NBA Thread

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Tweets still not embedding, but this tweet is the owner of the Celtics saying there was a "volume of violations", as in plural. 

That alone separates this from any comparison most likely. 

While we don't know the details, i think the severity of the punishment makes it pretty clear that this was more then just an office affair. 

https://twitter.com/JaredWeissNBA/status/1573334797937774593?t=W5Y-bjqvHCwW3jj-9gZUfQ&s=19

Then fire him for insubordination for failing to stop when told to do so. 

A suspension does nothing but diminish the seriousness of the trangression.  Kind of like "We're mad at you for this, but we still want you to be coach."

It's basically implying that the 'rule' he broke is so minor that it's not a fireable offense, but what is really pissing them off is he ignored their 'advice' when told to stop.

And, quite frankly, any organization that tells a person who he/she can and cannot date is out of line.

32 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

A suspension does nothing but diminish the seriousness of the trangression.  Kind of like "We're mad at you for this, but we still want you to be coach."

It's basically implying that the 'rule' he broke is so minor that it's not a fireable offense, but what is really pissing them off is he ignored their 'advice' when told to stop.

And, quite frankly, any organization that tells a person who he/she can and cannot date is out of line.

I agree with the first part. The bold part is a bit more up for debate.

Sure, an organization shouldn't have oversight in someone's personal/private affairs, but relationships within a company can be very tricky due to the power dynamic and preferential treatment potentialities. 

To that extent, there is free choice: continue dating or choose [x] employment. 

*I'm also not assuming this is a "one size fits all situation* but there are merits to the separation of personal & professional relationships.

• Like 1

Per CBS:

Stevens did not consider returning as Celtics coach

When the news of Udoka's suspension first dropped, many assumed that Stevens himself -- the team's former coach and current president of basketball operations -- would return to his former seat. It made sense. The Celtics are a championship contender. Asking a first-time head coach to take over under such unfortunate circumstances puts that coach in a difficult position. Stevens has proven he can win with this roster.

But as he explained, he did not consider returning to the bench. While co-owner Wyc Grousbeck acknowledged that there was a conversation about it, they ultimately decided to go with Mazzulla. "Joe's the best choice to do that by a long shot," Stevens said.

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I think everyone would be wise to wait until the facts come out, or at least understand that the Celtics have the facts and we don't. 

Given what I've read and heard, this seems to me to be a case where the Celtics had to take immediate action to remove Udoka from the team, and that further action will be coming after legal due diligence and negotiation. 

The statement the Celtics releases said that Udoka's standing with the team will be reevaluated. My guess is they are legally working on a separation but didn't want to wait on that process, given that media day is Monday. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, BGleas said:

Really, really interesting from Matt Barnes. Seems he's found out what really happened. 

https://twitter.com/GangCeltics/status/1573363205468000256?t=eFDNOj0zhzfhQloVH5ibgw&s=19

I appreciate that he posted that. I'm guessing we won't ever learn all the facts, but I don't think he's going to coach in the NBA again. 

I think you were spot on that they suspended quickly and are working through the details beyond that, and I doubt another organization picks him up. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BGleas said:

Really, really interesting from Matt Barnes. Seems he's found out what really happened. 

https://twitter.com/GangCeltics/status/1573363205468000256?t=eFDNOj0zhzfhQloVH5ibgw&s=19

When the Celtics released their statement you could see the wording was chosen very carefully. My guess without knowing any of the actual facts the suspension was step 1...but from what Barnes talked about this is or could be very ugly.

Out of curiosity for those in the know....do all NBA franchises have a no dating policy? Or is this just Boston?

5 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Out of curiosity for those in the know....do all NBA franchises have a no dating policy? Or is this just Boston?

Their employee handbook is like every other company employee handbook. All the basic stuff. I'm sure a coaches contract has some extra clauses around conduct detrimental to the organization as well. 

