NBA Thread

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Funny the Sun's last year thought he wasn't worth signing the extension but now they do

Not to be the I told you do guy but I told you they would match. This was the only play the Pacers could make, they called the Bluff and the Sun's were not willing to let him go for nothing 

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

Phoenix won’t let Ayton walk for nothing. Worst case scenario we’ve now opened up more cap space for a trade involving Mitchell or Durant.

This is a really confusing post from you - you've kinda ragged on Ayton now you're sitting here saying this? Which is it?

You don't give a guy a max contact you've seen up close for four years without being willing to do it and thinking he is worth it - so the Suns have proven all they were doing is being the Suns and fracturing a relationship with their future. 

Suns tried to fleece Ayton and the league and honestly probably have hurt themselves long term. Typical. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Indykev said:

I would be asking GM KP why he couldnt get a sign and trade done knowing the Suns were going to match. The offer was a show for the fans, look, Herb Simon got off his dead ass and blew the dust off of some cash. Dont be fooled, Herb loves his money, it was all a show.

I think it's more like the Suns know exactly what they have in Ayton and were trying to get him for a discount. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I think it's more like the Suns know exactly what they have in Ayton and were trying to get him for a discount. 

by doing this and letting him sign with another team, they got Ayton at a 4 year deal at $132ish mil as opposed to a 5 year max deal at approx. $160 mil, thus reducing the "commitment", I believe the Ps did this with Hibbert or something very similar when Portland matched.  Phoenix is a small market team, they have a small window of opportunity for a championship.  In year 3 or 4 of Aytons deal, I highly doubt they'll be contending in the WCFs again.  All assuming they don't get Durant.

Ayton would have been nice and expedite the rebuild, however, the asking price from suns that I saw from NBA insiders were both Cleveland and Boston 2023 1st rd pick AND Turner.  No way do you do that.  I think the writing is on the wall, Turner is gone either before start of season or at trade deadline.  I'd like for the Ps to get at least one more 1st rd pick, especially for next years draft in return for Turner.  3 1st rd picks would be enough to trade up into the lottery along with our currently lottery projected pick.  Now, bring Hield into the equation and I think you try for a 2024 1st rd pick and that'll give you two 1sts for that draft.  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, 5fouls said:

No.  Not unless he personally is ready to move on.

I hope you're right. I'm not so sure though. Someone will probably scoop him up for the minimum, but he's a non-shooting big who has played more than 50 games only once since 2016-17. 

19 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I hope you're right. I'm not so sure though. Someone will probably scoop him up for the minimum, but he's a non-shooting big who has played more than 50 games only once since 2016-17. 

I had to look it up...but according to B-R Cody has pocketed a paltry 76 mil playing pro ball.

• Haha 1

I’ll be curious to see what the Pacers do now. I would look for them to possibly deal Turner to acquire another asset of some kind and possibly make a trade or two acquiring a bad expiring contract with some assets attached. Then have their cap space again next off season. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

by doing this and letting him sign with another team, they got Ayton at a 4 year deal at $132ish mil as opposed to a 5 year max deal at approx. $160 mil, thus reducing the "commitment", I believe the Ps did this with Hibbert or something very similar when Portland matched.  Phoenix is a small market team, they have a small window of opportunity for a championship.  In year 3 or 4 of Aytons deal, I highly doubt they'll be contending in the WCFs again.  All assuming they don't get Durant.

Ayton would have been nice and expedite the rebuild, however, the asking price from suns that I saw from NBA insiders were both Cleveland and Boston 2023 1st rd pick AND Turner.  No way do you do that.  I think the writing is on the wall, Turner is gone either before start of season or at trade deadline.  I'd like for the Ps to get at least one more 1st rd pick, especially for next years draft in return for Turner.  3 1st rd picks would be enough to trade up into the lottery along with our currently lottery projected pick.  Now, bring Hield into the equation and I think you try for a 2024 1st rd pick and that'll give you two 1sts for that draft.  

Bingo

• Like 1

11 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

This is a really confusing post from you - you've kinda ragged on Ayton now you're sitting here saying this? Which is it?

You don't give a guy a max contact you've seen up close for four years without being willing to do it and thinking he is worth it - so the Suns have proven all they were doing is being the Suns and fracturing a relationship with their future. 

Suns tried to fleece Ayton and the league and honestly probably have hurt themselves long term. Typical. 

