NBA Thread

Story does not say if the woman reports to him or not.  I think that should be a key factor in whatever punishment is handed out.  Seriously, if the woman works in Accounting, who the hell cares if they both work for the Celtics.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/34639780/boston-celtics-coach-ime-udoka-facing-potential-disciplinary-action-team-violation-sources-say

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Story does not say if the woman reports to him or not.  I think that should be a key factor in whatever punishment is handed out.  Seriously, if the woman works in Accounting, who the hell cares if they both work for the Celtics.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/34639780/boston-celtics-coach-ime-udoka-facing-potential-disciplinary-action-team-violation-sources-say

Is it bad that my first reaction was "i wonder if its one of my old co-workers" 🤣.

For real though, not an ideal situation of course. What started as a really promising offseason (signing Gallinari, giving up almost nothing for Brogdon, etc.) has turned into almost a lost season before it starts. 

Gallo tore his ACL overseas, announced this week Robert Williams is having another knee surgery and now the Udoka news. 

Not a great few weeks for the Celtics. 

42 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Is it bad that my first reaction was "i wonder if its one of my old co-workers" 🤣.

For real though, not an ideal situation of course. What started as a really promising offseason (signing Gallinari, giving up almost nothing for Brogdon, etc.) has turned into almost a lost season before it starts. 

Gallo tore his ACL overseas, announced this week Robert Williams is having another knee surgery and now the Udoka news. 

Brad gonna put his coaching clothes back on?

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

It truly is a non-issue for me, assuming, of course, the woman was of the age of consent.  The workplace fosters far more legitimate relationships than it does sexual harassment lawsuits.  There is a huge difference.  I'll concede that one of the parties should not report to the other.  But, beyond that, let people make their own decisions about this kind of stuff.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

It truly is a non-issue for me, assuming, of course, the woman was of the age of consent.  The workplace fosters far more legitimate relationships than it does sexual harassment lawsuits.  There is a huge difference.  I'll concede that one of the parties should not report to the other.  But, beyond that, let people make their own decisions about this kind of stuff.

How many former co-workers are you divorced from?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Does the punishment fit the crime?  Was there some lewd acts performed in public spaces or on bosses desks?  This doesn't add up so far.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Its all rumors right now, but it's sounding like this is going to be more than just an office affair. 

• Sad 1

This story is uncomfortable.  For this to be worthy of a year long suspension, there has to be more than meets the eye.    I am in the 5Fouls camp that if it were consensual and not a direct report, I’d suspend him for a half of a preseason game.

Something may have gone south.  The problem with how it’s materializing is that it lets your imagination run wild.  From what I’ve seen from Twitter, there’s speculation as to who the woman is.  That’s not healthy.  

The problem is coordinating the story with as little damage as possible.  If you don’t tell a story, do you want every female employee wearing a Scarlett letter?

Edited by BobSaccamanno

I can't reconcile any scenario that warrants a year-long suspension

• If he sexually assaulted the woman, arrest and prosecute him.
  • If a group of elementary kids on a field trip to Boston Garden stumbled across him and the woman doing the tango on the center court emblem, fire him.
  • If the owner caught the woman buttoning her top while leaving his office, fine him and put him on probation.
  • If he and the woman had dinner and went back to his place afterward, who the hell cares.

In my mind, there is no scenario that warrants a one-year suspension for having an intimate relationship, only to allow him to come back like nothing happened.  

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I can't reconcile any scenario that warrants a year-long suspension

• If he sexually assaulted the woman, arrest and prosecute him.
  • If a group of elementary kids on a field trip to Boston Garden stumbled across him and the woman doing the tango on the center court emblem, fire him.
  • If the owner caught the woman buttoning her top while leaving his office, fine him and put him on probation.
  • If he and the woman had dinner and went back to his place afterward, who the hell cares.

In my mind, there is no scenario that warrants a one-year suspension for having an intimate relationship, only to allow him to come back like nothing happened.  

Coaches need a union.

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

DD brought up a good point on his show today.  The Lakers owner Jeani Buss was in a relationship with Lakers coach Phil Jackson so why was no one suspended for that.

Could be a couple things. She didn’t become owner until 2013 Phil wasn’t coaching the Lakers then. I don’t know if she worked for the lakers then or not either though. Also it could be as simple as maybe it’s not against the rules to date co workers at the lakers. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

DD brought up a good point on his show today.  The Lakers owner Jeani Buss was in a relationship with Lakers coach Phil Jackson so why was no one suspended for that.

That's not really a good point. It might be if it was the league handing down this suspension but it isn't, it's the Celtics who are suspending him. What the Lakers did or didn't do has absolutely no bearing on this situation.

Tweets still not embedding, but this tweet is the owner of the Celtics saying there was a "volume of violations", as in plural. 

That alone separates this from any comparison most likely. 

While we don't know the details, i think the severity of the punishment makes it pretty clear that this was more then just an office affair. 

https://twitter.com/JaredWeissNBA/status/1573334797937774593?t=W5Y-bjqvHCwW3jj-9gZUfQ&s=19

• Like 3