NBA Thread

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

He has 1 year left and that would be the going rate for him if you extended him.  Gorbert is making 39 mil and he is a one dimensional player just like Turner

Trade him…use him as salary filler to take on a bad contract….move him at the deadline….can still sign and trade if you even keep him….or let him walk…who cares? Just let him expire….no one is dumb enough to extend him at 25 million…at least I hope not. If we did….well it would be time to stop being a Pacer fan.

• Like 1

Just now, dgambill said:

Why did we take Goga with the 18th pick if not to play him? Theis is more than serviceable. We are talking past each other. Who cares who starts at the 5….the point is to lose. Do you think the Spurs are losing sleep because they traded their stud young all-star guard and worried about who will start in the backcourt. I think we have opposing objectives. I want to run out the kids and let them develop and hopefully lose games…you seem to want to make the play in tournament. We just disagree.

And Ayton would be part of the young group.  I don't want to go through another 25 win season and if Theis ir Goga is your center I will be pissed.  You act like with Ayton is is a win now deal but it would be for the future as well.  My objective is for the Pacers to be a contender in a few years and to me the best way is to get the best players possible and to me Ayton would be that. If all we would have to give up is Turner and maybe the Celtics pick we got that would be a great deal. We still would have two first round picks next year and one probably be a lottery pick 

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Why did we take Goga with the 18th pick if not to play him? Theis is more than serviceable. We are talking past each other. Who cares who starts at the 5….the point is to lose. Do you think the Spurs are losing sleep because they traded their stud young all-star guard and worried about who will start in the backcourt. I think we have opposing objectives. I want to run out the kids and let them develop and hopefully lose games…you seem to want to make the play in tournament. We just disagree.

As for Goga that was a horrible pick and shouldn't have been a first round picks.  Just like taking guys like Plumlee or the kid from UCLA we picked a few years ago.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

And Ayton would be part of the young group.  I don't want to go through another 25 win season and if Theis ir Goga is your center I will be pissed.  You act like with Ayton is is a win now deal but it would be for the future as well.  My objective is for the Pacers to be a contender in a few years and to me the best way is to get the best players possible and to me Ayton would be that. If all we would have to give up is Turner and maybe the Celtics pick we got that would be a great deal. We still would have two first round picks next year and one probably be a lottery pick 

Cool…we just disagree on how to rebuild the Pacers. I’m more than happy to gather draft capital like OKC has done while taking multiple top 5 picks for a few years. I’m fine losing games with the young pups. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Cool…we just disagree on how to rebuild the Pacers. I’m more than happy to gather draft capital like OKC has done while taking multiple top 5 picks for a few years. I’m fine losing games with the young pups. 

If all we have to give up is the Celtics pick which probably be in the late 20's that is not much to give up in your draft capital. More than likely someone pick that late won't be a game changer 

11 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

If all we have to give up is the Celtics pick which probably be in the late 20's that is not much to give up in your draft capital. More than likely someone pick that late won't be a game changer 

The only way we are picking in top 5 is if we tank…and hopefully having those 2-3 other picks could help us land the exact player we want…or at least package to move up for a second lottery pick. After that point I would hope we have a franchise player on this roster and would be ok using cap to sign a guy like Ayton or another player (hopefully a wing)….but if we start winning now to the point where we end up with 15-20th pick (playin team) which we could be with Ayton then well I don’t see us ever landing that franchise player capable of getting us back to the ECF and shot at NBA finals.

8 hours ago, dgambill said:

The only way we are picking in top 5 is if we tank…and hopefully having those 2-3 other picks could help us land the exact player we want…or at least package to move up for a second lottery pick. After that point I would hope we have a franchise player on this roster and would be ok using cap to sign a guy like Ayton or another player (hopefully a wing)….but if we start winning now to the point where we end up with 15-20th pick (playin team) which we could be with Ayton then well I don’t see us ever landing that franchise player capable of getting us back to the ECF and shot at NBA finals.

Agree here.  If we can be in the top 6 next year and move Clevelands and Bostons 1st plus maybe even another 24 1st rd pick to move into the top 5 for next year sign me up for only winning 25 or 30 games next season.

Hield should gardner a 1st rd pick at the deadline or heck anytime really.  Next years class is loaded.  I will be somewhat disappointed if we end up in a multi team trade deal and we send out a 1st rd pick.  

I will say, if we have Hali, Mathurin, Duarte, Jackson, Ayton and end up with two top 6/7 lottery picks next season wow that's a heck of a young core

• Like 1

17 hours ago, dgambill said:

I think he was the best player available at 6….but best in class…what have you seen that he looks better than any of the 5 taken ahead of him. Summer league I’ve seen I’ve been happy but he has a ton of work to do. Nothing screams he is best in this draft though.