I think this is well beyond a dating policy violation. Based on the verbiage of the Celtics statement Thursday, the owners use of "multiple violations" at the presser, the severity of the punishment and finally the Matt Barnes video, this is much more then just two co-workers having an affair. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

When the Celtics released their statement you could see the wording was chosen very carefully. My guess without knowing any of the actual facts the suspension was step 1...but from what Barnes talked about this is or could be very ugly.

My guess is that this goes very far beyond just dating based on how people that do know the facts are talking about it. 

• Like 2

The implication is that the Lakers were not satisfied with the offers on the table. As far as the reporting tells us, the two primary deals discussed involved Myles Turner and Buddy Hield from Indiana or Bojan Bogdanovic and a selection of other role players from the Jazz. The Lakers may have traded Westbrook already if Kyrie Irving was truly on the table, but all signs suggest that he was not, and he is set to play out the final year of his contract in Brooklyn. If the Lakers are waiting for another player of Irving's caliber to become available, well, they might never make a trade. Role player deals will be available all season. Eventually, the Lakers will have to decide how much of the season they're willing to sacrifice waiting for the perfect trade. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/lakers-media-day-takeaways-pelinka-willing-to-trade-first-round-picks-westbrook-stresses-professionalism/

Saw Bill Simmons on Twitter suggest the Celts make Vogel the highest paid assistant in the league, let him miss some games to fly back and forth to his family in LA. I don't think it's a crazy idea at all. He has roots in Boston and a relationship with Stevens, and that team doesn't want to waste a year without a coach to win them games.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Saw Bill Simmons on Twitter suggest the Celts make Vogel the highest paid assistant in the league, let him miss some games to fly back and forth to his family in LA. I don't think it's a crazy idea at all. He has roots in Boston and a relationship with Stevens, and that team doesn't want to waste a year without a coach to win them games.

Interesting thought. Vogel is really well liked in the organization. He was a video coordinator when i first got there and then moved up to an assistant. 

• Like 1

On 9/23/2022 at 12:56 PM, MoyeCowbell said:

I agree with the first part. The bold part is a bit more up for debate.

Sure, an organization shouldn't have oversight in someone's personal/private affairs, but relationships within a company can be very tricky due to the power dynamic and preferential treatment potentialities. 

To that extent, there is free choice: continue dating or choose [x] employment. 

*I'm also not assuming this is a "one size fits all situation* but there are merits to the separation of personal & professional relationships.

Good call, here @MoyeCowbell

"The  power dynamic associated with a superior's improper relationship with a staff member was the primary finding and policy violation cited in the law firm's report, which was commissioned by the Celtics and completed early last week, sources said."

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

On 9/23/2022 at 3:31 PM, rico said:

Per CBS:

Stevens did not consider returning as Celtics coach

When the news of Udoka's suspension first dropped, many assumed that Stevens himself -- the team's former coach and current president of basketball operations -- would return to his former seat. It made sense. The Celtics are a championship contender. Asking a first-time head coach to take over under such unfortunate circumstances puts that coach in a difficult position. Stevens has proven he can win with this roster.

But as he explained, he did not consider returning to the bench. While co-owner Wyc Grousbeck acknowledged that there was a conversation about it, they ultimately decided to go with Mazzulla. "Joe's the best choice to do that by a long shot," Stevens said.

I heard that was because Brad's waiting on IU to offer him the head coach job.

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, ATX_sig said:

Are the Pacers still going to be in tank mode.  Watched Vic. W and Scoot some last night. Both seem to have the potential of next gen talents. Have the game DVR'd so will watch more.  It is probably to be replayed on ESPN or maybe on demand in the app. 

Pretty sure they will be in the lottery again this year but will be more entertaining to watch

On 10/5/2022 at 3:15 PM, ATX_sig said:

Are the Pacers still going to be in tank mode.  Watched Vic. W and Scoot some last night. Both seem to have the potential of next gen talents. Have the game DVR'd so will watch more.  It is probably to be replayed on ESPN or maybe on demand in the app. 

We better be. We need our Giannis or next gen equivalent to lead us. I don’t see a star on this team and I doubt we find one in free agency.