NBA Thread

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Sounds like Chet Holmgren might have a severe foot injury. He got hurt in a Pro Am game trying to dunk on Labron. Not good for a young big guy to get foot injuries

Not surprising and why I would not have taken him top 5. 9ft tall on a buck 50 frame this seemed to me fairly obvious and unfortunately I feel this will be more the norm than the exception for hi.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Sounds like Chet Holmgren might have a severe foot injury. He got hurt in a Pro Am game trying to dunk on Labron. Not good for a young big guy to get foot injuries

Just coming over to post this. 

And so it begins.  

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/chet-holmgren-injury-update-thunder-fear-no-2-overall-pick-has-suffered-ligament-damage-in-foot-per-report/

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, rico said:

IIRC, David Robinson getting hurt led to the Spurs landing Tim Duncan.

I’m just fed up with teams tanking for the better part of a decade. You have teams like the Pacers spend a decade fighting for an 8 seed because even if they do bottom out they won’t tank and if they do there are teams that have it down to a science….shouldn’t reward teams doing it for multiple years…bad years are fine but should be inventivized to get good as fast as possible. Very much in support of a penalty for being in the bottom 5 multiple years. You get a top 5 pick then you can’t pick in top 5 for two more years. So best you could do is 6…following year would be 11. It would incentivize teams to sign free agents and try to build winning teams and not to just try to keep losing year after year until you have 5-6 top 5 picks on your roster like OKC does…or Philly did for several years.

40 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I’m just fed up with teams tanking for the better part of a decade. You have teams like the Pacers spend a decade fighting for an 8 seed because even if they do bottom out they won’t tank and if they do there are teams that have it down to a science….shouldn’t reward teams doing it for multiple years…bad years are fine but should be inventivized to get good as fast as possible. Very much in support of a penalty for being in the bottom 5 multiple years. You get a top 5 pick then you can’t pick in top 5 for two more years. So best you could do is 6…following year would be 11. It would incentivize teams to sign free agents and try to build winning teams and not to just try to keep losing year after year until you have 5-6 top 5 picks on your roster like OKC does…or Philly did for several years.

Interesting.  But it seems like it wasn't all that long ago that OKC was a championship caliber team.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, rico said:

Interesting.  But it seems like it wasn't all that long ago that OKC was a championship caliber team.

Not too long…and honestly maybe it’s just me being bitter because Chris Paul had them a playoff team a few years back..but when you have that many young players and you have all that cap space and you don’t even attempt to sign a veteran it just tells me they are committed to continuing the suck.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dgambill said:

Not too long…and honestly maybe it’s just me being bitter because Chris Paul had them a playoff team a few years back..but when you have that many young players and you have all that cap space and you don’t even attempt to sign a veteran it just tells me they are committed to continuing the suck.

The Thunder had a long run of winning.  And many of future HoFers on those teams.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

Gary Harris tore up his knee. Didn’t even know he was still in the league. Somehow he just got a 2 year 26 million extension….geez! No wonder these kids be bolting for the nba…turn a mediocre career into a 100 million easily lol.

It's all about getting on a roster...and making it to that second contract.  Doesn't matter about stats or playing time...just stay on a roster.

• Like 2

Regarding tanking, baseball is drifting in the right direction.

“For the next five years, the first six picks in the draft will be decided by a lottery system that will give the three teams with the worst record the same odds of drafting No. 1.

Additionally, revenue sharing recipients (small-market teams) will not be able to receive a lottery pick more than two years in a row, and teams that pay revenue sharing (big-market teams) will not receive a lottery pick in consecutive years.”

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/33718964/the-new-cba-was-supposed-end-tanking-mlb-here-why

I would like to see the NBA follow this too.  I’d honestly be harsher.  

• Like 2

On 8/28/2022 at 12:49 PM, BobSaccamanno said:

Regarding tanking, baseball is drifting in the right direction.

“For the next five years, the first six picks in the draft will be decided by a lottery system that will give the three teams with the worst record the same odds of drafting No. 1.

Additionally, revenue sharing recipients (small-market teams) will not be able to receive a lottery pick more than two years in a row, and teams that pay revenue sharing (big-market teams) will not receive a lottery pick in consecutive years.”

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/33718964/the-new-cba-was-supposed-end-tanking-mlb-here-why

I would like to see the NBA follow this too.  I’d honestly be harsher.  

Agreed!! What I have been saying all along. I’m just saying a top 5 pick should mean you can’t pick in the top 5 next year…and if you are in 6-10 then you can’t pick in top 10 the 3rd year. Back of the line as the first pick in the next bracket. Obviously baseball has a lot of rounds but too many of these small markets are just becoming farm leagues for the Yankees, Dodgers, etc

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

A late first rounder though…

Garland, Mitchell, and Mobley is a hell of a young core. 

Don’t forget Allen. That said that is a tiny backcourt and honestly a poor defensive backcourt. Garland and Mitchell….neither play defense…and both like to have the ball in their hands (very ball dominant). They certainly are an all star wing away from really being a contender but at least they are taking a swing at it. Saved the Knicks from being awful for another decade. Imagine a backcourt of Mitchell and Brunson….seen single ply toilet paper hold up better than those two on defense.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, dgambill said:

Agreed!! What I have been saying all along. I’m just saying a top 5 pick should mean you can’t pick in the top 5 next year…and if you are in 6-10 then you can’t pick in top 10 the 3rd year. Back of the line as the first pick in the next bracket. Obviously baseball has a lot of rounds but too many of these small markets are just becoming farm leagues for the Yankees, Dodgers, etc

That should guarantee the Cavs make the playoffs next year which means the Pacers get their first rounder next year 

• Like 1