March Madness thread

rico

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I did 2 brackets on ESPN just for fun and I have my final 4 in tact and have TT over UVA in the final. It says that I am in the 99%ile and I am ranked 107,000 .  This was my number 2 bracket the first was pretty busted. 

Well, I have been filling out my bracket as the games have been played. 

My bracket is perfect.  Nyah, nyah, nyah.  

99 percantile.....pfffttt.

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Well, I have been filling out my bracket as the games have been played. 

My bracket is perfect.  Nyah, nyah, nyah.  

99 percantile.....pfffttt.

I cant get any bragging right on it though because I was so ticked that we were not part of it I did not play our usual family pool or office or even get in a group on ESPN. The 1 time I might actually win and I am not in any group. 

Truth is I got tired of losing to my wife who picks her teams based on Team mascots or colors and cute guys. I guess thats the winning formula

Just skimming some of the pages, what is the complete lack of self awareness to be an IU fan and mock Purdue for losing in the elite 8 in a hard fought game in overtime?  Hats off to Purdue, IMO.  They played an admirable brand of basketball.  Good team ball, overachieving, etc.  That's what basketball in this state is about.  I say this as someone who doesn't like Purdue but can function in the real world.

There is always a Matt Howard, Luke Harangody, Kyle Guy, or heck even a Grady Eifert that comes out of this state and just makes winning plays on good teams.  IU has been lost in the wilderness without a compass and the contrast with Purdue tells the entire story.  I believe Archie gets it and let's hope we start attracting the right talent.

26 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Just skimming some of the pages, what is the complete lack of self awareness to be an IU fan and mock Purdue for losing in the elite 8 in a hard fought game in overtime?  Hats off to Purdue, IMO.  They played an admirable brand of basketball.  Good team ball, overachieving, etc.  That's what basketball in this state is about.  I say this as someone who doesn't like Purdue but can function in the real world.

There is always a Matt Howard, Luke Harangody, Kyle Guy, or heck even a Grady Eifert that comes out of this state and just makes winning plays on good teams.  IU has been lost in the wilderness without a compass and the contrast with Purdue tells the entire story.  I believe Archie gets it and let's hope we start attracting the right talent.

I get the sentiment about the lack of self-awareness of an IU fan, but I wouldn't necessarily say they play good team ball. Carsen Edwards, is the biggest volume shooter in the country. He is literally number one in FGA and attempts per game. Top it all off, he is a guard that barely gets any assists. He had 0 assists late in regulation of their elite 8 game. He is a quintessential ball hog. Yes, he carried them through the tournament and was fantastic. But there are plenty of games this year he was shooting too much to his team's detriment. Look no further than their last possession in which they were able to get a shot off. They needed 1 point and he shoots some dumb contested 3. 

I can't speak for anyone else, but I was just reveling in the fact that Purdue lost, not making fun of them losing, because obviously IU's season was a disappointment. I was just glad they didn't advance. It couldn't have been a more perfect weekend. UK, Duke, UNC, and Purdue all lose. 

6 minutes ago, keeper05 said:

I get the sentiment about the lack of self-awareness of an IU fan, but I wouldn't necessarily say they play good team ball. Carsen Edwards, is the biggest volume shooter in the country. He is literally number one in FGA and attempts per game. Top it all off, he is a guard that barely gets any assists. He had 0 assists late in regulation of their elite 8 game. He is a quintessential ball hog. Yes, he carried them through the tournament and was fantastic. But there are plenty of games this year he was shooting too much to his team's detriment. Look no further than their last possession in which they were able to get a shot off. They needed 1 point and he shoots some dumb contested 3. 

I can't speak for anyone else, but I was just reveling in the fact that Purdue lost, not making fun of them losing, because obviously IU's season was a disappointment. I was just glad they didn't advance. It couldn't have been a more perfect weekend. UK, Duke, UNC, and Purdue all lose. 

Copied this post I made about 10 pages ago to substantiate your post.

Hold on. Let's back it up a bit on all the Carson love.

In the B1G this season, Edwards had the following shooting games-

Minn--4-17 in the conference tournament, 7-31 and 6-20

Northwestern--6-18

Nebraska--3-16

Maryland --8-27

IU--4-24 and 6-18

MSU---4-19 and 3-16

The only NCAA tournament team from the B1G that he shot over 50% against was Ohio St. He shot just over 39% for the year.

In the above games, the Toiletmakers went 7-4. With 4 of those wins against non-tournament teams.

While Edwards star sure did shine during this tournament, I would suggest that at least part of that was due to playing against unfamiliar opponents and teams who only had two days to prepare for what PU runs. At the next level, whatever that is for Edwards, he is going to go against elite level athletes, and coaching who will know him, and his team, inside and out.

Good for the kid that he took advantage of the national stage he was on, and probably made himself a lot of money. But lets not kid ourselves into thinking that he is this consistent, lights out shooter. 

By all accounts this isn't an April Fools joke. Kentucky has offered Calipari a lifetime contract. The funny part is Cal got Kentucky to offer him this contract after UCLA apparently offered $1 M per year less to be their coach. Cal can sell man. 

