Without him it wouldn’t even be a series and he has been by far the best player on the floor. Pretty special stuff.

I'm a Steph fan, always have been! No doubt. I love watching him play. He was robbed of the Finals MVP in '15. 

But no, if the Celtics win he isn’t the MVP. Jaylen Brown has had two separate "moments" in this series that have been incredibly impactful to winning. The 4th quarter of Game 1 and the 1st quarter of Game 3 so far. Tatum also, while not having an iconic moment yet, has been really, really good. 

Steph has been really good, but at the same time he was nonexistent in the 4th quarters of the two games that the Warriors have lost. 

He hasn't been 'that' great. 

I love Brown no doubt he deserves it as well….but even without him I think this is a close series. Steph has to initiate EVERYTHING for his team. Carrying them with no real help. Brown plays off Tatum a lot so it’s like 1A and 1b. Just saying which it won’t happen but even in a loss he is what makes these games even remotely close….and yes has been the best player on the floor. 4 th has been bad because he sits to start the 4th and they have either been blown out by then or they blew out the Celtics. Plus he is exhausted. But more my point is he is the most impactful/valuable player in the series…because he has effected the ball games the most over any one player in the series.

• Like 1