They didn’t want to commit 5 years at the max to him. They also thought that they could use him as a trade chip in a sign and trade. They know he is a good player…I know he is a good player (just a bad timing fit for Pacers) but likely they didn’t want to commit max dollars for 5 years…maybe even 4. They almost got through the whole offseason with no one offering him as well…they rolled the dice and they lost but they weren’t going to let him walk for nothing…that would be idiotic. The problem is the Pacers had nothing they wanted in a sign and trade that they could then flip in a KD deal (minus a ton of picks from us that we were never going to move off).

Ayton will be just fine now that he is paid and will even be trade eligible at the trade deadline if the relationship is untenable. I’m not going to say this is the smartest move by the Suns in how they handled this but it’s the move they made. There is enough evidence to suggest they questioned his work ethic and decision making to gamble this year (64 win season and championship favorites) to keep him motivated for a future pay day then to give him money last offseason and risk he would slack and cost them their chip. In hindsight it doesn’t look smart but it’s how they played it to keep him motivated and they knew no matter what he would still be a valuable trade chip if they can’t keep him happy. As it stands their options for upgrades are very limited. Nobody won in this deal…Pacers didn’t get their guy…Phoenix didn’t get a s/t deal…KD isn’t going to Phoenix….only good thing Is at least this speeds the offseason along by removing the KD to Phoenix deal off the table. Honestly I think KD will remain in Brooklyn…guy is a baller…he isn’t going to sit out even if he ain’t happy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

Not a bad life! The Pacers need some center depth, right?

I'd say "why not?"  He'd probably sign for the vet minimum.  He'd be a great locker room presence. I think he can still contribute.  Fans would love it.

Seems like a no-brainer to me.

17 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I'd say "why not?"  He'd probably sign for the vet minimum.  He'd be a great locker room presence. I think he can still contribute.  Fans would love it.

We'll see. I just hope he lands somewhere. I could see him not being picked up this offseason but staying in shape in case there is an opening on a good team mid-season. 

He's proven he can't play a full season anyways. I'm just not sure he'd be that attractive of a signing mid-season when teams have investments in two-way guys, etc.

If he doesn't get picked up I wonder if he hangs it up or if he still wants to play and goes overseas or something?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

They won’t even look at signing a center until they trade 1 or 2.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

We'll see. I just hope he lands somewhere. I could see him not being picked up this offseason but staying in shape in case there is an opening on a good team mid-season. 

He's proven he can't play a full season anyways. I'm just not sure he'd be that attractive of a signing mid-season when teams have investments in two-way guys, etc.

If he doesn't get picked up I wonder if he hangs it up or if he still wants to play and goes overseas or something?

I’d imagine if he wants to play the money would be overseas. I can’t see a lot of opportunities here unless he is taking a vet minimum for a veteran team. Maybe Mavs throw him a bone lol? He doesn’t need the money. Maybe he comes back to Indiana and joins up with Hulls?

19 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I’d imagine if he wants to play the money would be overseas. I can’t see a lot of opportunities here unless he is taking a vet minimum for a veteran team. Maybe Mavs throw him a bone lol? He doesn’t need the money. Maybe he comes back to Indiana and joins up with Hulls?

Fort Wayne Mad Ants?  lol

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Heard him on a few podcasts….great sense of humor.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yeah, I just don't know if there is a spot for him in the NBA anymore. A young developing team isn't bringing him in. 

I'm not sure how enticing it is for a contender either, he can't stay healthy and doesn't really have much playoff experience anyways. 

Not trying to down him, but I'm wondering if this might be the end for him? I don't see him as an overseas guy at this point 

Maybe if healthy he has one more vet minimum deal in him. He's a great locker room guy, plays solid defense and is smart. 

Hope he gets a shot somewhere. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, I just don't know if there is a spot for him in the NBA anymore. A young developing team isn't bringing him in. 

I'm not sure how enticing it is for a contender either, he can't stay healthy and doesn't really have much playoff experience anyways. 

Not trying to down him, but I'm wondering if this might be the end for him? I don't see him as an overseas guy at this point 

Maybe if healthy he has one more vet minimum deal in him. He's a great locker room guy, plays solid defense and is smart. 

Hope he gets a shot somewhere. 

There are far worse bigs being brought off the bench. Would need to be the right situation. Like you said great locker room guy….could be a nice mentor too. Imagine it’s just does he want that end of nench role or does he want to compete every night.

Edited by dgambill