He is scoring so easily and efficiently. The only two rookies scoring more per game than him are Murray and Banchero, and they’re both doing it in significantly more minutes and with less efficiency. 

• Like 1

Per The Ringer:

Eleven months after he became eligible for his rookie extension, and nearly two weeks after the start of free agency, Deandre Ayton—the no. 1 pick in the 2018 NBA draft, and the league’s top restricted free agent—is still waiting for that bag that Chris Paul was so certain Deandre would be getting.

After Phoenix’s disastrous exit from the playoffs at the hands of Luka Doncic’s Mavericks, Suns general manager James Jones expressed interest in hanging on to his starting center. “I know it’s a big question, a topic everybody wants to talk about, but I’ve said before and I’ll say it again: DA is a tremendous part of what we do,” Jones told reporters last month. “We want to keep this team together.”

That desire comes with some cost constraints attached, though. The Suns balked last fall at offering Ayton the five-year maximum-salaried extension of his rookie-scale contract, preferring instead to let him join the injury-plagued Greg Oden as just the second former no. 1 pick in the lottery era to enter restricted free agency. Since then, the Suns have declined to offer him a deal of their own, letting him seek his fortune elsewhere—perhaps because, as NBA.com’s John Schuhmann notes, they went 18-6 without Ayton last season, and outscored opponents by nearly 17 points per 100 possessions in the minutes Paul and Devin Booker played without Ayton. And so, while the Suns built up the depth behind Ayton—re-signing Bismack Biyombo, trading for ex-Spurs backup Jock Landale—Ayton, again, played the waiting game.

I have been on the road driving to Fort Wayne and got two alerts. First said Ayton agreed to the offer sheet and second that Suns would probably match it.  I was listening to JNV and he had a writer from Phoenix and he didn't think they would match it and he thought nitbead a great move for the Pacers.

So did he actually sign.the offer sheet or can they still do a sign and trade.

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I have been on the road driving to Fort Wayne and got two alerts. First said Ayton agreed to the offer sheet and second that Suns would probably match it.  I was listening to JNV and he had a writer from Phoenix and he didn't think they would match it and he thought nitbead a great move for the Pacers.

So did he actually sign.the offer sheet or can they still do a sign and trade.

Deandre Ayton and the Indiana Pacers have agreed to a four-year, $133 million max offer sheet, his agent told ESPN, which was later confirmed by CBS Sports' Bill Reiter. The Phoenix Suns, Ayton's original team, will have 48 hours to decide whether or not they are willing to match the offer from the moment he signs it. As that clock does not start until midnight, the Suns and Pacers still have a few hours to try to work out a sign and trade before he inks the deal.

• Like 1

I guess the Suns have 3 options

1) lose him for nothing

2) do a sign and trade and get something

3) sign him and can't trade him so they have little chance to get Durant.  Also it sounds like Ayton doesn't want to stay so they will have to repair that relationship.

Edited by IU Scott

29 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I feel like their is some serious bluffing going on. It’ll be interesting to see what happens come midnight. 

It really depends how much the Pacers really want him, right? Suns could get more for him if they resigned him and kept him until January. If I were the Pacers, I wouldn't give up more than Turner. The best imaginable scenario would be if they do not match, then you could trade Turner for more assets. Turner is gone regardless. There's no way he's coming back after this. So my guess is the Pacers probably have another trade lined up if they don't trade Turner to the Suns. 

Edited by OGIUAndy

41 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

It really depends how much the Pacers really want him, right? Suns could get more for him if they resigned him and kept him until January. If I were the Pacers, I wouldn't give up more than Turner. The best imaginable scenario would be if they do not match, then you could trade Turner for more assets. Turner is gone regardless. There's no way he's coming back after this. So my guess is the Pacers probably have another trade lined up if they don't trade Turner to the Suns. 

If the Suns plan is to match then trade him later they will show why they’re a never has been of a franchise.

This is one of the best stretches they’ve ever had and they’re going to screw around and play games. Either commit to Ayton (they’ve been unwilling to do so) or go get KD. 

5 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

If the Suns plan is to match then trade him later they will show why they’re a never has been of a franchise.

This is one of the best stretches they’ve ever had and they’re going to screw around and play games. Either commit to Ayton (they’ve been unwilling to do so) or go get KD. 

Don't disagree. That being said, the Pacers should not fall for the Suns bluff. If Simon does this crony BS, then the Pacers are just as much a never has been franchise as anyone. Pacers need to be shrewd. This idea of helping another owner is ridiculous.

Edited by OGIUAndy
  • Like 1