NBA Thread

40 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

Mental health issues and the young man wants/needs to take time away.  That's what I read.

That’s what Primo put out and I hope that’s all there is to it. Not sure why the Spurs would cut him instead of grant him a leave if that’s all it is, though. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dgambill said:

He was officially put on their IL before he left. Injury was reported as left glute strain…so officially pain in the ass. Most likely a mutual decision to move on.

Not sure on the mutual thing, why would the Spurs move on if there wasn't a good reason to? He was a lottery pick a year ago and looked like a part of their future. Even if it was just a mutual decision that he needs a fresh start for his mental health, you'd trade him. He had value.

Something just seems fishy with this whole thing. 

Some more facts on the Primo situation:

• Spurs just had exercised his option, and by all accounts were excited about a future that included him.
  • This is very abrupt, he played in their first four games and was averaging over 20 minutes per game.
  • They pulled all Primo merchandise from their team stores, that's not normal at all.
  • The Spurs to my knowledge haven't said anything about it, the trauma information is coming from Primo. Not saying he isn't dealing with trauma or downplaying that, but that's not a reason to cut someone.
  • The Spurs historically have supported players dealing with mental health issues - notably Demar Derozan. 

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

Some more facts on the Primo situation:

• Spurs just had exercised his option, and by all accounts were excited about a future that included him.
  • This is very abrupt, he played in their first four games and was averaging over 20 minutes per game.
  • They pulled all Primo merchandise from their team stores, that's not normal at all.
  • The Spurs to my knowledge haven't said anything about it, the trauma information is coming from Primo. Not saying he isn't dealing with trauma or downplaying that, but that's not a reason to cut someone.
  • The Spurs historically have supported players dealing with mental health issues - notably Demar Derozan. 

“The San Antonio Spurs' release of guard Joshua Primo -- the No. 12 pick in the 2021 NBA draft -- stemmed from multiple alleged instances of him exposing himself to women, sources told ESPN on Saturday.“

• Like 1

8 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Pacers beat the Nets 125-116 for their second win in a row on the road. Pacers hit 23 3's which is a franchise record 

I think the Pacers young players may be too good to tank as bad as we need. Benny and Hali have the looks of one of the best young 1-2 combos in the league.

Add in a lot of other intriguing young role players like Smith, IJax, Duarte, Nesmith, and Nembhard and the Pacers may have something sooner than later. 

• Sad 1

47 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I think the Pacers young players may be too good to tank as bad as we need. Benny and Hali have the looks of one of the best young 1-2 combos in the league.

Add in a lot of other intriguing young role players like Smith, IJax, Duarte, Nesmith, and Nembhard and the Pacers may have something sooner than later. 

I know…it makes me sad. We can’t tank even when we should. Then you have teams like OKC and others with a whole squad of top 10 picks and they will easily end up in the top 3.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Not sure on the mutual thing, why would the Spurs move on if there wasn't a good reason to? He was a lottery pick a year ago and looked like a part of their future. Even if it was just a mutual decision that he needs a fresh start for his mental health, you'd trade him. He had value.

Something just seems fishy with this whole thing. 

Yes..sorry I read another report that it was mutual but clearly that report was fed by his agent. I heard rumblings of mental health issues a few days ago but flashing women is well beyond the normal scopes of mental health..that’s sexual harassment bordering on assault.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yes..sorry I read another report that it was mutual but clearly that report was fed by his agent. I heard rumblings of mental health issues a few days ago but flashing women is well beyond the normal scopes of mental health..that’s sexual harassment bordering on assault.

Yeah his team definitely was doing PR before the real reason dropped. Props to the Spurs for acting quickly.

I know they did the right and obvious thing to do, but we’ve unfortunately seen a lot of examples of teams not doing that, especially this quickly. Good for the Spurs. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

Yeah his team definitely was doing PR before the real reason dropped. Props to the Spurs for acting quickly.

I know they did the right and obvious thing to do, but we’ve unfortunately seen a lot of examples of teams not doing that, especially this quickly. Good for the Spurs. 

Makes me wonder how many potential law suits are in the works for Primo?  And are/were the Spurs aware of them?