An alternate theory also could be this. UCLA stepped up and can now at least say they've tried to lure the big dogs knowing full well it would be accepted. They look like they tried. 

48 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Copied this post I made about 10 pages ago to substantiate your post.

Hold on. Let's back it up a bit on all the Carson love.

In the B1G this season, Edwards had the following shooting games-

Minn--4-17 in the conference tournament, 7-31 and 6-20

Northwestern--6-18

Nebraska--3-16

Maryland --8-27

IU--4-24 and 6-18

MSU---4-19 and 3-16

The only NCAA tournament team from the B1G that he shot over 50% against was Ohio St. He shot just over 39% for the year.

In the above games, the Toiletmakers went 7-4. With 4 of those wins against non-tournament teams.

While Edwards star sure did shine during this tournament, I would suggest that at least part of that was due to playing against unfamiliar opponents and teams who only had two days to prepare for what PU runs. At the next level, whatever that is for Edwards, he is going to go against elite level athletes, and coaching who will know him, and his team, inside and out.

Good for the kid that he took advantage of the national stage he was on, and probably made himself a lot of money. But lets not kid ourselves into thinking that he is this consistent, lights out shooter. 

I think you’re underselling Carsen just a wee bit. 

6 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I think you’re underselling Carsen just a wee bit. 

You'll need to explain that, then. The stats he's given are facts, as are the things he's saying about the next level. What part of that post is "underselling" CE?

Regarding team ball, I would say the team had players in certain roles, and everyone knew what they were supposed to do.  Carsen went for 40, 29 and 42 (or close to that).  You gotta feed the monster when that's happening.  But then you've got Eastern as the perimeter defender, Haarms as the rim protector etc.  

Reveling in Purdue losing is fine but to mock them for a supposed failure is where IU fans look bad because of the lack of self awareness.  IU invented Indiana basketball, Butler picked it up and now Purdue has it, while IU lacks the right culture.

I am old enough to remember IU being really good, and Purdue fans acted like this.  They looked like sore losers and frankly idiotic considering their resume.  

46 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

By all accounts this isn't an April Fools joke. Kentucky has offered Calipari a lifetime contract. The funny part is Cal got Kentucky to offer him this contract after UCLA apparently offered $1 M per year less to be their coach. Cal can sell man. 

An alternate theory also could be this. UCLA stepped up and can now at least say they've tried to lure the big dogs knowing full well it would be accepted. They look like they tried. 

This story is true.  The surprise isn't that Cal turned it down.  It's that UCLA is willing to pay $8 million a year for the right coach.

Will be interesting to see who they get, and how much that person makes.  Maybe $3 million a year?

13 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

You'll need to explain that, then. The stats he's given are facts, as are the things he's saying about the next level. What part of that post is "underselling" CE?

Talking about why he had success in the tournament. Teams had plenty of film and info to know exactly what Carsen does. We played Tennessee last year and Nova a few years ago. They knew who Carsen was. I’m sure Tony Bennett wasn’t surprised by what Carsen did. His run was very similar to what Kemba did. 

9 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Talking about why he had success in the tournament. Teams had plenty of film and info to know exactly what Carsen does. We played Tennessee last year and Nova a few years ago. They knew who Carsen was. I’m sure Tony Bennett wasn’t surprised by what Carsen did. His run was very similar to what Kemba did. 

Having film on him and having only two days to prep with said film are two different things. Something has to explain his general overall below average performance in a lot of the conference games and his elevated play outside of them. 

14 minutes ago, keeper05 said:

Having film on him and having only two days to prep with said film are two different things. Something has to explain his general overall below average performance in a lot of the conference games and his elevated play outside of them. 

With the technology of today these coaching staffs know everything their conference opponents do. I would be surprised if they dont have Intel on the color of each guys last bowl Movement. No reason in conference not to know everything.  In tourney play it's more about your team. As a coach u know as much as possible about the next team but not tell too much to the team. By the time u a game in the NCAA tournament you already have much in place for both possible opponents. 

In 1996 I sat in film room with Coach Ellenberger and we were watching a VHS tape of every possession of Iowa up to that day. This was 2 weeks prior to the game.

There is a reason for sure why he was much more effective in tournament vs conference play. I think UVA was gonna let him get his but dont let he end Cline both go off

12 minutes ago, keeper05 said:

Not sure when it started but he had been dealing with a back issue for awhile. Guessing that may have had some impact. 

14 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

He got hot at the right time...that's the biggest reason.  There was a time in the conference schedule where the defense very much bothered him and he shot it poorly.  Remains to be seen if he can maintain that shooting ability and whether pro defense can effectively adjust if he shows he can consistently stroke it from behind the arc.  He has the advantage of speed and the disadvantage of size.  I think he'll make a living playing basketball unless he gets injured.  What league and how effectively he plays and makes a living remains to be seen.

59 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Wasn't sure where to put this instead of starting new thread. Probably would get attention here. IU in Maui again in 2020. 

Edit-Some say confirmed some aren't. Hopefully I didn't post early. 

Might as well disregard this for the time being. Seems to be plenty of nothing finalized yet talk. 

Archived